Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR (M) Pre-Application Questions  (Read 444 times)

• Liked: 0
FLR (M) Pre-Application Questions
« on: February 04, 2024, 08:52:23 AM »
Hi,
Two and half years since my last post, I'm back for an FLR(M) renewal! Thanks for all of your help last time around.

My wife has application coming up having switched from a student visa in 2021. The expiry date on her BRP is 29th March, which means we can essentially apply any time in March, correct?

We’re just getting our papers in order and had a few questions to ask so that we can arrange the right paperwork.

Financial Requirements
We have three options here:
1 - I started a new job on 1st September 2023 and will have worked there for just over six months when we do our application in March. I earn over the threshold. I can obtain the six payslips I will have received with the relevant letters and bank statements. Will this be sufficient for Category A? I see most people apply with seven payslips and bank statements to cover the relevant period?

2 - Alternatively, I can use the above information to apply under Category B as the amount I have made in the six months will be (just) over the threshold needed over the 12 months. I was not in any meaningful employment before September (training to be a teacher) so there would be no other evidence to submit besides the payslips, bank statements, and letters above.

3 - My wife switched jobs in November. She is currently earning over the threshold and was also doing so in her previous job. We can evidence that she earned over the threshold over the previous 12 months. If we go down this route, exactly which payslips, letters, and bank statements are needed? 12 months or 13?

We naturally want to balance the simplicity of the application with the certainty of ticking all the boxes. As such, which option should we go for?

Housing
We purchased a flat in July 2023 with a mortgage. I understand we need to submit a mortgage statement but we haven’t received one as I believe they are annual statements. Can/Should we go into a branch and request an ad hoc one?

For the land registry document, does this need to be dated within 28 days of application or will the copy we got after the deeds changed hands suffice?

Cohabitation Docs
I’m thinking of doing:
Feb24
Oct23
Jun23
Feb23
Oct22
Jun23
Feb22
We have joint energy bills and joint bank statements for each month, along with some ad hoc bills and individually addressed letters to bring us up to three sources.
Does this all look good?

Thanks in advance for the help. I’ll be back pre-application for a doc check approval!

• Liked: 3595
Re: FLR (M) Pre-Application Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 09:34:54 AM »
My wife has application coming up having switched from a student visa in 2021. The expiry date on her BRP is 29th March, which means we can essentially apply any time in March, correct?

Yes.

Financial Requirements
We have three options here:
1 - I started a new job on 1st September 2023 and will have worked there for just over six months when we do our application in March. I earn over the threshold. I can obtain the six payslips I will have received with the relevant letters and bank statements. Will this be sufficient for Category A? I see most people apply with seven payslips and bank statements to cover the relevant period?

2 - Alternatively, I can use the above information to apply under Category B as the amount I have made in the six months will be (just) over the threshold needed over the 12 months. I was not in any meaningful employment before September (training to be a teacher) so there would be no other evidence to submit besides the payslips, bank statements, and letters above.

3 - My wife switched jobs in November. She is currently earning over the threshold and was also doing so in her previous job. We can evidence that she earned over the threshold over the previous 12 months. If we go down this route, exactly which payslips, letters, and bank statements are needed? 12 months or 13?

In regards to the number of payslips you need, the payslips you provide must cover the entire 6-month period, starting from the issue date of the first payslip. Most people provide 7 months of payslips in order to make sure they cover every single day of the 6 months... usually only 6 months of payslips don't end up covering every day of the period, so a 7th month is needed to meet the requirement

For example, if you started your job on September 1st and first payslip is dated September 30th, the 6 months you need to cover for the financial requirement will be September 30th to March 31st... so you will need the following payslips:
Sept 30th
Oct 31st
Nov 30th
Dec 31st
Jan 31st
Feb  29th
Mar 31st
However, your wife's BRP card will expire before the 31st March payslip is issued... which means you likely won't be able to meet the requirements under Category A, as you will only be able to show 5 months' worth of payslips (Sep 30th to Feb 29th).

Therefore, your best bet would be to use Category B and provide 13 months of evidence showing you have earned at least £18,600 in that time.

As you have only been working since September 1st, you would need to provide:
- any and all payslips you have received in the last 13 months, showing £18,600 or more earned in total
- 13 full months of bank statements (they still need to cover the full 12 months even if you have only worked for part of that time
- letter from your employer confirming your employment details and earnings
- job contract (and P60 if you have one, but if you weren't working before September, you may not have one for last year)

Alternatively, as suggested, you could use your wife's income instead, under Category B, and she would provide the same evidence as I just listed above, but including all 13 months of her payslips.

So, you will need to apply under Category B regardless, but it's up to you whether you use your income or your wife's income (whichever one is easiest to get all the documents for).

Housing
We purchased a flat in July 2023 with a mortgage. I understand we need to submit a mortgage statement but we haven’t received one as I believe they are annual statements. Can/Should we go into a branch and request an ad hoc one?

You should have received a mortgage agreement/initial statement when you first took out the mortgage... that is what you provide (you just need to provide the most recent annual statement that has been issued).

For the land registry document, does this need to be dated within 28 days of application or will the copy we got after the deeds changed hands suffice?

The one you received last year when you bought the house will be fine.

Cohabitation Docs
I’m thinking of doing:
Feb24
Oct23
Jun23
Feb23
Oct22
Jun23
Feb22
We have joint energy bills and joint bank statements for each month, along with some ad hoc bills and individually addressed letters to bring us up to three sources.
Does this all look good?

Those dates will be fine... if you can list all the actual documents you are planning to include, along with the dates they were issued, we can check to make sure they meet the requirements.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 10:09:26 AM »
Great - thanks for such. quick reply!

A few follow-up questions on the Category B evidence.

1 - You mention "any and all" payslips. I have two ad hoc non-salaried payslips from employers in the past year. Do I need to include these even if the six payslips from my current job show that I exceed the threshold?

2 - For the letter from my current employer, I gather the following are needed:
- Statement of current salary, type of employment,
- Confirmation that payslips are genuine
- Confirmation of gross and net amount for each payslip, alongside date of payslip issue and deposit date
Have I missed anything?

3 - For the letter from previous employers, is it just a summary of each payslip and a statement that they are genuine? That is, no need to mention employment or salary details?

4 - Some of my wife's bank statements erroneously have the incorrect address on them. Even though we told Lloyds that we had moved last July, they still sent statements to our old address for three months. Will this cause any issue if used as evidence for the financial requirements? (We won't use these documents for cohabitation evidence).

5 - As my wife moved jobs mid-month, she has two payslips (one from each employer) with half the usual amount in. Am I right in saying that, under Category B, this doesn't matter as they just look for the gross total over 12 months?

For the cohabitation docs, we have from three different sources (Octopus, Lloyds, council):
Feb 24 - an energy bill (we can sort of dictate the date it is issued as it depends on the meter reading, I was thinking 15th Feb)
20th Oct 23 - joint account bank statement
22nd Jun 23 - joint account bank statement
19th Feb 23 - energy bill
21st Oct 22 - joint account bank statement
14th Jun 22 - council tax bill
22nd Feb 22 - joint account bank statement

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 11:13:26 AM »
1 - You mention "any and all" payslips. I have two ad hoc non-salaried payslips from employers in the past year. Do I need to include these even if the six payslips from my current job show that I exceed the threshold?

Yes, I would include them, as the payslip deposits will be shown on your bank statements anyway. Also, they'll give you a bit of a buffer for showing earnings over threshold.

2 - For the letter from my current employer, I gather the following are needed:
- Statement of current salary, type of employment,
- Confirmation that payslips are genuine
- Confirmation of gross and net amount for each payslip, alongside date of payslip issue and deposit date
Have I missed anything?

The employer letter must include all of the following:
i) employment and current salary
ii) length of employment
iii) length of time earning current salary
iv) type of employment (full/part-time, permanent/temporary)

Then, if your payslips have been issued electronically, the letter should also confirm their authenticity (Confirmation of gross and net amount for each payslip, alongside date of payslip issue and deposit date)

3 - For the letter from previous employers, is it just a summary of each payslip and a statement that they are genuine? That is, no need to mention employment or salary details?

You only need a letter if the payslips were issued electronically. If so, the letter just needs to confirm their authenticity (as per above). Nothing else is required as they only need the details of your current employment.

4 - Some of my wife's bank statements erroneously have the incorrect address on them. Even though we told Lloyds that we had moved last July, they still sent statements to our old address for three months. Will this cause any issue if used as evidence for the financial requirements? (We won't use these documents for cohabitation evidence).

Whose income will you be using to meet the requirements? If you are only using your income, then you don't provide any income documents for your wife. You just fill out the application form as if she is not employed, and only enter your details.

If you are using your wife's income and NOT your income, then you only provide HER financial documents and you don't provide any of yours. If that will be the case, then yes, it's fine that the statements have the old address, though it may be worth noting it in a cover letter, so UKVI are aware of the reason for the different address.

5 - As my wife moved jobs mid-month, she has two payslips (one from each employer) with half the usual amount in. Am I right in saying that, under Category B, this doesn't matter as they just look for the gross total over 12 months?

Again, if you will be using only your income to meet the requirements, this question is irrelevant as you won't be providing any of your wife's payslips at all.

If you do use only your wife's income, then this should be fine, as she will be using Category B.

For the cohabitation docs, we have from three different sources (Octopus, Lloyds, council):
Feb 24 - an energy bill (we can sort of dictate the date it is issued as it depends on the meter reading, I was thinking 15th Feb)

These look good to me :).

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:50:06 PM »
So, I'm back and we are ready to submit our application and just want a quick document check before we do so.

Application Documents
US passport (all pages, her)
Consent Checks - Part 1 (Her)
Consent Checks - Part 2 (Me)
Sponsor’s Declaration signed by me

Proof of Identity/Travel History
BRP (both sides, her)
UK passport (all pages, me)

Residence in the U.K.
Accommodation Documents
Land Registry Document
Letter from mortgage provider confirming mortgage at start of term
Council Tax Bill

Cohabitation Documents
One document, jointly addressed, from each of the following months:
15th Feb 24 - Southwark council service charge letter

(We haven't received any March-dated post yet but can hold off until we do if necessary..)

Finances
Payslips from January 2023 - November 2023 for my wife's old job - payslips issued on the last day of the month
Payslips from November 2023 - February 2024 for my wife's new job - payslips issued on the 25th of the month
Bank statements covering 18th Jan 23 - 6 March 24 showing payslip deposits - all sent through mail bar one that was printed in branch (which is fine, right?)
Letter from old employer confirming payslip veracity (gross amount, net amount, payslip date, deposit date, pay period, discrepancies explained)
Letter from new employer confirming payslip veracity (gross amount, net amount, payslip date, deposit date, pay period, discrepancies explained), as well as terms of employment (job title, salary, etc.)
P60 from old job, haven't had one issued for new job yet
Scanned copy of employment contract

Other
UK marriage certificate

A few questions:
1 - Where it asks for 'have you been out of the UK since you started living here?', is that asking for every trip? We have put every one we have done down - is that overkill?
2 - For the 'how did you enter the UK question', the options are 'temporary admission or bail at the UK border', 'entered illegally', or 'other'  - we have gone for the first.. is that right? Where it asks for details, we have put 'arrived on student visa in August 2020' (my wife switched from a student to spouse visa in summer 2021).
3 - For the question, "Is this the first time you have applied for a partner route, or an extension, with your current partner (including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)?", we should put 'no', right? As we are renewing for the second 2.5 year visa.
4 - And for the follow up "Please choose the reason you are applying for an extension, this includes if you are switching to a partner visa from another type.", we have picked "Additional extension as a partner", which is the right choice, correct?
5 - Any idea what the turnaround times are at the moment? We won't be super priority and have nothing booked but curious nonetheless..

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 09:05:16 PM »
Hi again.

We submitted our application on 12th March and have our biometrics appointment on 23rd March. I just had a quick question about our correspondence:

At the moment, we are planning on using the documents I mentioned above:
15th Feb 24 - Southwark council service charge letter

However, we have received a more recent energy bill so we could do:
5th Mar 24 - energy bill
19th Nov 23 - energy bill
13th Jul 23 - energy bill / 21st Jul 23 - joint bank statement
18th Mar 23 - energy bill / 22nd Mar 23 - joint bank statement
16th Nov 22 - energy bill / 22 Nov 22 - joint bank statement
22nd Jul 22 - joint bank statement
7th Mar 22 - council tax letter

Is there any incentive to post more recent documents for the correspondence section? If so, is the spread of sates proposed above sufficient?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab