Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I got ILR! A quick TeamTollie update:  (Read 1242 times)

• Liked: 250
I got ILR! A quick TeamTollie update:
« on: May 31, 2024, 02:20:27 PM »
Hi all! Long time no see! I got ILR in February 2024!! I'm officially a permanent resident!

It's been a whirlwind few months and I wanted to share a few non-essential updates and some information that might be helpful to someone if they find themselves in a similar situation. I am putting this in Expat Life as to not take away from important essential-visa posts in the Visa channel.

I actually didn't visit the forum for this visa, as I had so many lists and information from my previous two, I managed to do it on my own. Not necessarily recommending people do that, but I had saved every single checklist, website, etc. to the point where I was over-prepared for my ILR visa application. I scheduled my Life in the UK test first, (passed first try!).

Then, I ran into a bit of trouble.  :-X

I had the same job for 4 years, and it all went to sh*t in November 2023. I'd already been in touch with HR about my employer letter and had already gathered all my payslips, etc. All the necessary stuff to 'sponsor' myself in this visa. Unfortunately, things hit a boiling point with my job after a meeting, and I rushed outside to phone Visas & Immigration to ask if it was too late for my husband to sponsor me if I quit. (I had only done the online application at this point, NOT biometrics and I had not sent off any documents. Basically, I'd only told them I would be using my documents) I was desperate to quit my job, and was relieved when they told me as long as I meet the requirements, it should not matter. I needed only to provide a note saying why the application info doesn't match what I submitted and switch it with my husband's info. It was a crunch, because he had a mere week to get the documents from his job, but we did it in the end. I then thought I would take 6 months to process (I did not have priority processing), but I received  my ILR by February. They approved it, so all of that stress about quitting my job was for nothing.

I am still on the job hunt, but so grateful that I now have ILR and don't have to worry about being put on a 'contract' or having another visa looming over my head.

I have to say it's incredible to me that I'm already at this point. I was just making baby posts in here confused as all hell about what to do, how to move, and crying every other day about moving to a new country. I've made a little life for myself out here and it feels good. Now, I just need a better job that does not make me miserable.

New chapter, go!

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)
ILR #3: 16 February 2024 (Approved!)

• Liked: 544
Re: I got ILR! A quick TeamTollie update:
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 11:27:53 AM »
Hey there!

Congrats on getting ILR. It was SO stressful when I did mine so I completely understand.

I'm on the job hunt myself so I get it, job got super toxic and my health was massively impacted. I'll send good vibes your way. :D

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab