Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Returning after 17 years... Health insurance?  (Read 1625 times)

• Liked: 0
Returning after 17 years... Health insurance?
« on: August 21, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
Hi all,

After 17 years in the UK, there's a good possibility that I will be returning to America near the end of the year. I may even need to make that move before acquiring a job. The obvious question I have is how to secure myself some form of health insurance so that I have at least basic coverage upon my return. I did a search here (I swear!), but the posts were pretty old and often dealt with family members who were UK citizens. It's just me, an American, fearing a return without - at the very least - some form of 'catastrophic' coverage. Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Philip

• Liked: 719
Re: Returning after 17 years... Health insurance?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 12:11:07 PM »
I would take out temporary health insurance from someone like Global Nomads. (I have used them in the past but have no experience making claims).
https://www.worldnomads.com/uk/travel-insurance

The instant you are resident in the USA you can look for ACA policies there.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 12:14:15 PM »
Thank you!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 03:22:03 PM »
I agree with Durhamlad.

Also, depending on the state to which you are going, and your income, you may also be eligible for Medicaid (which is the state-level program for those who have little to no actual income).  While technically a federal program, Medicaid is devolved to the various states and so the coverage and eligibility particulars vary wildly. 

I would note that the traditionally "highly conservative" states, such as Texas and those in the deep South, have very little available to an otherwise healthy adult. Some of the "progressive" states (NY, NJ, MA, etc) have more favorable programs and allow an adult who is not disabled (and, thus, qualifies on those grounds) to "buy in" to the state programs if they are otherwise ineligible due to having too high of an income or resources.  These programs basically provide preventative care and will keep you from having a ridiculous bill if you are hospitalized. 

It's something to consider until you have employment, which will typically offer health insurance as a "perk". Again, it's different in each state, so you'd have to do some homework.  I don't believe you can sign up for any of them until you actually are living in the specific state (signed lease or other documents to prove you are a state resident.) 

Good luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab