Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 108188 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
To all my replies: Wow, that's really cool to know.  I didn't realize the products had been here forever - I was sort of responding to all the previous posts saying "bring your own toiletries and feminine products because they won't have them here".  In my limited experience, I think that's probably untrue unless you use something really obscure.  The leading brands are bound to be here. 

And to June Cleaver, thanks a million.  Asda is hard to get to from where I am at the moment but Wilkies is everywhere!!  Woo-hoo!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »
To all my replies: Wow, that's really cool to know.  I didn't realize the products had been here forever - I was sort of responding to all the previous posts saying "bring your own toiletries and feminine products because they won't have them here".  In my limited experience, I think that's probably untrue unless you use something really obscure.  The leading brands are bound to be here. 

Yeah, it's mainly specific products that you might want to bring with you - I've recently moved to the US, but before I left the UK, I looked up my favourite products to see if I could buy them in the US. Most things are available here, but it turns out that the particular deodorant (Nivea), shower foam (Imperial Leather) and foot cream (Garnier) that I prefer to use are not sold in the US (that I have found at least), so I made sure to stock up and bring lots with me.

So it's not that you won't be able to find the major brands you're used to seeing in the US, but there might be certain products within a brand or smaller, less well-known (i.e. US-only) brands that you use that are not easy to get hold of in the UK.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
Some items which are nominally the same product in both the U.S. and the U.K. may well have slightly different formulations too, due to varying laws about allowable additives etc.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2008, 05:26:58 PM »
And to June Cleaver, thanks a million.  Asda is hard to get to from where I am at the moment but Wilkies is everywhere!!  Woo-hoo!
:)  Happy to help!  I hope you find what you're looking for.

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
After seeing the deoderant selection in Tescos, I can now see why people say to bring a lot of your deoderant over.  ::)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »
After seeing the deodorant selection in Tescos, I can now see why people say to bring a lot of your deodorant over.  ::)

I brought over alot of Secret Deodorant but sadly for it doesn't work for here in the UK.  :(  so I had to buy several different kinds of deodorant but after many trials & failed attempts Mitchum is the only 1 that works for me here in the UK.  ;)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
After seeing the deoderant selection in Tescos, I can now see why people say to bring a lot of your deoderant over.  ::)

Why?

I use Boots own brand of roll-on deodorant and I like it more than anything I ever used in the US!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
Why?

I use Boots own brand of roll-on deodorant and I like it more than anything I ever used in the US!

Because it looked like it was mostly roll-on deodorant.  I've never had much luck with those.  I prefer solids that go on invisible.  I've always used Secret Invisible Solid.

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »
Because it looked like it was mostly roll-on deodorant.  I've never had much luck with those.  I prefer solids that go on invisible.  I've always used Secret Invisible Solid.
Dove makes a pretty decent invisible solid that's available in the UK. I hate roll-on too.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »

I'm the other way around - all the solid deodorants I've tried in the US have given me an allergic reaction so I have to import my roll-ons from the UK (ones that I know I'm not allergic to) because I can't seem to find any roll-ons at all here ??? and I'm not really a fan of aerosol deodorants.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
Ignore me. I got confused about where you were living.  :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:05:03 PM by chary »
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
I just want to thank everyone for replying to this thread and helping us newbies, about to embark unto this adventurer, and not doing it blindly, because of all the helpful info I've found here.   :)

• My Travel Blog
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2008, 05:39:24 AM »
Hokay, so you are all going to hate me, but I gotta ask the stupid questions. I'm going to be studying for the year, (4 months then home for christmas then 5 months then home again)
So here's my "life's necessities list"...can anyone fill me in about whether or not it's worth it just to bring my own from home?

--Supplements (I take a mulivatamin and a Calcium supplement)
--protein bars
--Mitchum Women's clear gel deodorant

And...that's it, really. I can deal with experimenting with different shampoos as well has hair products.
But what's the deal with Ziploc bags? are they just really expensive? or what? I'm confused.
Thus spake Catie, lord and master of the pirate islands.

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2008, 05:58:06 AM »
Hokay, so you are all going to hate me, but I gotta ask the stupid questions. I'm going to be studying for the year, (4 months then home for christmas then 5 months then home again)
So here's my "life's necessities list"...can anyone fill me in about whether or not it's worth it just to bring my own from home?

--Supplements (I take a mulivatamin and a Calcium supplement)
--protein bars
--Mitchum Women's clear gel deodorant

And...that's it, really. I can deal with experimenting with different shampoos as well has hair products.
But what's the deal with Ziploc bags? are they just really expensive? or what? I'm confused.

We do have vitamin supplements here, so no worries there.
Health food shops will sell protein bars, but it's not something i would buy, so i cant say what brands or types there are.

But if you are stuck on that particular type of deodorant, then bring it.   We have Mitchum womens deodorant here, but it's a solid/stick, and lately the only scent i have found is water lily, although i have found baby powder scent in the past.

As for the Ziplocs... i have no idea what 'the deal' is.  Some people are just overly-particular about some things... for me it's white tuna and bedsheets... to others, it's Ziploc bags! 

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2008, 06:20:10 AM »
Will I be sorry if I don't bring my quilting supplies with me?  Templates, rotary cutter, patterns, maybe a bit of fabric?  I can't bring everything I want to, some things have to be left behind but it's so hard to decide what goes and what stays.   :-\\\\

Sponsored Links