Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about applying for spouse visa  (Read 1411 times)

• Liked: 2
Question about applying for spouse visa
« on: January 25, 2005, 04:15:03 PM »
We are getting married on 26 February and my fiance visa expires on 10 March so need to apply for the spouse visa fairly quickly after the wedding otherwise I will have to go back to the states. How long does it take to get the copy of your marriage certificate?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Question about applying for spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 04:16:54 PM »
You get it at the marriage ceremony.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »
Thanks peedal, that's great news! We'll take a trip to Croyden on 28 Feb to turn in the application.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 04:33:19 PM »
Be aware that Croydon is now taking appointments.  Call them on 0870 606 7766 to find out if you absolutely need to book one.

Also, you should download the form and have it all filled out w/photos attached before you go.

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 10:10:15 PM »
I was looking over the FLR application from the Home Office web site and it said one of the required things to send was our drivers liscences. Now how can they ask for that when people need those? My fiance has to work everyday. I was thinking about mailing in the application after we're married but he can't afford to be without his drivers liscence for that long, do they accept a certified copy for that? Also, my fiance visa was issued just last week and we're getting married in the middle of June, would I still be ok for sending in the FLR application after we're married?

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 10:29:50 PM »
Are you sure that's mandatory? What about people who don't drive? There must be something else you can submit instead.

Edited because I just checked the form, at the bottom of  p7 it says:

"The following are examples of formal documents that may be provided..."

(emphasis added) In other words you don't have to provide driving licences, that is just an example of the kind of document you could provide.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 10:37:45 PM by Britwife »

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 11:16:14 PM »
Ahh that's good! What about my time limit? If my visa is up in July and I apply in June will I be ok as long as they're processing my application? I thought I read somewhere you have to submit it like 4 weeks prior to the expiration date of the fiance visa.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 11:26:01 PM »
You'll be fine as long as they have your documents.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 06:21:35 AM »
And also, it's not compulsory to carry your driving licence with you in the UK.
If he got pulled over or something, he would just have to bring the licence into a police station to prove he's got one.  He doesnt have to have it on him in order to drive legally.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 06:29:14 AM »
Ahh that's good! What about my time limit? If my visa is up in July and I apply in June will I be ok as long as they're processing my application? I thought I read somewhere you have to submit it like 4 weeks prior to the expiration date of the fiance visa.
Once they have it and are processing you are fine--- your fiancee visa is automatically extended until a decision is made--or you can go in person and get it on the same day.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 12:20:41 PM »
Wait a minute, what do you mean a "decision?" Why would they turn you down if you gave them all the documents they needed when you got the fiance visa? I thought all they want with the FLR is the marriage liscence, the passport with the visa in it and a couple other documents?

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 12:23:07 PM »
Wait a minute, what do you mean a "decision?" Why would they turn you down if you gave them all the documents they needed when you got the fiance visa? I thought all they want with the FLR is the marriage liscence, the passport with the visa in it and a couple other documents?

It's up to the Home Office to decide whether to grant FLR/LLR.  I mean, if everything's in order, there's no reason why they shouldn't.  But it is still a "decision" by them to grant you FLR/LLR.

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 12:42:01 PM »
Everything should go smoothly, I had all the documents they required for the fiance visa and they told me in a matter of days after I sent them off I was approved. I honestly thought it would take alot longer or they'd find something wrong. (that's just me, a chronic worrier) ::) I noticed on the FLR application that there's alot of parts I can completely skip since I went the route of the fiance visa and they already have the documents they need for us. I'm hoping it will even speed up the process of getting it back but I won't hold my breath. Maybe we will take the trip to Croyden when the time comes but it's so far! :-\\\\

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »
There are other offices besides Croydon, as well.

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 02:46:57 PM »
they'd find something wrong. (that's just me, a chronic worrier)

It is truly not worth worrying about.

The first spousal refusal for 2005 that I learned about this morning:  Our embassy in Bangkok refused a spousal last week.  UK/Thai - he's, 79, she's, 28.  She can't speak a word of English.  A dubious record of contact also...

And the buffoon provided emails where they discussed problems getting a visa.   Cripes.  I'll get a fax of the refusal letter this afternoon for any more tidbits.  Oh!  I didn't do this app *obviously* - they did it themselves.  And now they are shocked.

So unless you have an extreme up-in-yer-face abnormality, DON'T WORRY - JUST GET ON WITH IT!

-----
And P.S. - How many times have I said:  "NO EMAILS"? 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 02:50:19 PM by garry »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab