Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Here to help my father  (Read 1602 times)

• Liked: 1
Here to help my father
« on: July 25, 2024, 09:25:41 AM »
Hello All
My father is a UK national back in the UK after a life overseas, including 10 years in the US upto his retirement in 2006.
I now help him manage his affairs including a number of legacy investments in the US, so Im on crash course as to the complexities of administering taxes and finances with "a leg on each side of the pond"
I've lived in Switzerland myself for the last 25 years so having to refresh myself on the byzantine UK side of things too!
Danny
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 10:21:06 AM by Swiss_Danny »

• Liked: 736
Re: Here to help my father
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 11:22:27 AM »
Does he have more than one nationality? In particular is he a US Citizen?

With investments in the USA I expect he will be filing a tax return there, either as a US citizen or Non-Resident Alien?

With foreign income then I expect he is also filing a self assessment return with HMRC each year.

What type of investments does he have in the USA? For example if he has a retirement account such as an IRA then distributions may well be taxed in the UK, if he has non-retirement accounts then dividends and other distributions from them will also be taxed in the UK.

The US-UK tax treaty means that he shouldn't be double taxed even though he may be required to file taxes in both countries.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 11:18:39 PM »
Hi. Thank you for the questions.
I've started a thread in taxation section and would be grateful for any insights you have.
Thanks. Danny
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 08:01:57 AM by Swiss_Danny »

• Liked: 736
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 08:07:40 AM »
Hi. Thank you for the questions.
I've started a thread in taxation section and would be grateful for any insights you have.
Thanks. Danny

I will take a look

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab