Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yes, I'm stuck in the house because it's too hot outside  (Read 786 times)

• Liked: 686
Yes, I'm stuck in the house because it's too hot outside
« on: June 17, 2024, 11:20:55 PM »
And am very much hoping I never see one of these again in realtime. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQTIkApacAAE3L1?format=jpg&name=large

I will be very happy when I get the Daughter out of California, even if it means driving 3,500 miles to get her here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 02:55:05 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 734
Re: Yes, I'm stuck in the house because it's too hot outside
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 08:37:05 AM »
Amazing photo, I hope you manage to stay cool.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 686
Re: Yes, I'm stuck in the house because it's too hot outside
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 07:38:22 PM »
I went to the garden (allotment) today at 7:00am, just to program the new water pump. (I've got a 35 gallon trash can out there with this new pump pulling water from it so that the plants are getting a constant, if minimal, supply of water.)  I programmed the pump, I moved some shade cloth onto my potato plants (although heaven only knows if they'll make tubers in this heat!), took some photographs for my daughter, and found that I had to leave because sweat was running down my face and into my eyes so badly they were stinging and I could not see. I was out of there before 8:00am.  I should have realized, when the A/C kicked on at 6:30am, that it was going to be tough out, but I am still used to "dry" heat. I am now definitely inside the house for the duration, although I may go back over there on Thursday morning if I can get out of the house before 6:00am to make sure everything is working ok with the watering system. Heck of a time for it to have it's trial run!

But yeah, I have central A/C and am appreciating it beyond words. The "Real Feel" is in the low 100Fs out there right now and it feels like stepping into a sauna to go out onto my balcony. So I'm completely comfortable in the house. I may not be when the electric bill arrives next month, but that will be next month.

Amazing photo, isn't it? I've watched those tankers in action - unfortunately we didn't have them for the Cedar fire (the big 747 tankers) - and they are amazing. As are the guys flying the helicopters who can literally slingshot massive amounts of water into places they logically should not be able to douse.  Here's another photo - http://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PalmerFire_747_Leroy_Leggitt.jpg

I will still not be comfortable until I get the Daughter out of there. As it is, two of the towns we were going to stay at on the way home are now evacuated due to wildfire. (Another got hit by an F4 tornado.)  It's always a bad year the year after an El Nino. (So much rain makes everything grow. It all subsequently dies and turns into fuel.)  I just want her out of the southwest. She may have to deal with hurricanes, floods, or blizzards up here, but she won't have to worry about wildfires.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 07:42:40 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links