Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Good for asthma sufferers.  (Read 905 times)

• Liked: 0
Good for asthma sufferers.
« on: January 19, 2005, 07:17:47 PM »
http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/news/article.adp?id=20050119062709990001

Scientists have welcome news for teenagers - not making the bed can help prevent allergies.

Dust mites, which can trigger a host of allergies including asthma, hate messy beds as much as parents do, researchers have discovered.

The tiny creatures, less than a millimetre long, thrive in moist and warm conditions. They are most likely to colonise a bed with fresh, tightly drawn sheets and tucked-in blankets.

When the blankets and sheets are tossed aside and the bed exposed to the open air it creates dry conditions in which the bugs cannot survive.

Dr Stephen Pretlove, from Kingston University, south-west London, who led the research, said: "House dust mites feed on scales of human skin so they love to share our beds. The allergens they produce are easily inhaled during sleep and are a major cause of illnesses such as asthma. More...

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

Re: Good for asthma sufferers.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 01:07:14 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you. At last I have back up to persuade my son to pull back his duvet every morning and let the bed air, instead of leaving it in a crumpled heap :D
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

Re: Good for asthma sufferers.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 07:03:39 PM »
At last I have back up to persuade my son to pull back his duvet every morning and let the bed air, instead of leaving it in a crumpled heap

Glad to help,We foster a 14 year old special needs boy and have just spent 6 months teaching him to make his bed each morning,now we have to start again.LOL.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

Sponsored Links