Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US revocable trust  (Read 1007 times)

• Liked: 50
US revocable trust
« on: May 11, 2024, 04:35:33 PM »
This is a bit esoteric, but maybe someone has some ideas. I have my house and a bank account in a US revocable trust and all my assets will go to that trust when I die to avoid probate and get money to my beneficiaries efficiently. What are the consequences of having a US revocable trust if I move to the UK. The house will be taken out of it when I sell, but a bank account will remain inside it and right now all my assets will pass to it when I die.

• Liked: 46
Re: US revocable trust
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 10:48:49 AM »
This is a bit esoteric, but maybe someone has some ideas. I have my house and a bank account in a US revocable trust and all my assets will go to that trust when I die to avoid probate and get money to my beneficiaries efficiently. What are the consequences of having a US revocable trust if I move to the UK. The house will be taken out of it when I sell, but a bank account will remain inside it and right now all my assets will pass to it when I die.
When I do my Self Assessment there’s an area where it asks about ‘Trusts’. Doing some further digging on the HMRC website there’s an area that discuses foreign trusts and the complexities of them for reporting. Perhaps HMRC’s stance on foreign trusts are the same as that of the IRS.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 10:52:59 AM »
When I do my Self Assessment there’s an area where it asks about ‘Trusts’. Doing some further digging on the HMRC website there’s an area that discuses foreign trusts and the complexities of them for reporting. Perhaps HMRC’s stance on foreign trusts are the same as that of the IRS.

I think the saving grace is that I don't have any things like mutual funds in my revocable trust so it doesn't generate any income and when my money passes to it it will be immediatley passed on to the trust's beneficiaries.

• Liked: 102

• Liked: 102

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 04:23:46 AM »
https://www.ftadviser.com/protection/2023/05/09/how-to-unravel-the-legal-complexities-of-us-wealth-inheritance/

Thank you, that helps a lot. I'm the trust "donor" and only trustee until I die. As I set it up while a US resident it looks like I'll have to register it if I move to the UK. When I die a US citizen and resident becomes the sole trustee...I was advised by my estate lawyer to only have US citizen trustees. The beneficiaries are all UK citizens and UK resident. The trust is just to avoid US probate on my home and will only have a small amount of cash in it if I move to the UK. I was told to only place cash and real estate in it to avoid US tax complications. My invested money passes straight to my UK heirs through brokerage beneficiary designations. Still it's an area where I'll need some advice.

Sponsored Links