Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I start looking?  (Read 1562 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Can I start looking?
« on: January 23, 2005, 07:59:53 PM »
I am going to be married  mid-June and I realize that I cannot work until I get my spousal visa, which should be by the middle or end of June or beginning of July. (My fiance visa expires 12 July.)

In the US, if you are accepted for a position, you are expected to start within two weeks, the standard amount of time for giving notice of resignation to your old job.  Companies like to have positions filled immediately.  Despite having excellent qualifications, you can lose a job simply because you didn't apply fast enough.

I've noticed that on UK websites, companies and recruiting agencies often ask how soon you can start working, with possible answers being as late as 3 or 6 months from when you apply. I've also read on this board that UK companies can take a very long time to make hiring decisions.

So, would it be possible or even worthwhile to start actively looking for jobs in the near future, knowing that I would not be able to start working for a number of months? I would clearly explain my situation on my CV and cover letter, so there would be no risk of doing anything illegal. When the time comes when I am legally able to work, I would prefer to have my job search already well under way, rather than just beginning. Being new to the UK job search experience: CV writing, interview procedures and so on, I could use as much job hunting experience as possible.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Can I start looking?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 08:01:42 PM »
You're not allowed to seek work until you have your spousal visa.  You cannot apply for a job or look for one with a fiancee visa.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• AAGGGHH!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 08:08:00 PM »
Also, from what I understand with recruitment agencies, they will keep your information but not start looking until you are able to work.  At least, that is what the recruitment agencies I deal with do.

• York Interweb
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 09:32:33 PM »
Of course, I would not want to do anything illegal.

However, I would like someone to show me where it says someone on a fiance visa cannot seek employment, as opposed to actually working. 

The fiance visa says "no work" not "no looking for work."

As a matter of fact, as suggested documentation to support a fiance visa application, the BritainUSA website suggests providing:

"Offers of employment for either/both parties including details of salary."

Either/both parties must include the sponsor as well as the person who has the fiance visa.

My question really wasn't whether it was legal, but whether it was worth the trouble.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 09:37:20 PM »
Most employers would just toss your CV in the bin if you don't have the right to work here yet. You will find a lot of job ads now state they only want to receive applications from people who already have the right to work here.  The employment market is very competetive here so they aren't going to look twice at a CV for someone who isn't yet legal to work here when they have 100 CVs for people who are.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:45:32 PM »
Whether or not it's worth the trouble is irrelevant.  
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 09:48:01 PM »
No, not worth the trouble!  I did some searching about 3 weeks before coming back with my visa.  I got a few emails back saying please register AGAIN when you are LIVING in the UK and ABLE to work. 

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 09:50:22 PM »
Also, you run the risk that some do gooder will ring up wht Home Office and report you for trying to get work without the correct visa. Not trying to frighten you but stuff like that can and does happen.  But no reason why you can't go along to an agency or two and get some advice on CV preparation etc

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 10:25:16 PM »
I agree; it probably wouldn't hurt to speak with recruitment agencies, but I highly doubt they'd take you on until you are legal to work.

In April 2004, the HO sent guidance on the new immigration laws to all those listed as PAYEs.  This gives details and examples of those eligible to work in the UK.  With that so fresh in some employers' minds, I've heard of some employers being very cautious with immigrant employment.

Didn't DUC have some problems even though she is eligible to work here?
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• York Interweb
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 11:18:02 PM »
I was thinking more on the line of sending out queries and dealing with recruitment agencies.

As I mentioned, my CV and cover letter would clearly state when I become eligible to work in the UK, so I don't think there would be a question of me trying to do anything sneaky that would violate immigration rules.

It wouldn't hurt to have my CV put in a file for future reference; you never know when a job opportunity would come up.

This doesn't apply to my situation, but I have seen foreigners post on message boards saying that they would like to work in the UK--not having a visa or work permit or anything--and recruiters replying that if the person looking for the job emails them more information, they will see what they can do.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 11:25:02 PM »
I talked to my friend who worked at a recruitment agency.  She basically told me they have thrown away CV's from people who could not work in the UK at the present time, even if they would be able to in the near future.  I know that sounds horrible, (I was pretty shocked actually) just in case you are thinking about putting a lot of work into this.  I did a lot of research to see what was out there, but I didn't hear back from anyone when I applied.  I didn't even get an email telling me why.  As soon as I was back with the Visa, the calls and emails started coming in.  Just an FYI.

• York Interweb
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »
Thank you. Good to know :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 09:04:10 AM »
So you send in your CV and they love you but you're still not eligible to work - and then something falls through in your relationship and you NEVER become eligible to work because you never get married.

I wouldn't take that chance as a prospective employer.

And DUC had a problem even though she'd ALREADY BEEN WORKING in the UK for some time and was very much legal to work.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 11:46:15 AM »
What if an employer gets your CV, thinks you're perfect, they even interview you, they want to offer you the job and then your visa is still a few weeks away ... it's not very likely they are going to wait for you, even if you're the most fabulous person on earth, when they can offer the job to someone who can start tomorrow.

If I were you, I'd use the downtime to research local companies, hone my CV for the local market and see if I could get some interview practice with an agency or two. Agencies are quite good for that sort of thing.  As stacey says it would be a pity to put in a lot of effort applying for jobs all for nothing.

• York Interweb
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 11:58:05 AM »
Good advice, Britwife. I would start by going through agencies anyway, as I don't have enough knowledge about working in the UK yet to feel comfortable applying to an employer directly.

Sponsored Links