Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 108190 times)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
I found a giant jug of white vinegar at a large Chinese grocery store (Hoo Hing).
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »
I found a giant jug of white vinegar at a large Chinese grocery store (Hoo Hing).

Is the dim sum they serve at the restaurant at Hoo Hing any good do you know? :)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »
I've never tried it. I always forget it's there.  :-\\\\

Speaking of hidden places to eat, there is supposed to be a fab vegetarian Indian place right next to Neasden Temple but it look like a cash and carry. We'd love to try that place too.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:48 PM »
That one is spiced, with mixed spice.  I just want plainy-plain ole white vinegar, but I'll keep looking around for a bigger bottle.  I bought the small plain one at Morrisons last week, but already through it all already - lol!

I don't know what spice they use in it, but it never leaves a residue and it's clear.  I use it for cleaning/descaling.  If anything, it's stronger than the smaller bottles of white vinegar I get (own brand).  I guess I should be worried that I've been leaving spices on my mirrors, windows, kettle, and greasy spots, but I am not really. ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:49:15 PM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
About electrics...I'm glad I brought very little when I went overseas, as it isn't just the plug which is different.  Yes, you can get a plug adaptor.  But the real problem is that the voltage is completely different!  It's what...240 here?  As opposed to only the average 110v back in the US.  Trust me, you don't want to plug something that's made for US current into the current here.  There are voltage adaptors--that you would need in addition to plug adaptors, if you want to use US electric based stuff)--we have a couple.  But they actually tend to get very hot themselves, and are, I hear, pretty pricey.  You'd need one for each US voltage item you'd want to use.  It's cheaper and safer--I've found--to just buckle down and get the British equivalent of an item. 

We had a dear friend that moved back to Woodstock, UK over 15 years ago and she used these with no problems.

I am buying several and shipping them over with our stuff.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2013, 01:04:15 PM »
I just finished my last container of Comet.  It is the only thing that will clean the sink from all the tea and coffee that gets poured in it.  I can't find it here and really wish I had stocked up on it at BJs before moving.

I think of things daily that I wish I had stocked up on (and I stocked up on a lot too), but today I feel sad and am mourning my last Comet.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
I just finished my last container of Comet.  It is the only thing that will clean the sink from all the tea and coffee that gets poured in it.  I can't find it here and really wish I had stocked up on it at BJs before moving.

I think of things daily that I wish I had stocked up on (and I stocked up on a lot too), but today I feel sad and am mourning my last Comet.

I see Ajax (same sort of thing) at odd places every now and then, but haven't found any for a while.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• At the U2 concert!
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Burts Bees, Franks Red Hot Sauce (I'm from Buffalo), Lawry's Season Salt, more socks, eyeliner, Halloween deco, and whole beans of Sbux coffee.
First visit to US (2 weeks)- October 2009
Second visit to US (3 months)- December 2009
First visit to UK - August 2010
Second visit to UK - October 2010
Third visit to UK - December 2010 (Engaged!)
His visit to US-April 2011
Married-May 2011!!!!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
Burts Bees, Franks Red Hot Sauce (I'm from Buffalo), Lawry's Season Salt, more socks, eyeliner, Halloween deco, and whole beans of Sbux coffee.
Lawry's is easy peasy to make yourself. :) Salt, paprika, garlic granules, onion granules and a bit of turmeric. :) Not exactly the same, but delicious and you can control how much/little salt you put in it!

Some recipes have sugar in them but they're all basically this:

http://www.wherethecookiesare.com/2013/11/18/homemade-lawrys-style-seasoned-salt/

[smiley=chef.gif]
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:32 AM »

They have a ton of Burt's Bees stuff available at Waitrose and online on Burt's Bees. Sometimes they have these great reduced prices on grab bag type bundles.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »

I've seen Franks Red Hot sauce in Asda.
I've seen Burts Bees stuff in Whole Foods... although there's no Whole Foods in the Toon.  Come up to Glasgow some weekend and stock up on Burts Bees, maybe?
There are lots of 'copycat' recipes for Lawry's salt online.
You can get a huge amount of socks for very little money at Primark.
Eyeliner is sold wherever makeup is sold... Boots, Superdrug, etc.
Can't help with the Halloween stuff, although I did see lots of it in Poundland last autumn.
Sbux... is that Starbucks? If so, I'm pretty sure they sell their beans instore.

So... you're sorted!!  ;D

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
You can get Kirkland Starbucks roasted coffee bean at Costco. I have some. Tasty.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
Ziplock bags (the kind that have an actual zip -- the press together ones are annoying), especially the 2.5 gal. size.

My fleece bathrobe -- bulky so would take up most of a suitcase

My shoes and boots -- ditto

Family photographs
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2014, 02:51:35 PM »
Burts Bees is everywhere around here.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
Ziplock bags (the kind that have an actual zip -- the press together ones are annoying), especially the 2.5 gal. size.

My fleece bathrobe -- bulky so would take up most of a suitcase

My shoes and boots -- ditto

Family photographs

!!!BD, you left your bathrobe and shoes?  I don't know if I could do that, but we are shipping our whole apt. anyway.  I have a solution for family photos: I'm in the process of scanning them all and uploading to Google Drive.  I will not get rid of them, but just leave them with my Mama.  We paid for 200GB of storage, and this way we can access them any time we please, and of course print them out again in the UK if we want them on the walls and whatnot. Of course this is best done if you  have a high quality scanner, but it can also be done with a cheap printer/scanner/fax.  I know it's too late for you, but it's an idea for anyone who hasn't moved yet.  I'm also doing this with old handwritten letters, cards, journals, and notes.  I don't want to drag along boxes of stuff I never look at, but I also don't want to lose any 'treasures'.
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

Sponsored Links