Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Delays At The SSA?  (Read 722 times)

• Liked: 6
Delays At The SSA?
« on: January 05, 2024, 06:06:34 PM »
I started receiving my UK state pension in September so, as required, I informed the SSA using form SSA-308 once I knew the exact amount so that they could reduce my US state pension due to WEP.  I sent them the forms (via the FBU in London, as recommended by them) in early August and had confirmation that they were uploaded to the SSA a couple of days later.  It told me to allow 60 working days for processing.  It's now been 5 months and I'm still getting the benefit with no WEP reduction.  The only reason I'm bothered is because it's messing up my UK tax planning.  I realise they'll claw back the overpayment when the finally catch up.

Anyone experienced similar delays at the SSA recently?

BTW, I recently signed up for an SSA online account, which you previously couldn't do without a US mailing address.  I verified myself with ID.me.  Nice.

• Liked: 719
Re: Delays At The SSA?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 07:10:14 PM »
I’ve not had any dealings with them yet. When my wife applied through the FBU a couple of years ago it took 5 months after the FBU had submitted the application before she started receiving her benefits. She has an online SSA account and when we looked it said that the application had been received so at least we knew for sure they had it and we’re just sitting on it for months.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 10:51:28 AM »
I had a similar delay when I first applied for my benefit a few years ago.  It's annoying me because I calculate my IRA withdrawals so that I stay out of the 40% tax bracket in the UK.  Because I'm receiving more than I should in US state pension it's messing up that calculation.  There's no indication in my online account that they're even working on it.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 12:05:46 PM »
I had a similar delay when I first applied for my benefit a few years ago.  It's annoying me because I calculate my IRA withdrawals so that I stay out of the 40% tax bracket in the UK.  Because I'm receiving more than I should in US state pension it's messing up that calculation.  There's no indication in my online account that they're even working on it.

That is extremely frustrating.  Good luck with it.

• Liked: 55
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 05:45:45 PM »
I started receiving my UK state pension in September so, as required, I informed the SSA using form SSA-308 once I knew the exact amount so that they could reduce my US state pension due to WEP.  I sent them the forms (via the FBU in London, as recommended by them) in early August and had confirmation that they were uploaded to the SSA a couple of days later.  It told me to allow 60 working days for processing.  It's now been 5 months and I'm still getting the benefit with no WEP reduction.  The only reason I'm bothered is because it's messing up my UK tax planning.  I realise they'll claw back the overpayment when the finally catch up.

BTW, I recently signed up for an SSA online account, which you previously couldn't do without a US mailing address.  I verified myself with ID.me.  Nice.

I went through this a couple of years ago -here was my timeline:

Entitlement Date was November 2021

26/8/2021 - contacted FBU in London
13/10/2021 - telephone interview with FBU with immediate reply to their subsequent letter request.
16/03/2022 - first payment received from SSA - backdated to entitlement date.

Sounds like you may have a few more weeks to wait yet if my experience is anything to go by.

Good luck

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 10:56:27 PM »
Hi Crowman,

I just made a post about ID.me! What was the process for getting the SSA online account without a US mailing address?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 11:01:11 PM by 1penelope1 »

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 10:34:04 AM »
Hi Crowman,

I just made a post about ID.me! What was the process for getting the SSA online account without a US mailing address?

Thanks in advance!

I already had a SSA online account before moving back to England in 2017.  A few years later I created an IRS account using ID.me.  I don't recall ever creating ID.me to access the SSA account - they send a verification code to my email address.  I just logged into SSA to confirm this and I don't need ID.me because "For accounts created before September 18, 2021" I can use my original SSA username and verification via email verification code.   

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 06:31:19 PM »
Anyone have current or recent dealings with applying for social security benefits through the FBU? It’s been about 10 weeks since the interview. I’m assuming the answer will be to just wait it out but as I don’t have a job now I feel like I should at least ask.
Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 06:37:20 PM »
Anyone have current or recent dealings with applying for social security benefits through the FBU? It’s been about 10 weeks since the interview. I’m assuming the answer will be to just wait it out but as I don’t have a job now I feel like I should at least ask.

It took many months after my wife's interview with the agent from the FBU but the delay was all at the US end. We she logged onto her SS account she could see that the application was in the system and in progress for many months.

• Liked: 14
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 07:48:14 PM »
Right.. I need an idiots guide to applying for US SS.. lol...
I do have a online account, with ID.me ,  however it does not allow me to do much of anything without a US address..
Where/how do I apply  for my US SS with my UK address?
Are the forms I need online anywhere that I can fill in and send myself???

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 08:44:54 PM »
Right.. I need an idiots guide to applying for US SS.. lol...
I do have a online account, with ID.me ,  however it does not allow me to do much of anything without a US address..
Where/how do I apply  for my US SS with my UK address?
Are the forms I need online anywhere that I can fill in and send myself???

Apply online through the Federal Benefits Unit in London and an agent will call you after 6 weeks or so then put in the application which you can then view on the SS site.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/fbu_email_enquiry/

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 02:28:54 PM »

I realise this thread is a few months old, but it's popped back up with new replies, so thought I'd add my experiences very briefly, as I am still entangled with FBU and SSA almost five years after first receiving monthly SSA payments when I hit age 62. I have put a lengthy thread describing my experiences and lessons learned in the BritshExpats forum, Moving Back to the UK sub-Forum, if any of you are on that site (I have the same username). Briefly, though, below are my experiences and a few things I learned:

I communicated almost entirely with SA in the US (Baltimore?) for quite a while, after receiving written communications in the mail from them. As others have said here, if you live in the UK, it is much more efficient (and cheaper!) going through FBU London. They upload to Baltimore any documents you send to them.

I only have 10 years' contributions, so am subject to WEP. SSA started cutting my SSA payments (WEP) a year early (at age 65), even though I had filled in and returned to them various forms they sent, stating that my UK state pension doesn't kick in until age 66. (Also, according to one FBU staff member I spoke with, SSA knows UK State Pension starts at age 66, but in her words, "They keep doing that" (subtracting WEP deductions a year too early).

It took almost 10 months to get SSA to reimburse all of the WEP deductions, which took me almost to the point that I should have been WEP'ed (last April, 2023). However, since April 2023, they still are not making WEP deductions (similar to Crowman's problem)! I've filled in all the necessary forms and according to FBU, it's just SSA dragging their heels.

A major problem with FBU London is that for about a month now, they no longer answer their phone line. I must have called over 100 times and every time I get to the recorded message "The FBU is unable to take your call" ... sometimes I do get to the point where I am put on hold, then after an hour or so either the phone line goes dead, or I get put through to the same recorded message. You can send emails to FBU but from my experience they are not read carefully and the answer you get may have nothing to do with the question you asked!

Bottom line is that going through FBU is better than dealing in writing with SSA Baltimore, but even FBU has become increasingly inefficient with time. Things take a LONG time to be processed, so get to things as early as possible, and expect and plan for delays..

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 03:44:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My online account hasn’t shown anything new for a couple of months. I had one message that said they  would need a signed application and the same message said the FBU was handling it and they would contact me if needed. At the interview they said they didn’t need anything else and would send it to Baltimore. I suppose when you are dealing with two different branches it’s going to look confusing sometimes.

Even if it’s just a matter of waiting it’s good to know that is common whilst there are no updates to our accounts.
Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2024, 02:20:42 AM »
The last time I checked, and this was late last summer, they were saying that applications from people in the USA who applied for Social Security payments to begin were taking from three to five months to process (assuming nothing went wrong and/or no additional info was needed).

Not sure how helpful that info is for you, but in case....

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2024, 07:52:04 AM »
The last time I checked, and this was late last summer, they were saying that applications from people in the USA who applied for Social Security payments to begin were taking from three to five months to process (assuming nothing went wrong and/or no additional info was needed).

Not sure how helpful that info is for you, but in case....

Thanks Nan, certainly helpful to me as I’ll be applying later this year.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab