Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 103835 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2002, 06:10:50 PM »
CDs!

At home I rely almost exclusively on the radio but playlists are so different in the UK, I found myself craving some alternative/classic rock.

UK radio stations seem to be almost exclusively dance, techno, pop, or garage. And their pop is a lot less "rock"-y than pop in the US. And forget about finding country, other than Shania Twain. If you like it, you've got to bring it along.

• I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    • Our Site
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2002, 02:41:31 PM »
Blue Jeans that fit the American fuller figure!  Thank God I've got friends willing to send me more.

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde

• AZ > Scotland > AZ *together at last!*
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2002, 09:51:46 AM »
My guitar.

American Calendar with American Holiday dates in it
(after awhile I forget if Thanksgiving is the last Thursday or the second to last Thursday... more confusing because my birthday is usually close -- so I can get really confused...  :o )
Even if its just the freebies from Hallmark stores...

Outdoors pictures of your home... I had a few, but it would have been nice to have a few more... the outside of your house, your neighborhood, whatever the countryside or non-city/built up areas look like... when you make friends etc... here sometimes they're interested to see that we don't all live on Southfork Plantation or Melrose Place...

agree on everything else... especially cookbooks and measuring devices and baking pans of all sorts.

Flavored ground coffee... I now have a supplier (my dad)... but haven't found any around me in flavors/strength I want worth the price they're asking... may be much different in the larger cities.

My brand of deoderant/anti-perspirant...only recently have I found the stick for women - not smelling like a man (versus roll ons which I find wet and sticky) or sprays.  Don't have to have this shipped anymore, but did at one time.

Baby Cornstarch.  Can't find it *anywhere!!*  Have this supplied to me too, and buy it in bulk at home.

Hydrogen Peroxide.  I don't think its dangerous to bring over(maybe it is and I'm just not aware of it....), but that is what I clean my pierced ears with - - had to go to the chemist and *ask* for it, they don't have it on the shelves.  And they asked me what I was going to use if for... And this tiny bottle cost me something like a £1.60  :o ??? :o !!!  So next time I went to Walgreens I bought the largest plastic bottle I could for 39cents (!) and still have it!!

Ranch Dressing Mix (in the packets) - if you like the packet and not the bottle stuff, bring over a supply and line up a supplier... Good Seasons Italian dressing in a packet... same advice.  These are basics in my diet  ;) !!

x

« Last Edit: August 29, 2002, 10:10:18 AM by Carrie_in_Scotland »
Life is not a dress rehearsal, find your spotlight and don't be upstaged!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2002, 12:01:49 PM »
I could never bring enough of my favorite beauty products - I'm a brand monster - or seasoning items like the Ranch dressing mix, Old Bay, Jack Daniel's steak sauce, guacamole seasoning....my mother sent care packages and I stocked up everytime I went back to the States.

Now that I'm back on the other side, I miss seasoning packets that I got used to while living in the UK - Schwartz potato wedges and roasting packet for winter veg, sausage casserole, shepherd's pie seasoning, ... can't wait to visit and stock up.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2002, 09:00:41 PM »
After being here 2 months, there's 1 main thing I wish I had brought that I didn't: a stock of Almay Face Powder, pressed, in my shade. I didn't bring extra because I knew they sold Almay here, but I can't for the *life* of me find my shade of pressed powder. I've checked stores in Ely, King's Lynn, Peterborough, Cambridge... and well I've just given up and am trying new brands. I just get annoyed trying new brands of make-up because my face is so uber-sensitive... blah blah blah. Anyway, wish I had me makeup on me, trying out some Loereal stuff tomorrow. I have been pretty unhappy with all the Rimmell products I've tried so far...
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Maine to London
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2002, 08:10:59 PM »
What a great idea this is . . . I wish I had a resource like this BEFORE I moved to the UK . . . here are my additions . . .

any beauty products that you cannot live without
your favorite deoderant
feminine hygiene products (they are different here)

And (sorry boys, I know this is tmi) stock up on birth control.  
I had some trouble here.  Since I do not have a National Health # yet I cannot fill perscriptions or visit the doctor for that matter.  So, I had a family member ship me a few months worth of birth control from the states.  I renewed my prescription before I left the states, and I am good for the next year.  (thank goodness)  

And, the water here is very hard (hubby says it is the calcuim? in the water).  So, I suddenly have unmanagable hair, never had that problem before  ::).  And since you will have the heat on quite a bit of the time, lots of lotion!  

And, here's a biggie, Comfortable shoes! :P  Especially if you are going to be in London!  
gloves, scarves, and a warm coat with a hood.  
Also, you cannot use your TV or phone here, so you might as well sell it or give it away.  Any other electrical appliances you will need a converter, the plugs here are different.  
I would suggest you carefully consider your clothes because there is absolutely no storage here  ::).  
Stock up on your disposable contacts.  
Be sure to go to the doctor and the dentist one last time.  
oh, and renew your drivers license.  
Okay, I think I am finished rambling.  I know I would have appreciated this advise before I arrived here. ;)
expat
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2002, 04:43:11 PM »
Crackers.  Can't think of the proper names of them in the States (think it's like Krispy or something)  The ones that Michael likes are sooooo nasty :-X  Uhmm...haven't seen it yet but it might be out there...but Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.  Have been having a hankerin for a tallll glass of chocolate milk.  Measuring cups.  I know...I know that someone else has posted it as something that I should have brought with me..buuut y'all remember what it's like trying to pack to move here!  But I actually did find some measuring spoons at Morrison's.  Nearly cried with joy when I found them ;D

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2002, 12:20:00 AM »
Plug adapters.  We have several computer type devices that have internal adapters, but, obviously, the plugs are still US configuration.  We only brought one with us.  I finally found some at Currys -- they were called "tourist" plug adapters and work for any plug (US/European/Australian) to UK.  4.99 was the cheapest.  I saw them for 2.95 in the States -- knew I should have followed my instinct and stocked up before we moved!

Stephanie

• Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2002, 05:56:50 PM »
Aleve. Naproxen sodium. Lots of it. Available here only by prescription.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2003, 02:24:22 PM »
After being here a few months, I've created a list.

Ahem... here I go.

Tootsie Rolls.

More deodorant. I hate the stuff they have here.

My crockpot. (it's the only way to cook chili)

My electric heatpad.

More excedrin (although, my mother did just send me a bottle of 250 of them. hee hee)

My photo albums. They would have been more weight, but it would be nice to have those when I'm missing family.

My cat. God I miss her so much. My mother is cruel enough to have her meow into the phone when I'm talking with her.

My car.

My favourite bags. I don't know why I left them.

Other shoes. I brought the wrong ones.

Other clothes. See above.

There's more but that's all I can think of.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• NYC to London. Must be a city thing.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2003, 07:46:17 PM »
Oh man, I come across something at least once a week that I say, I should make a list, so next time I visit (or someone comes here) I can get it in the States. These are just some of the things I have 'supplied' by my mom or visitors on a regular basis:

+Ziploc bags (in every size!) -- I have learned to use less of these, once I bought/brought over the next item...
+Rubbermain/tupperware/generic plastic containers in various sizes. Now I import them for my mother-in-law as well :)
+M&Ms. For some reason, the ones here just aren't the same.
+Benedryl, for hubby's allergies. Way too expensive here.
+On the same note, we buy huge bottles of ibuprofren as well.
+Non-sticks pots & pans. My husband is just amazed at the Circulon pots I got in the States, and they're so much cheaper there too.
+Non-stick muffin pans, baking sheets, etc. Of course, I had to leave tons home cause they wouldn't fit in my oven, but the rest are very useful (can i just emphasize again that certain things are just so much cheaper from the US!)
+marshmallows. Crazy, huh? The stuff they call marshmallows here are coated with candy stuff and just don't taste right!
+deoderant. Oh yes, there's a reason this was listed on so many other people's lists too. Ugh.
+Dial soap. Sensitive skin + unknown soap brands = paranoia.
+Contact lens solution. This is because I'm very sensitive and seem to have a problem with the kind I get here, even though the brands are the same (but the price isn't!)
+Until recently, I was getting my birth control pills shipped monthly from my mom. Then I was off my private insurance in the US, and I asked my doctor for a year's worth precription. Since I was paying for it on my own, the drug store had no problem with doing it. Of course, it is costly doing a whole lot at once, so I am looking forward to figure out the health care here (yes, something I should have done already!) so I can get my prescriptions here.
+I used to bring over 'feminine care products', until I found Tampax here, and adjusted to the other brands of things for my other needs. I decided one day to just deal with the UK varieties.
+Microwave popcorn. It's here, but it's costly.
+Plus-size clothing. Come on, Evans is usually a joke with their styles, and the only option here.

I should mention that I was spoiled with a warehouse grocery store membership while in the states, and got used to buying in bulk anyway, so my main problem now is shipping all the stuff we need. We usually bring one empty suitcase with us to fill with purchases. It's not just me -- my husband is just as eager to buy the goods cheaper and easier. Yes, I still haven't figured out which stores to buy things in here. But I'm pretty sure that much of my list is not available at reasonable prices in the UK. OK, now I sound like I'm obsessed with money. But it does bear consideration, especially since we travel back and forth, or have people over from the US fairly often (at least twice a year currently).

The next list I suggest is one of the things that we bring to the States for people who have become addicted to the British stuff. For example, one of my friends requests HobNobs all the time, my brother demands DVDs he can't get back home, and I now must have my own supply of Typhoo teabags when I'm visiting 'home'.
"You can wordify anything if you just verb it." -- Bucky, Get Fuzzy

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2003, 09:18:13 PM »
My sister is coming in July and she's already complaining about all the stuff she's going to have to bring over with her.

Here's the list I gave her so far:

Kraft Shells & Cheese
Tootsie Rolls
Taco Bell stuff (beans, sauces, she's even going to nick a few salsa sachets from the restaurant)
Microwave popcorn
Root beer
Pancake mix (I like the blueberry kind and can't be bothered to make it myself.)

Dang, I can't remember the rest, but it was a lot. I'm thinking about making her bring bacon. I absolutely hate the bacon here and Jon's a vegetarian, so he doesn't care. Although, I've found this stuff from Morningstar. It's streaky bacon, but meatless. And it's a product of the US. It's smells and tastes exactly how bacon should even though it's like plastic. It's the only stuff I'll eat!!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2003, 08:17:48 PM »
I wish I had brought more of my craft and sewing supplies.  

After being used to going to places like Michael's and JoAnn's it was a shock when I realized that finding craft/sewing items are not all that easy here.  Oh, there are quilting/fabric/craft stores around and I've found some of them, but they're usually a long distance apart and very expensive.

Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2003, 12:16:56 AM »
Tootie rolls
 Curling iron
 Douces *spelling*  intimet female cleaning items
 Crock pot..one we have is too small
 a lifetime supply of Slim Jims..not beef jerky.
 Hubby would love Mt DEW.
 My friends, my family
  my yorkie
  Taco bell..god what I wouldn't give for a real taco bell salad.

All you care to eat places...
   and the community love that I had back home.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 04:02:10 PM by admin »
Cynda Gunn

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2003, 11:58:58 AM »
They do have measuring cups here, but when you first move here, if you do any cooking, it'll probably be from a US cookbook, so the familiar things help the transition. Having said that tho, Lakeland Limited has a wonderful one with both imperial and metric measurements. Has made my life a whole lot easier :)

In hindsight,  there are a few things that I brought that have been godsends (cause they don't have it here)- like my salad shooter!! lol Most of the other stuff I brought has now been replaced with UK stuff.

Outside of food, I've been able to survive.......and doing well on that account as well. Of course, I've been here 4 years and have finally learned where to find things!

Sherry

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab