Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PETS - I'm still confused!! :(  (Read 6264 times)

• Liked: 0
PETS - I'm still confused!! :(
« on: January 20, 2005, 03:31:08 AM »
Ok I just set an appointment with my vet for Tuesday to start the PETS process!
They know nothing about the program or rules, so its all up to me to make sure everything is done right! Im so stressed! I printed out some information off the website and gave it to them but who knows if they'll read it.

The only microchip local vets use (at least that I found) in my area is the Avid chip.  So, I had them call and order me the Avid Eurochip. I have read on websites that this chip is readable in the UK, but I wanted to ask here and make sure. Does anyone know about this??

Now, about the actual vaccine. Does the rabies vaccine have to be a certain type? A certain brand? I have read different things about this.

Can the vaccine be given during the same appointment as the microchip, as long as the microchip has been read and recorded before the vaccine is given?

Most importantly!.. I am so SO confused about the whole documentation part. The official certificates, certified copies, third country official veterinary certificates?  ..WHAT?!? help! When do I use what? Where does my vet get these? Can my local vet be the one to sign the third country certificate or do I need a certain vet from the state? Do I need a certain certificate to record on before we even do the microchip??

Sorry guys, thanks so much, really..
married my husband and moved to england sept 2005, moved back to USA sept 2008

Re: PETS - I'm still confused!! :(
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 09:13:03 AM »
Karenn,
We're bringing our two minniature dachshunds over the first weekend in March.  The PETS process is a long process but you can do it.  I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, as our vet didn't have any clue about what to do either.

First - The Avid Eurochip - is the chip that we put in our dogs.  It should be readable in the UK (but isn't in the U.S., so it needs to be specially ordered by the Vet, additionally, the vet should have a eurochip reader to confirm that the chip is working - they should be able to do that). 

Second - The rabies vaccine simply has to be not-expired when it's administered.  No certain type or brand.  On one of the PETS forms it asks for the details of the vaccine that's administered, but I think it's more of a formality than anythign else.

Third - Yes the vaccine can be given on the same appointment as the microchip - however, that's not the most important part.  The microchip number HAS TO be on the paperwork that is sent to the special USDA approved testing facility that tests your animals current rabies titre levels.  It's not the actual vaccine that counts on that visit, it's the blood test for rabies that matters most.  I'm afraid I'm not being clear so I'll illustrate with what happened to us.....

July 1 - Took dogs in for microchip, rabies blood test, and new rabies vaccine.  Chip inserted, blood test taken.  Test sent to independent lab (two in U.S.A., one for millitary only, so it was sent to one at the University of Indiana -I think). 

July 15 - got results of test back - one dog had adequate rabies titre level, the other did not.  Because the vaccine takes a while to work into the system (i.e. not same day), and it had been too long since one of our dog's last rabies shot, it didn't have sufficent vaccine levels when they took the original blood test.  Result - that dog had to get re-tested to check for appropriate vaccine levels.

July 21 - 2nd dog get's retested.

July 30 - Got results back that the second dog was now ok.  OK, so six months from the time the passing blood test was taken, with the microchip info on the blood test, the dogs are ok to enter the UK....but then there's the paperwork.

Be sure to keep copies of EVERYTHING from the vet.  The indiana place that tests the rabies titre levels sends the vet (or faxes) a page of test results.   Keep that.  On the DEFRA website it says that they require a certified copy of that, when I contacted the lab that did the sample, they read me a DEFRA memo that says a simple copy is ok, doesn't need to be certified.  But I digress....

Once you get your test results back, you fill out a form (from the DEFRA website), not in front of me now so I can't remember which one it is.  Your vet signs the form and gives details about the rabies vaccine.  Then, that form, plus the copies of the passing rabies tests, get sent to your State Registered Veterinarian...(can't remember if it's the dept. of agriculture, but I think it is USDA).  Your Vet may know who this person is...it's a person licensed by whatever state you live in, to sign the export documents for animals), I think there's only one office per state so you may be able to find it on your state website or in the blue pages of your phone book.  We lived in NC at the time and mailed our paperwork to Raleigh...it was returned to us in 4 days with a state seal in the area where the state vet saw it.

After the paperwork is cleared by the state vet, you're just in a waiting game until the six months is up.  Remember that there are only certain routes / airlines that can bring pets into the UK.  We're bringing ours from washington d.c. so the only approved carrier is Virgin Atalantic.  They won't allow you to make a reservation until your paperwork is completed by the state rep.  Plus they have all sorts of restrictions on crate size etc.  Virgin is charging us $125 or something per pet handling charge - on top of the cargo charge.  Then when the animals get to Heathrow, the british government charges something like 250GBP ($500) each to process the animals into the country.  I haven't gotten to that stage yet so dont' quote me on that.

Karenn I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any more specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.  Good luck with everything! 
Stephan
Owner of Chilli Dog and Derby Dog
Dr. Steve

***The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step***

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
Good job Steve. We used the Home Again chip which is readable by both Euro and US readers.  Also make sure that the worming treatment used by your vet is the right one before you fly.  If you look on the DEFRA site there is a information sheet specifically for vets I gave that one to my vet  and it helped them a lot. The USDA site does indeed list all approved State Vets in the US and also has the address that the blood titers need to be sent to at Kansas State.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 05:30:28 PM »
Thank you for your response!

Still confused about the paperwork though.  Seriously, talk to me like I'm two!! ha

What certificates do I need and when? Where do I get these forms?? How do I get certified copies of things?

What paperwork do I need for the first vet visit? for the microchipping and vaccine..

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 06:27:26 PM »
i just read on a website  "England requires that the pet be vaccinated with a rabies vaccine that is approved for use within England."

what does that mean??

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:32:39 PM »
So this is what I need right?

1) official third country veterinarian certificate (Is this it? http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_065/l_06520040303en00130019.pdf)  (I start to have this filled out from the first appointment right?)

2) my pet’s vaccination record (does this need to be certified?)

3) certified copy of blood test results

4) tick and worm certificate (how do I get this?)

Am I missing anything?

Can I just print out the third country vet form I found on the internet to use? Or does my vet need to get this on their own?

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 04:17:36 PM »
help? please? anyone? my appointments in two days! eee

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 11:27:27 AM »
Karenn,
You don't need the certificate for the first visit.  i'll try to post a picture of our certificate so you can see what it looks like but I'm positive we either downloaded it from the DEFRA website or from the USDA website for our state.

One the first visit -
1)  Have the microchip implanted
2)  Get the blood tests taken to check the rabies titre levels - Have the microchip numbers on those blood tests, and be sure they are sent to the special lab at Kansas State
3)  Have the animals rabies vaccination administered.

It's not till after you get the results back (usually in two weeks) that you need the vet to fill out any of the paperwork.
Stephan
Dr. Steve

***The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step***

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 12:25:08 PM »
Only one thing... you have to get the rabies shot after the microchip and then a few days later go back for the titer blood test. 
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 12:29:41 PM »
Karen most of what you need is on the DEFRA site.  Basically print out the tips for vets sheet and take it to your vet.  On the first visit you need to pet in question to be microchipped and then have the vet give the rabies shot noting down the microchip number on the official vaccination record.  Also have them write down the vial number, vacine type dosage and date given.  All of this will need to be listed on an official vaccination record signed by your vet when you send evrything off to the USDA vet.  After a few days of the rabies vaccine and the microchipping you go back to the vet and get a blood sample.  This blood sample must be sent to the Kansas lab to be tested and takes a few weeks.  It must be overnighted.  Details are again provided on the DEFRA site and USDA.  So do that and then I will try to talk you through the nest steps.  Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 01:25:39 PM »
After a few days of the rabies vaccine and the microchipping you go back to the vet and get a blood sample

i thought i read on the website that you had to wait at least 30 days after the pet was vaccinated to get the blood test done.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 01:26:27 PM »
Things may have changed.  We did ours four days after.  Let me double check.

I can't see where it says that.  It refers to each vaccine having a specific amount of time before full efficacy.

I did find this checklist that may help you a lot.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/nonEUq&a.htm
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 01:30:08 PM by vnicepeeps »

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 01:35:36 PM »
and the fact sheet with all the details you ever needed to know:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet4a.pdf

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 01:36:44 PM »
Kansas Addy that you need to have your vet send the blood sample to:

FAVN Rabies Laboratory
1800 Denison Avenue
Mosier Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan
Kansas 66506-5601
USA

Tel: (+1) 785 532 5650

Fax: (+1) 785 532 4481

E-mail: rabies@vet.ksu.edu

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 01:40:10 PM »
Also the way we got in has now changed.  You need to have a valid EU PETS Passport.   It seems to me that the document you have above is the one you need, but I would get it directly from DEFRA to be sure.

Sponsored Links