Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: i need help--- PLEASE!!!!  (Read 1065 times)

• good grief! i'm homesick
    • yahoo photo album
  • Liked: 0
i need help--- PLEASE!!!!
« on: June 13, 2003, 05:59:42 PM »
??? i am so confused...i came here on a tourist visa , and was told by the IND that if i got married then i would be able to apply for FLR and i would be able to stay & work here.  we got married may 23rd (yay) and i applied for FLR ...  my husband called the IND yesterday & was told that since i came here on a tourist visa, i would have to go back to america and apply for a spouse visa from there. so we have gotten 2 different stories, does anyone know what the answer is? thank you !!!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: i need help--- PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 06:07:52 PM »
I'm confused... sorry about that it happens a lot. :) You applied for your FLR... did you do it in person or by mail? Did you get it?

And I don't see why you'd have to go back to the states to get your spouse visa, several people here arrived in the country as a visitor or tourist, got married and stayed... I'm not one of them though.  :-/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• yahoo photo album
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 06:11:31 PM »
thanks for answering....i applied for the FLR by mail... i was told i would be able to stay and work here once that was approved, & also 'heard' that i could get a temporary national insurance number and work here while i was waiting for the visa to be approved. anyway, my husband called the IND and they then told him that since i came here on a tourist visa, my forms would be sent back and i will have to go back to the states and apply for my visa from there.
sorry if this is confusing! we are confused about the whole thing too....

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 06:24:38 PM »
I'm not sure what to tell you since I haven't gone through it, sorry - I entered on a fiancee visa. However, unless you get a company to sponsor you, you won't be able to work until you get your FLR. SOmetimes you can get a NAtional Insurance number (temp one) while you're job hunting, but that seems to be on an individual basis. I know my local office said they wouldn't let me, and I had to get a job before they'd even consider me for a number (my interview is next Tuesday, I started my job 2 weeks ago). Someone here will surely be able to help you about your visa though, as I know there are several people here who did the same thing you're doing. Good lukc, and sorry I wasn't more help.  :-/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 07:47:17 PM »
The rules have changed since April this year. You now DO have to return to your country of origin to get your spousal visa if you did not have a fianceƩ visa first. The UK wants your $400!

• yahoo photo album
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 10:50:28 PM »
thanks for your reply, we called the home office in march & they said everything was cool, so we went ahead & got married thinking i would be able to stay!!!! little did we know we would have to be separated... does anyone know about a brit coming to america? how long it takes for a brit to be able to move to america and be able to legally work there??? thank you everyone ;)

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 07:26:03 PM »
...... how long it takes for a brit to be able to move to america and be able to legally work there??? thank you everyone ;)

A lot longer than you returning to the US to get a visa for the UK.

I am British, my wife is American.  After we first married she obtained a marriage and settlement visa to live in the UK.  She applied through the (now closed) visa bureau in DC, and it took just one day for the visa application to be processed.  I think that the British consulate in NewYork does same-day processing for walk-ins.

Later, after we had been married a while, and living in the UK, we decided to relocate to the US.  I first applied for a US immigration visa in March 2001, and it took until September 2001 to get through to the final interview, medical, and receive the visa.  Only six weeks or so of that time could be blamed on us taking time to complete some of the paperwork.
Richard

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab