Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Steak and Ale Pie - need recommendation  (Read 1012 times)

• Liked: 686
Steak and Ale Pie - need recommendation
« on: July 08, 2024, 08:42:48 PM »
Hi. I want to make a steak and ale pie. I can't get the one ale I used to use in the UK (Innis & Gunn red label) here. I don't care for the flavor of Guiness, which I CAN get here, in a beef pie.

Suggestions for an alternative? (Maybe more than one, in case I have to beat the bushes to find a UK ale here.)

Thanks.

• Liked: 734
Re: Steak and Ale Pie - need recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 11:55:16 AM »
When we lived in Baton Rouge I used to buy Boddingtons at our local Albertsons.  Very nice, a favorite of mine.  Can't say I have ever made steak and ale pie with it, but it's a great drink. It is a pale ale rather than a stout like Guinness. For stronger tasting beers to cook pies with you should also be able to get Sam Smith's Brown Ale or Newcastle Brown ale.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/boddington+pub+ale+beer+england/1/usa

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/59374/1798/

Boddingtons Pub Ale is a higher ABV version of Boddingtons Bitter brewed for Export Markets. Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 11:58:32 AM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 04:54:01 PM »
I think I also used Newcastle when in the UK and it worked. Had forgotten the name.  Thanks!

Will see if I can find the others. I'm a bit in a backwater here, so it may have to be when we drive down to "the City" (NYC/NJ) that I'll find it and bring several back up.  One of my other frustrations here is that you can't buy one bottle of beer. It's a six-pack or a case, but not just a single bottle. I could feed the entire neighborhood pies....  ;D ;)

EDIT:  Of course. Walmart has Newcastle Brown. I can have it delivered with my next grocery order.  ::)   And, of course, it's out-of-stock. The nearest other place that has it seems to be in CT. Sounds like a great excuse for a day-trip.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 04:58:07 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 08:58:49 PM »
Hi. I want to make a steak and ale pie. I can't get the one ale I used to use in the UK (Innis & Gunn red label) here. I don't care for the flavor of Guiness, which I CAN get here, in a beef pie.

Suggestions for an alternative? (Maybe more than one, in case I have to beat the bushes to find a UK ale here.)

Thanks.

Hey!

Can't find Innis & Gunn? Try these alternatives:

Newcastle Brown Ale
Boddingtons
Adnams Broadside
Fuller's London Pride
Good luck, and hope your pie turns out great!

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2024, 09:22:07 PM »
Hey!

Can't find Innis & Gunn? Try these alternatives:

Newcastle Brown Ale
Boddingtons
Adnams Broadside
Fuller's London Pride
Good luck, and hope your pie turns out great!

Thanks!  No Innis and Gunn so far.  I was reading on Reddit the other day that Newcastle Brown had changed hands and wasn't the same as it used to be (in a bad way). Not sure how true that is, but I'll be looking for the Adams and Fuller's and hopefully someone will have them. If not locally, I bet i can get them down in NYC the next trip we make down that way.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2024, 08:24:26 PM »
I wonder if your  local brewery (of probably there are many, because there are loads in the US) will have a 'British Style Ale'  - (maybe seasonal), but may also know where to get one locally as well. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 10:17:18 PM »
There are tons of microbreweries here, so that's a good avenue to check! Thanks for the idea.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab