Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 103839 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2006, 03:04:20 PM »
Yes as QG said, I should qualify to say you can definitely get soy nuts in the London area.  Not sure if you have those stores I mentioned near you!

Have you found fresh or frozen soybeans yet?? I scour my supermarket every time  hoping for a little joy, no luck yet. That and sweet pickles.  :-\\\\

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2006, 10:03:18 PM »
How about REAL pickles?? The only thing I can find is whole kosher dills, which are both expensive and not ideal for sandwiches!  I miss my cheap sandwich dills :(.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2006, 11:34:48 PM »
If you use Aleve, pack the biggest bottle you can find, cause you can't get it here. :(
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »
I have a couple questions on things that were mentioned earlier:

Pie pans, bread loaf pans, muffin tins, flat griddle, bundt pan... Can you not get these at all?  Or are they just expensive?  I bake a LOT and I need these items.  Don't mind paying a higher price so I don't have to pack them, but if they're not available then I will definitely pack them!

Blue Jeans - someone mention they were not available in the more generous cut.  Do you mean by this that they only come in smaller sizes or that they are cut narrow through the hips?  I currently wear a US size 12.  I'd rather not bring Jeans if I don't have to, but I'm not about to go without!

Ziplocs and Tupperware -  You mean they don't have these AT ALL????

Does anyone know where I can pick up a plug adapter and voltage adapter for my laptop?  It's the only electrical thing I am brining. 

Thanks in advance anyone who answers!  :)

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2006, 08:02:05 PM »
Pie pans, bread loaf pans, muffin tins, flat griddle, bundt pan... Can you not get these at all?  Or are they just expensive?  I bake a LOT and I need these items.  Don't mind paying a higher price so I don't have to pack them, but if they're not available then I will definitely pack them!

Blue Jeans - someone mention they were not available in the more generous cut.  Do you mean by this that they only come in smaller sizes or that they are cut narrow through the hips?  I currently wear a US size 12.  I'd rather not bring Jeans if I don't have to, but I'm not about to go without!

Ziplocs and Tupperware -  You mean they don't have these AT ALL????

Does anyone know where I can pick up a plug adapter and voltage adapter for my laptop?  It's the only electrical thing I am brining. 

You can find all of the above here. It just might take awhile to find exactly what you are looking for though. So if you are patient you can find replacements of all of your baking ware

there are ziploc and tupperware like products here. even those disposable plasticware things.

adapters... airport, or before you leave or electronic shops

jeans... they sell them here with a selection of styles and cuts. of course if you have a favorite at home bring it as again it maight take you awhile to find replacements of what you like.

the UK is not completely a hole.

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:48 PM »
Thanks so much, Olive Oyl!  I was a little worried there what with all the comments on people wishing they'd brought what I consider essentials to life!  lol  I don't mind paying more for things than I would in the US.  I expect that.  Plus my fiance makes decent money, so there is no hardship there.  I was just worried that some of these things wouldn't be available at all!

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:46 PM »
if you have an open mind (and sounds like you have) you will do just fine finding replacements here!!  :)

• Have I really been here 4 years?!
    • Cakes by Rach - custom cakes for any occasion
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »
You can get a pretty good price on adapters on e-bay. we just purchased a bunch for the electronics that we are going to bringing with us. They also have plenty of voltage converters, but make sure you get the correct wattage!
As far as baking wear.... My mother-in-law is very into baking very nice cakes and such for birthdays, and if she wants a neat shaped pan or something, she just rents it from someplace, sometimes places like bakeries will rent them out. Just a thought! It saves bringing them and buying them!

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2006, 02:24:51 AM »
Thanks!  What a great idea!

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2006, 01:59:42 PM »
One thing about baking pans is that mine from the US wouldn't fit in my oven in the UK.  I had to buy some upon arrival. 
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• Have I really been here 4 years?!
    • Cakes by Rach - custom cakes for any occasion
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2006, 08:35:40 PM »
Another good place that my husband just reminded me of to get adapters and voltage converters is www.maplin.co.uk. He says that there are also lots of stores around in the UK if you look on the web site... saves a bit on shipping that way.

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2006, 08:59:43 PM »
Maplin also have a really good catalogue for all sorts of weird electrical things!

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2006, 01:33:46 AM »
Oh, that's even better.  Less to pack! :)

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2006, 10:37:36 AM »

Have a look at the label on the laptop's power unit.  Many of the newer power supplies will accept either 120 or 240 volt inputs, in which case you would need only the plug adapter.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2006, 04:56:02 PM »
I wish I had brought more Penguins Chocolate caffeinated mints. :(
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

Sponsored Links