Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sending Passport to DVLA  (Read 149 times)

• Liked: 0
Sending Passport to DVLA
« on: May 23, 2024, 09:12:38 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered in detail so if any kind person can point me to another thread I'd be grateful!

For a US licensed driver who has been driving for nearly 30 years, I find the licensing process here difficult.  Due to work and a young family I've put it off for far too long, mainly due to the sticking point of having to send my passport to the DVLA. I travel for overseas for work twice a month, so this is not an option. 

I checked with the embassy and they do not offer the short term second passport for this purpose (only for visas).  As I understand it, I would have to:
-Send the passport (up to 6 weeks turn around)
-Take the theory test
-Take lessons (difficult with work and young family but anyway)
-Take the practical test

Has anyone found any work around, faster way?  Seems onerous for Americans to drive here when in most European countries you just show your US Drivers License. 

Grateful for feedback!

• Liked: 6112
Re: Sending Passport to DVLA
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 10:59:22 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered in detail so if any kind person can point me to another thread I'd be grateful!

For a US licensed driver who has been driving for nearly 30 years, I find the licensing process here difficult.  Due to work and a young family I've put it off for far too long, mainly due to the sticking point of having to send my passport to the DVLA. I travel for overseas for work twice a month, so this is not an option. 

I checked with the embassy and they do not offer the short term second passport for this purpose (only for visas).  As I understand it, I would have to:
-Take the theory test
-Take the practical test

Has anyone found any work around, faster way?  Seems onerous for Americans to drive here when in most European countries you just show your US Drivers License. 

Grateful for feedback!

You'll have seen this?

https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20valid,a%20passport%20that%20has%20expired.

I know intensive driving courses have been mentioned as a quicker way of getting it all over with.

• Liked: 345
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 03:33:01 PM »

-Take the theory test
-Take the practical test

Grateful for feedback!

According to your posts, you have been living in the UK since 2015. Is that right?  You can only drive in the UK for 1 year on a valid US driving licence.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 11:04:11 PM »
sounds like you are at the step of verifying identity?  when i sent my BRP off to get my provisional license, i think i got it back in about 3 weeks time. 

there is no real faster way to get the license here aside from doing an intensive practical course.  the theory test takes time to practice and then get the appointment.  then, getting an appointment for driving courses adds more time as many are booked (depending on where you live).  the intensives are expensive as hell, but for me it was worth it to speed this up.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab