Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HELP! Citizenship Application after ILR SET(M)  (Read 1583 times)

• Liked: 1
HELP! Citizenship Application after ILR SET(M)
« on: February 24, 2024, 05:21:11 PM »
Good Afternoon,

My wife's ILR BRP arrived today, and it has an expirey date of 31/12/24, not sure why that is, but I feel I need to submit my wife's Citizenship application before that time period, things keep changing these days and just need to get it sorted before another change comes into play.

We've almost completed the citizenship application, but for referees it's asking details for each one? Is there a form that can be printed off and the referee can fill out and sign it, as opposed to filling out the online application in thier presence?

Also proof of residence in UK for last 3 years, how do we prove that? Is it the utility bills via post? Or something else? If so, how many or which types are required to be provided?

Thanks everyone for your support and help so far.

• Liked: 3598
Re: HELP! Citizenship Application after ILR SET(M)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 07:16:35 PM »
Good Afternoon,

My wife's ILR BRP arrived today, and it has an expirey date of 31/12/24, not sure why that is, but I feel I need to submit my wife's Citizenship application before that time period, things keep changing these days and just need to get it sorted before another change comes into play.

Congratulations :).

There is no specified time period in which she needs to submit her citizenship application. ILR is indefinite and as long as she continues to live in the UK, it will never expire. She could apply tomorrow, or she could apply in 10 years' time... it's completely up to her.

The BRP card expiry date is nothing to worry about - for the last few years, all BRP cards have been issued with an expiry date of 31/12/2024. This is because the government is getting rid of BRP cards completely on 31st Dec 2024 and everything is being moved online. Therefore, from 1st Jan 2025, she will no longer need a BRP card and will be able to prove her ILR status online.

See here:
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/report-problem

From that page:

If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.

We've almost completed the citizenship application, but for referees it's asking details for each one? Is there a form that can be printed off and the referee can fill out and sign it, as opposed to filling out the online application in thier presence?

You enter the referee details on the online application, and then I believe that when you get to the end of the application, there will be links to forms for the referees to download, print and sign.

Also proof of residence in UK for last 3 years, how do we prove that? Is it the utility bills via post? Or something else? If so, how many or which types are required to be provided?

You provide her passport. That's it.

There are almost no documents required for citizenship - it is not a visa and does not have the same requirements.

The only documents she should need to provide are:
- her current passport
- any previous passports she has held since moving to the UK
- her ILR BRP card (if applying before 31st Dec 2024)
- your UK passport
- your marriage certificate
- 2 signed referee forms
- if she is self-employed, she will also need to include her latest HMRC Statement of Account to show she has paid her taxes.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 04:17:16 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the above points and uncertainties.

Is it absaloutely certain that only her current passport is required to prove her resistance in the UK? And nothing else required apart this?

My wife feels that her NHS Letters, and Credit Card statements for the last 3 years will also need to be submitted to prove residency in the UK for the last 3 years.

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 06:12:58 PM »
Is it absaloutely certain that only her current passport is required to prove her resistance in the UK? And nothing else required apart this?

My wife feels that her NHS Letters, and Credit Card statements for the last 3 years will also need to be submitted to prove residency in the UK for the last 3 years.

Yes, it actually says on the application form, in the evidence required section that:
- her passports are evidence of being physically present in the UK exactly 3 years ago.
- her ILR BRP card is evidence of 3 years of residency (because you need 5 years of residency to qualify for ILR, which she has already proven with her visa applications... otherwise her ILR would not have been granted)

From the paper application form, Form AN (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/62b5d7988fa8f5356eecc531/form-an-06-2022.pdf):

3: Evidence you were physically present in the UK:
• 3 years ago (if the applicant is married or in civil partnership with a British citizen), or
• 5 years ago (for all other applications)

For most applications this will be your passports but if your passports do not confirm this, letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in UK.

4: Evidence of freedom from immigration restrictions: required for all applicants, either:
• your passport showing permission to remain permanently in the UK
• your biometric residence pernit or any other documents confirning your right to remain permanently in the UK
• your 16-digit unique application number (UAN) (if you have been granted indefinite leave (also known as settled status) under the EUSS)
• the Home Office letter by which you were given permission to remain permanently in the UK
• if you came to the UK as an asylum seeker you should have evidence of appeal applications
• evidence of being freely landed
• if you are an Irish national you must provide your Irish passport
• valid certificate of entitlement to Right of Abode

And from the Form AN Guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-an-guidance/form-an-guidance-accessible):

6. Lawful Residence
You should have been in the UK lawfully during the 5 years (or 3 years, if applying as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen), before making your application.

Under The Nationality and Borders Act 2022, you will normally meet this requirement where you have been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK. This means that, in most cases, you will only need to demonstrate that you hold valid indefinite leave in the UK in order to meet the lawful residence requirement. You will not normally need to provide evidence of your immigration status during the 5- or 3-year period.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab