Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship biometrics  (Read 3920 times)

• Liked: 77
Citizenship biometrics
« on: July 19, 2023, 05:07:32 PM »
Just wanted to give a brief review of what to expect at the Sopra Steria biometrics. I paid for document scanning so some of this might be specific to my situation.

I checked in and waited in the lobby. Take a printout of your QR code, otherwise they'll have to print it off your phone.

The woman came and got me, and the first thing she did was scan my passport. After that she took my picture and did the fingerprints.

Then she started to go through the list of questions and asking for the supporting documentation. It was the referee forms, our marriage certificate, then something I wasn't expecting. "Evidence of having lived in the UK for the past 3 years? Bank statements, council tax bills, utility payments?" 😐 Excuse me?

From what I've read on this forum, that was not something I was expecting. And hence, something I did not have. She told me that we could do a delayed filing until 10pm tonight if I was able to scan them from home. I said that I could, but that I could get bank statements pulled up on my phone if there was a way to print them. She said yes, and gave me an email address to send them to. So I went on, and emailed bank statements from 2021, 2022, and 2023 to her. She said that they can be from the same source, it didn't have to be varied.

She went and got the emails printed, and brought them back and scanned them. She then scanned my ILR BRP.

I was under the impression that I would need just my ILR BRP card and that would be sufficient. Is this incorrect? Or was the worker mistaken? She told me that she isn't supposed to give advice but she felt it would almost certainly have been kicked back if I didn't provide those statements.

She then asked for my wife's passport, which she scanned. She asked if I had anything else I wanted to submit, and I asked if my drivers license would be of any benefit and she said it wouldn't hurt, and would further establish that I've in fact been residing here.

The only other thing she scanned was the email I got when I passed the Life in the UK test. She didn't seem to think it was necessary but scanned it anyway.

Anyway that was my experience. I got super nervous when she asked for the 3 years thing and I'm hoping it was just her making a mistake. Any input from the experts?

Thanks!
Applied from Sin City, USA
Submitted online priority spouse visa Nov 2nd
Biometrics appointment completed Nov 6th
Package mailed to Sheffield Nov 6th
Received in Sheffield & e-mail received Nov 8th
Decision e-mail received Dec 5th
Approved or denied?    Approved!  Received Dec 7th

• Liked: 6116
Re: Citizenship biometrics
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 05:41:45 PM »
Just wanted to give a brief review of what to expect at the Sopra Steria biometrics. I paid for document scanning so some of this might be specific to my situation.

I checked in and waited in the lobby. Take a printout of your QR code, otherwise they'll have to print it off your phone.

The woman came and got me, and the first thing she did was scan my passport. After that she took my picture and did the fingerprints.

Then she started to go through the list of questions and asking for the supporting documentation. It was the referee forms, our marriage certificate, then something I wasn't expecting. "Evidence of having lived in the UK for the past 3 years? Bank statements, council tax bills, utility payments?" 😐 Excuse me?

From what I've read on this forum, that was not something I was expecting. And hence, something I did not have. She told me that we could do a delayed filing until 10pm tonight if I was able to scan them from home. I said that I could, but that I could get bank statements pulled up on my phone if there was a way to print them. She said yes, and gave me an email address to send them to. So I went on, and emailed bank statements from 2021, 2022, and 2023 to her. She said that they can be from the same source, it didn't have to be varied.

She went and got the emails printed, and brought them back and scanned them. She then scanned my ILR BRP.

I was under the impression that I would need just my ILR BRP card and that would be sufficient. Is this incorrect? Or was the worker mistaken? She told me that she isn't supposed to give advice but she felt it would almost certainly have been kicked back if I didn't provide those statements.

She then asked for my wife's passport, which she scanned. She asked if I had anything else I wanted to submit, and I asked if my drivers license would be of any benefit and she said it wouldn't hurt, and would further establish that I've in fact been residing here.

The only other thing she scanned was the email I got when I passed the Life in the UK test. She didn't seem to think it was necessary but scanned it anyway.

Anyway that was my experience. I got super nervous when she asked for the 3 years thing and I'm hoping it was just her making a mistake. Any input from the experts?

Thanks!

That's really interesting. Thanks for your input. I'm in no way an expert on the citizenship process but we did go through it for my husband.
I found it all quite counterintuitive after the meticulous dotting I's and crossing T's which is involved with the visa application process.
(It is important to note that it's a different process and different rules apply between the two.)

It's all a bit fuzzy now (was fuzzy at the time tbh!) we certainly didn't include bank statements or utility bills. I think I did include some correspondence with HMRC to show a position of compliance but other than that, nothing bar the basics.
We had what passed as an in-person appointment at the time which was a meeting with a local council officer who checked off things as we gave them to her. I remember having to explain some of the requirements to her, but not the specifics of the conversation.

But as far as I'm aware, your passport is your proof of living in the UK. Your trips in and out of the country are digitally recorded now so you should have nothing to worry about. Especially as there is provision for them to ask for anything they need.
Interested in others' opinions too.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:43:56 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 05:49:42 PM »
That's really interesting. Thanks for your input. I'm in no way an expert on the citizenship process but we did go through it for my husband.
I found it all quite counterintuitive after the meticulous dotting I's and crossing T's which is involved with the visa application process.
(It is important to note that it's a different process and different rules apply between the two.)

It's all a bit fuzzy now (was fuzzy at the time tbh!) we certainly didn't include bank statements or utility bills. I think I did include some correspondence with HMRC to show a position of compliance but other than that, nothing bar the basics.
We had what passed as an in-person appointment at the time which was a meeting with a local council officer who checked off things as we gave them to her. I remember having to explain some of the requirements to her, but not the specifics of the conversation.

But as far as I'm aware, your passport is your proof of living in the UK. Your trips in and out of the country are digitally recorded now so you should have nothing to worry about. Especially as there is provision for them to ask for anything they need.
Interested in others' opinions too.
The woman couldn't have been nicer. I'm hoping she wanted to submit those out of an abundance of caution, but my heart sank when she asked for the evidence. It's funny (not really) but I had just taken all that stuff out of the same folder I took with me. All our bank statements and stuff from our ILR appointment in April was in the folder last night and I emptied it this afternoon. Wish I'd kept it now! But anyway yeah I'm curious what the experts and others who have gone through the process recently have to say.

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 05:56:47 PM »
I have no idea why she asked you for those documents... I don't think I've heard of anyone else needing to provide them before.

The citizenship form (Form AN) on the UKVI website literally states that all you need to provide as proof of residency is your passport(s). The only time you would need to provide other documents is if your passports do not show proof of residency.

From Form AN (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1085690/form-an-06-2022.pdf):

3: Evidence you were physically present in the UK:
• 3 years ago (if the applicant is married or in civil partnership with a British citizen), or
• 5 years ago (for all other applications)

For most applications this will be your passports but if your passports do not confirm this, letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in UK.

And from the Form AN Guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-an-guidance/form-an-guidance-accessible):

Residence Requirements
Absences
You should supply the following documents to show you have been mainly in the UK during the 5 years (or, if married to or in civil partnership to a British citizen, 3 years) before making your application:

Your passports

If you are unable to provide your passport, explain why and supply letters from employers (including start and finish dates), payslips, P60s, educational establishments or other government departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period

• Liked: 56
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 07:25:15 PM »
To carry on from what Ksand24 has said, the online application form also literally says that bank statements and utility bills CANNOT be used as evidence of presence in the UK. I remember because I've recently done the online submission and I was hoping to throw some in for good measure because the no-stamps in the passport/e-gate thing still freaks makes me nervous even though everyone on here has been reassuring about it. And I was so bummed when it said that.

To be honest, I think the people trained to take the documents aren't really trained thoroughly in the differences for each kind of application. Its a pity that you now have to pay just to have someone check that all your documents are indeed uploaded. The gentleman who helped me for my ILR in 2020 did a quick scan of them no problem when I asked.
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 427
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 09:54:24 PM »
I did my citizenship not too long ago. Your passport IS the proof of residency. The lady was mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 408
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 11:47:48 PM »
Agreeing with everything said above .
People frequently ask what does "evidence of having lived in the UK for the past 3 years" mean.  It is unclear and badly worded.

For years the response has been "just your passport" .

This lady clearly does not know that.

Additionally, something else people should be aware of is all entries and exits from the UK are now logged electronically and affiliated to your passport.
Stamps will be phased out of everywhere globally.  I am seeing more and more countries take full biometrics on entry too.

UK Spouse Visa Super Priority
2008-2012  Met/Married/Children

24APR Spouse Visa Application
05MAY Biometrics
24JULY Decision 54BD 
17AUG  Landed UK

21JAN FLRM Application
06FEB Biometrics
06FEB Approval email

22JULY ILR SET(M) Application (5 years since landing minus 27 days)
18AUG ILR Biometrics
22AUG ILR Approval email
26AUG Citizenship Application
30AUG Citizenship Biometrics (via IDV App)
21NOV Citizenship Approval email
20DEC Citizenship Ceremony
20DEC British Passport Application

14JAN British Passport Delivered

• Liked: 347
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 09:43:54 AM »
Additionally, something else people should be aware of is all entries and exits from the UK are now logged electronically and affiliated to your passport.
Stamps will be phased out of everywhere globally.  I am seeing more and more countries take full biometrics on entry too.

The UK knows who leaves the UK and when, because years ago the UK brought the exit checks back in.

Airlines must let the UK know who is on their lists to leave or enter the UK and the other ports must give various information to the government too.  It allows the UK to have police/border officers there to stop them leaving or returning. It lets the UK know which visas are more likely to have overstayers, so the UK can change those rules to stop abuse. e.g  the never ending changes for the student visa and the changes rushed in this month with immeditate effect, instead of the usual 21 days notice, to stop those on a student visa looking for ways to stay in the UK. They know which countries have the highest number of overstayers. etc

Before Brexit, it was comical to read some EEA citizens/non-EEA citizens using the EU's free movement,  moaning about getting a stamp in their passport because the EU said the UK could not do that. They clearly didn't understand that their UK records every entry and exit anyway.

Whatever you say about your travel in an application, UKVI already knows.  It's how the the Home Office staff knows how many days you have had outside the UK and if your were in the UK on a certain day. They don't need proof that you were in the UK.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 09:51:07 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 04:03:47 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Yeah the woman was just trying to be helpful I think, but it would appear she was mistaken on the things I needed to submit.

I'm hoping the unnecessary documents she scanned won't come in wrong. Everything else was in order and I was truthful on my application so I'm assuming I will be fine. 🙏🏼🤞

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 12:41:23 PM »

I'm hoping the unnecessary documents she scanned won't come in wrong. Everything else was in order and I was truthful on my application so I'm assuming I will be fine. 🙏🏼🤞

As long as you were honest in every application: even ones that you didn't use for citizenship: and in all government department dealings, there is nothing to worry about now, or in the future.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 01:03:13 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 12:58:14 PM »
  I am extremely optimistic and confident in the UK visa/citizenship process because it is binary: if you meet the criteria (which you do) you will obtain the visa or passport.  This is from experience where we have been denied other countries' citizenship where the process and decision is discretionary .

British Citizenship is also discretionary: that's why applicants can be refused. The UK government/previous governments, state British citizenship is a privilege and not a right.

It's why British Citizenship can be removed from those who Naturalised (adult), Registered (child) and also from those who were born a British Citizen (as long as the Home Secretary thinks they have a claim to another citizenship).

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 10:44:31 PM »
Just wanted to give an update. Over the weekend I got an email with a request for further evidence. They asked me to provide a copy of my discharge letter from a bankruptcy I had in the US in 2012. I was a little surprised by this since it wasn't mentioned anywhere that I ever saw, and the woman at my appointment never said anything about it.

Anyway I chased it up (no longer have the original letter so I had to contact the law firm who handled it back in Vegas) and have sent the letter to Home Office per their request.

So my question now is, will this greatly delay the processing? I presume they were looking at it in order to request the information, but will my application go back to the bottom of the pile? Or will they pull it back up again now that I've emailed them the info?

It'll be the 3 month mark a week from today so fingers crossed it's sorted soon.

But yeah just a heads up for anyone - if you have a bankruptcy in your past, include the discharge letter in your submission, even if they don't ask for it.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 05:02:12 AM »
Just wanted to give an update. Over the weekend I got an email with a request for further evidence. They asked me to provide a copy of my discharge letter from a bankruptcy I had in the US in 2012. I was a little surprised by this since it wasn't mentioned anywhere that I ever saw, and the woman at my appointment never said anything about it.

Anyway I chased it up (no longer have the original letter so I had to contact the law firm who handled it back in Vegas) and have sent the letter to Home Office per their request.

So my question now is, will this greatly delay the processing? I presume they were looking at it in order to request the information, but will my application go back to the bottom of the pile? Or will they pull it back up again now that I've emailed them the info?

It'll be the 3 month mark a week from today so fingers crossed it's sorted soon.

But yeah just a heads up for anyone - if you have a bankruptcy in your past, include the discharge letter in your submission, even if they don't ask for it.
I should have explained that I was forthright about the bankruptcy and answered "yes" when the question about it was asked. At the time I couldn't even remember the exact year so I said "approximately October 2011", when in reality it was October 2012. So it's conceivable that they requested the letter just to verify the actual timeframe since I was a little vague on the details.

• Liked: 6116
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 06:02:04 AM »
I should have explained that I was forthright about the bankruptcy and answered "yes" when the question about it was asked. At the time I couldn't even remember the exact year so I said "approximately October 2011", when in reality it was October 2012. So it's conceivable that they requested the letter just to verify the actual timeframe since I was a little vague on the details.

According to the good character requirement, they will investigate the circumstances around any bankruptcy. It looks like you will be fine though as  your discharge letter will prove that you can be approved based on both the bankruptcy happening abroad and it happening more than 10 years ago.
Hopefully you'll not have too much longer to wait.

Consideration of financial soundness
If a person states that they have been declared bankrupt or have been a director or involved in the management of a company (either wholly or partly) that has gone into liquidation, further enquiries must be made.

On receipt of information, an application can be granted where there is evidence that:
• the bankruptcy order has been annulled
• the person was discharged at least 10 years ago
• the person was declared bankrupt abroad
• the person was involved with a company that was liquidated over 10 years ago

If the conditions above are not met but there is evidence that the person has been bankrupt or been involved with a company that went into liquidation, you must:
• take account of the scale of the bankruptcy or liquidation
• take account of the economic circumstances at the time of application when
looking at any mitigating circumstances
• make a judgement about how culpable the person was in either becoming
bankrupt or their involvement in the company that went into liquidation

You must consider whether the person was reckless or irresponsible in their financial affairs leading to their bankruptcy or their company’s liquidation. If so, it is likely to be reflected by a disqualification order which prevents a person from being a director or taking part in the management of a limited company for a period of up to 15 years. Details of all disqualifications are on the Companies House website. Where a person has a disqualification order, an application will normally be refused.
An application will also normally be refused where the person has deliberately relied on a recession to avoid payment of taxes or payment to creditors.
However, where the person was made bankrupt or their company went into liquidation through little or no fault of their own, the application will not normally be refused. For example, they may have simply been a victim of the poor business decisions of others or their business has been severely affected by an economic downturn.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1175386/Nationality_policy_-_good_character.pdf

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 11:56:29 AM »

They are looking at your application, which is good news. The only additional delay will be waiting for the applicant to send the documents they want. It won't go back to the bottom of the pile.

You did the right thing being honest on all your applications and with any dealings with government departments.

They used to say on the forums that if you lie then you need to have strong nerves for the rest of your life, always wondering if this knock on the door is because they have finally matched the deception. Of course since last year with the new laws, they don't have to knock on the door anymore as the Home Office can  remove citizenship when the exit checks trigger that persons name and then not let them back in the UK.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:02:56 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab