Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok, I still want to go back  (Read 725 times)

• Liked: 676
Ok, I still want to go back
« on: February 20, 2024, 11:28:50 PM »
Once Covid has died down a bit more (assuming it ever does):  I know there've been transport strikes, NHS strikes, bin-worker strikes, university employee strikes, ambulance strikes, you-name-it strikes, and the inflation rate will have chopped a good chunk off of my spending power.  But I'm still wondering how things are for "tourists" who would not be renting a car? (I don't want to get somewhere and get stranded because transport goes down.)  I'd probably be traveling on my own.

I have a few places in mind to go (starting at London and ending up in Scotland, of course). But I'm kind of wincing thinking it may not be quite what it was when we left. I know in Glasgow at least three of the places I would really have wanted to go are now gone, so, rather sadly, I think it would be best to not go there other than to use it as a hopping-on place for tours to places I never got to while I was there (Skye, the NE, etc.) It would be too sad to go to my old neighborhood, which I still really wish we hadn't had to leave.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 11:31:01 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 958
Re: Ok, I still want to go back
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 09:48:38 PM »
As long as you aren't on strict timelines, it should be fine. Weather tends to interrupt train lines more than anything else. It might not be the most comfortable trip depending on time. Check the bus routes as well, depending on where you are they may have changed a lot in the last 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 12:15:58 AM »
Thanks. I'll check the bus option as well. I have all the time in the world, when it comes to it, so "slow" isn't a problem. Getting stuck somewhere and having to sleep in a dodgy doorway because there are no rooms available, and transportation is shut down., is a problem.  ;)

It's hard to believe it's been over 3 years now since we left. We've been back as long as we were over there. I really do miss Glasgow the way it was in the summer of 2017 before it all started going to hell. I would have happily stayed there if things hadn't turned out as they did. Oh, well... I guess I can settle for visiting every now and then.

Stay safe.

• Liked: 958
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 12:27:49 AM »
If all goes smoothly we will be in N Wales soon, looking forward to seeing what life is like there compared to the SE. (Really looking forward to hills! Even if I can't walk up them.) Just have to get through the exceptionally stressful and nerve wracking house purchase process first.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 03:30:55 AM »
Only was in N. Wales once, and that was a very long time ago. It was very pretty - picture-postcard pretty. It hit me as being a really conservative (not in the sense of political parties) kind of area, but a lot of rural places are like that. I hope you find something you like there and enjoy the countryside!

• Liked: 719
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 04:59:03 PM »
We are banking public transport working next month (April) as we will be traveling with our adult children from the NE by train to London,  and immediately on to Bruges via Eurostar. A week there and back again on the same route. My wife and I are flexible should we encounter major issues but the children all have jobs to get back to.

We also have long train journeys booked in May so fingers crossed big time for us.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 06:45:30 PM »
We are banking public transport working next month (April) as we will be traveling with our adult children from the NE by train to London,  and immediately on to Bruges via Eurostar. A week there and back again on the same route. My wife and I are flexible should we encounter major issues but the children all have jobs to get back to.

We also have long train journeys booked in May so fingers crossed big time for us.
   Give yourself plenty of leeway for that Eurostar journey, lots can go wrong.  My wife went recently and the check in line went all the way inside the tube station and took hours. 

I've taken the tunnel and then drove to Brouges and it was an easy trip.  And Brouge is all about chocolate and beer so you can't go wrong. 

• Liked: 719
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 11:52:41 PM »
   Give yourself plenty of leeway for that Eurostar journey, lots can go wrong.  My wife went recently and the check in line went all the way inside the tube station and took hours. 

I've taken the tunnel and then drove to Brouges and it was an easy trip.  And Brouge is all about chocolate and beer so you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the advice. We do have several hours after the scheduled arrival in Kings Cross to make the connection so hope we end up bored sitting around.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links