Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shipping Rx  (Read 1006 times)

• Liked: 0
Shipping Rx
« on: January 24, 2005, 10:25:38 AM »
Hi,

My Meds in the US are cheaper as I get a three month supply for $12.  Question-if my mom renews and ships them over, will UK customs place a duty on them?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Shipping Rx
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 10:26:42 AM »
I don't know the answer to that, but what is it going to cost to ship them and does it still make them cheaper?

Just a thought.  :)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Life not only begins at 40, it begins to show.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 11:37:32 AM »
Depending on how strict the whole shipping regulations have become, USPS might even refuse to ship medications! Next option would be that your mom puts something other than "medication" on the declaration form and you keep your fingers crossed that the package won't be checked/opened. [smiley=anxious.gif]

I don't know if this applies to you but you can obtain a Medical Exemption Card if you suffer from certain medical conditions. In this case, you wouldn't have to pay anything for prescriptions in the UK. Here's the link to the NHS info leaflet.

The following links provide you with info on import regulations to the UK:

UK Food Standards Agency
HM Customs and Excise who also provide a National Advice Line, phone #0845 010 9000 (UK), on all import-related questions (f.i. possible import taxes to pay).
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." — Kurt Cobain

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:13:31 AM »
As a rule, pharmaceutical imports into the UK are duty-free.  Remember that in any case, duty is assessed based upon the value declared for customs purposes on your shipping forms.  If your mom declares a low value, even if duty is payable, it would be minimal.  It's always good to enclose a photocopy of the doctor's prescription for the medication in case there's any question.  (I work for a shipping company that specializes in servicing the pharmaceutical industry.)
Bored

Sponsored Links