Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starting the great adventure  (Read 470 times)

• Liked: 0
Starting the great adventure
« on: November 20, 2023, 11:25:16 PM »
Hello!

Thank you all for creating this forum and posting so many helpful topics and experiences. We have been pouring over them for a long time and finally decided we needed to join and introduce ourselves. We are going to need all the help and encouragement we can get!

Our plan:
My spouse (dual US/UK citizen) and I (US citizen) are planning a permanent move to the UK in mid 2025. We have a hard date to leave due to having secured reservations on the QM2 with kennels for our 2 pets. Our reasons for moving are primarily because we love the country! As avid hikers/walkers, the easily accessible and widely varied landscape is unequaled. As former architects specializing in preservation and reuse of historic buildings, the history is endlessly fascinating. As dog lovers and connoisseurs of fine pubs, we identify with many aspects of the culture. In a nutshell, with all of the UK’s quirky wonder, we have always felt happily at home and dreamed of our retirement there.

The logistics of a move are daunting. Reducing our “stuff”, selling our house of 23 years, organizing international movers, obtaining my spouse visa, pet health certificates, moving money/investments (or not), renting and then buying a house in the UK. It all seems a bit much sometimes, but knowing most of you have been through this all and are willing to share your experiences and wisdom, gives me hope!

I will likely be writing in with questions over the next year and a half!

Thanks again!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Starting the great adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 11:29:45 PM »
Hello!

Thank you all for creating this forum and posting so many helpful topics and experiences. We have been pouring over them for a long time and finally decided we needed to join and introduce ourselves. We are going to need all the help and encouragement we can get!

Our plan:
My spouse (dual US/UK citizen) and I (US citizen) are planning a permanent move to the UK in mid 2025. We have a hard date to leave due to having secured reservations on the QM2 with kennels for our 2 pets. Our reasons for moving are primarily because we love the country! As avid hikers/walkers, the easily accessible and widely varied landscape is unequaled. As former architects specializing in preservation and reuse of historic buildings, the history is endlessly fascinating. As dog lovers and connoisseurs of fine pubs, we identify with many aspects of the culture. In a nutshell, with all of the UK’s quirky wonder, we have always felt happily at home and dreamed of our retirement there.

The logistics of a move are daunting. Reducing our “stuff”, selling our house of 23 years, organizing international movers, obtaining my spouse visa, pet health certificates, moving money/investments (or not), renting and then buying a house in the UK. It all seems a bit much sometimes, but knowing most of you have been through this all and are willing to share your experiences and wisdom, gives me hope!

I will likely be writing in with questions over the next year and a half!

Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum.  :)

• Liked: 719
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 08:38:06 AM »
Welcome to the site, and good luck with your preparations and move.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 01:36:04 PM »
Good luck, and enjoy your time there!

Sponsored Links