Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: SSA spousal benefit UK wife  (Read 383 times)

• Liked: 4
SSA spousal benefit UK wife
« on: January 30, 2024, 10:18:41 AM »
Hi all.

It is my understanding that I (US/UK) and my wife (UK only) will only pay tax on benefits in the UK as we are resident here. Hope that is correct.

Is there any kind of reporting required to the IRS for her spousal benefits as they are US based even though there is no tax due? I file married and separate.

Considering the amount she would get and the high cost of getting taxes prepared I'm trying to judge if it's worth the hassle if it's all going to go to the tax man and accountants.

I have a call will SSA on Friday to get my benefits started and they will ask about hers as well.

Thanks again for anyone's help. Without this forum I would have packed it in and gone back years ago to where I knew my way around all the admin.

Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

• Liked: 719
Re: SSA spousal benefit UK wife
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 12:07:28 PM »
Hopefully Guya will drop by to confirm this but I don't believe she needs to file a US return given that she is not a USC, is resident in the UK and is not listed on your US return.

She will, I believe, have to file an HMRC Self Assessment if her SS benefits take her total income over the HMRC threshold of £12,570.  That should be easy to do online.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 4
Re: SSA spousal benefit UK wife
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 09:06:38 PM »
Brilliant. Thanks for your help!
Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

Sponsored Links