Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British passport application question  (Read 258 times)

• Liked: 20
British passport application question
« on: June 09, 2023, 10:47:06 AM »
Hi,

My wife finally got citizenship after 12 1/2 weeks processing time. Hurrah! Having attended the ceremony its time for a UK Passport application.

My question is, it says to send off the passport used to enter the country and those from any other countries. The US passport used to enter UK five years ago has since expired and has been replaced by a current US passport. Does my wife have to send the new one as well as the expired one?

Thanks,
Ben

• Liked: 56
Re: British passport application question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »
You're kidding me? You have to send off your American passport???? Please tell me they tell you to include a paid envelope to return it to you?
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 08:39:43 PM »
You're kidding me? You have to send off your American passport???? Please tell me they tell you to include a paid envelope to return it to you?

That is standard practice for anyone applying for or renewing their British passport. You are asked to include passports from other countries. Our daughter renewed her UK passport this month and I told her her to just send in a photocopy of her US passport, and her new UK passport came back within a couple of weeks, no questions asked.

When I renewed mine in 2016 I did send in my US passport and it was returned no problem, along with my expired UK passport, the same with my wife in 2021. I learned about a copy being acceptable last year.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 08:42:12 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 20
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 11:05:09 PM »
Thanks. It did ask for originals so we sent it all off. I guess they may insist on originals for first issue... but good to know photocopies are ok for renewals.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 04:32:24 PM »
Thanks. It did ask for originals so we sent it all off. I guess they may insist on originals for first issue... but good to know photocopies are ok for renewals.

I'm sure you will get all your documents back okay.

Our son was in the USA when he renewed his UK passport in 2016 and for overseas renewals they only ask for a photocopy of your US passport.

Because it had expired well over 10 years ago they treated the application as a first time application.  We had to get a certified copy of his long birth certificate plus they needed info from us including our UK passport numbers.  He also needed a person to certify his photo as a true likeness so when he visited us for a couple of weeks that year we provided his documents and a very long time friend and retired headmaster did the likeness verification.  We then sent off the documents from the UK and he received his UK passport okay back at his home in the USA.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links