Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Benefits of citizenship after ILR  (Read 410 times)

• Liked: 12
Benefits of citizenship after ILR
« on: March 13, 2024, 01:35:29 PM »
I recently finished and sent my application for ILR and am now waiting to hear back.  I figured I would jumpstart by looking into which documents I would need for the citizenship application and it got me thinking, what are the differences between the two? I know that as a citizen I would be able to vote which is good but other than that I am unclear as what the benefit of taking this next step is.  If anyone could shed some light it would be awesome, thanks in advanced.
Online Application                 Oct 3 2018
Biometrics                              Oct 9 2018
Mailed documents to NY     Oct  10 2018
Documents arrived               Oct 11 2018
Email from sheffield             Nov 7  2018
Email for additional docs    Nov  15  2018
Sent additional docs            Nov  22  2018
Visa decision email              Nov  29  2018
Visa received      A big fat Yes   !!!  Nov  30 2018

• Liked: 14
Re: Benefits of citizenship after ILR
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 06:07:00 PM »
With citizenship you can be away from the UK for any length of time and still have the right to return. ILR becomes invalid if you're out of the UK for more than two years (and you'd have to go through the visa process all over again - under whatever rules may exist then - if you want to return to the UK).

• Liked: 342
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 03:26:59 PM »
You can use your British Citizen passport to visit visa free, when your US passport would require a visa.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 11:57:05 AM »
I definitely do not plan on being out of the UK for more than a month at a time, let alone two years.  Or is it cumulative?  I definitely see the benefit of having a UK passport for hassle reasons though.  TY both very much.
Online Application                 Oct 3 2018
Biometrics                              Oct 9 2018
Mailed documents to NY     Oct  10 2018
Documents arrived               Oct 11 2018
Email from sheffield             Nov 7  2018
Email for additional docs    Nov  15  2018
Sent additional docs            Nov  22  2018
Visa decision email              Nov  29  2018
Visa received      A big fat Yes   !!!  Nov  30 2018

• Liked: 14
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 02:02:52 PM »
I definitely do not plan on being out of the UK for more than a month at a time, let alone two years.  Or is it cumulative?  I definitely see the benefit of having a UK passport for hassle reasons though.  TY both very much.

It's not cumulative (AFAIK). The issue for many of us is not leaving the UK for temporary visits and the like, but for example returning to live in the US for reasons like caring for an aging parent or other business. Having UKC would keep your right to return to the UK safe, whereas with just ILR you'd have to start all over again if you were out of the UK for more than two years and want to live there again.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 03:02:08 PM »
For those who naturalise as a  British citizen, their child born outside the UK would be born a British Citizen. A child born outside the UK to a parent/parents who only holds ILR, is not born a British Citizen.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:07:31 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 04:26:53 PM »
It's not cumulative (AFAIK). The issue for many of us is not leaving the UK for temporary visits and the like, but for example returning to live in the US for reasons like caring for an aging parent or other business. Having UKC would keep your right to return to the UK safe, whereas with just ILR you'd have to start all over again if you were out of the UK for more than two years and want to live there again.
This was my biggest motivation for getting British citizenship. I have 3 adult children and my biggest thought was if something were to happen to them and I needed to return to provide some type of long term care I wouldn't be stuck trying to return and having to start back at square one.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 07:26:09 PM »
If you have British citizenship; can prove you live in the UK and are waiting for treatment  routinely provided by the NHS; the consultant will state the wait is too long for the state of your medical condition and the relevant body agrees (undue delay)  you can receive that treatment in Switzerland at one of their state funded healthcare facilities only (as long as it is not a trial). Treatment funded by the relevant NHS (of the UK country you live in) except for any co pay required under the Swiss healthcare system.

I've only read the NHS England guidance; you would need to look this up if you live in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales.
EDIT The other UK nations seem to follow NHS England and link to the NHS England site

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 12:12:51 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 03:52:28 PM »
Speaking as someone who had to fill out an application on a mobile phone app to beg some dodgy algorhythm to let me stay, citizenship is well worth it.  I'm just as British as anyone else and don't have to take any sh*t from anyone. Even better, I can vote and protest against the Tories, even get arrested if I want without any fear.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 05:19:19 PM »
I'm just as British as anyone else and don't have to take any sh*t from anyone. Even better, I can vote and protest against the Tories, even get arrested if I want without any fear.

You can lose your British Citizenship. You can be deported/not allowed back in the country if they revoke or remove this while you are outside the UK, as you naturalised as a British citizen. It's why it is known as 2 tier Citizenship.

Even those who are born a British Citizen can be deported if they have another citizenship/claim to another citizenship. This law brought in by Labour last time they were in power, to stop these too thinking they can do what they want and get arrested without fear.

No help for you from Britain if you are detained in the US as you are one of theirs. The UK could remove your British Citizenship while you are detained, to ensure you get can't back to the UK/live to the UK.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 05:45:18 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links