Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you get Care Packages?  (Read 5564 times)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: Do you get Care Packages?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2003, 12:34:55 PM »
Hey, they taunt me. They want to hurt, maim, and torture me, therefore I must protect myself and kill them every chance I get.

The funny thing is, I can't stand to go near one, so it's always the cruelest deaths.... like death by hair spray, or going down the drain or shoving tissue into the little hole he just went into so he can rot.

Hair spray has to be my favorite since I don't have to go anywhere near them.... plus I don't use my hair spray anymore, so I have to get rid of it somehow.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2003, 04:39:05 PM »
LOL Collington and Ashley we will swap ways to get rid of the spiders.  I'm with you to a T ladies.  Chris and I on vacation.  I huge and I mean HUGE spider on the wall across the room.  I'm already trying to get my feet off the floor! lol  I tell him I'm sleeping here if he doesn't get rid of it.  It was on the wall leading to the bedroom.  He hit it really hard it fell to the floor and I practically jumped over where it landed so I wouldn't walk by it.  This place was a nightmare for spiders.  One night light was on low and a spider was coming from the ceiling to land on the bed.  Don't get me started on the bathroom.  It was unbelievable.  Never will stay there again!  

I have to say this spider thing could have been its on thread!  Its been fun to see all the posts.  I'm glad I'm in such good company on this one.  I have Chris promising me that he will get those electronic things that are supposed to stop bugs from entering.  Messes with their heads.  Did you all see this bug zapper thing.  It sucks the spiders into a holder and you empty the holder in the toilet or outside.  You never have to touch them.  Seems more humane to me?  I'm like Ashley - whatever it takes to get them out.  I also believe like Collington that my house is my domain they need to stay out.

Karen
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 05:02:48 PM »
Kizmet, I am not there yet (as you know)  but I have sent over care packages to Tom...  which he does enjoy...  I also plan on shipping a couple or more of care packages to myself before I move...  with enough of my favorite shampoo's, essence oils and such to last me until I find suitable replacements.  My sister and some friends are always saying they will...but my thought is Not! knowing the price to ship there.  My step mama probably will though...  she is notorious for giving gifts that are best suited as care packages...

As far as screens go...  ummmm!, if I have my way...we will get some...  I hate bugs...  but mostly I have a big fear of spiders... (remind me to tell you about the date from hel- I went on with spiders parachuting from the ceiling) it was like an invasion in the sky...  errrrr!, that just about sent me under...  I swallowed 3 shots of tequila quickly as the date laughed... and I was outta there faster than you could say arachnaphobia... with a drive of 2 hours back home.

I am with collington on this one...  they have all the outdoors to live and be free...  but once you cross my threshold, you are asking for a quick demise...  Except Now!...  obviously a british thing here...  Tom will not allow "death to the spider" and has also promised me that the UK does not have any poisonus ones.  All I can say to that is...  he best always be around when one comes to visit us.

I say here and now...  Let us have Screens!!! Here Here to a screened window!

shel!
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2003, 05:42:44 PM »
Here here here Shel!  I'm with a on this one woman.  I wonder if anyone has thought about marketing screens for windows specifically to Americans.  I bet they'd make a killing!  lol

Karen

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2003, 06:13:23 PM »
Here here here Shel!  I'm with a on this one woman.  I wonder if anyone has thought about marketing screens for windows specifically to Americans.  I bet they'd make a killing!  lol

Karen

Not sure if it is targeted specifically to Americans, but www.lakelandlimited.com has many items/gadgets we are used tol.............including removable flyscreens!  :)

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2003, 07:58:17 PM »
I haven't gotten any care packages yet, but when folks come over to visit they usually bring something with them that we can't get here.  The big ones are Jif creamy peanut butter, and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.  We've found the same products or equivalent of everything else we like to have.  Then again, we aren't into pre-packaged food (like cookies, chips, sweets, etc.) much.

Stephanie

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2003, 08:00:28 PM »
I haven't gotten any care packages yet, but when folks come over to visit they usually bring something with them that we can't get here.  The big ones are Jif creamy peanut butter, and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.  We've found the same products or equivalent of everything else we like to have.  Then again, we aren't into pre-packaged food (like cookies, chips, sweets, etc.) much.

Stephanie

I forgot to add, the other thing that I like that I haven't found here is Lipton Cold Brew Ice Tea bags.  I still have some in my stash from moving over, but will have to pick up some more when we go home for a visit this summer.

Stephanie

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2003, 08:50:58 PM »
Sherry, you better believe I am going to write that website down and look it up.  My fiance is going to try those electronic things that "chase" the bugs away from those rooms the device is in.  Not sure how well they work so I'll bring up that site for sure.

Stephanie, I think you are right.  Eventually I'll make due or find something else that will work.  Oooohhh brewed iced tea! Yummmmmm.  ;D

Thanks everyone for the fun and the advice.  You've proven yet again what a great resource a group of people can be but also how much fun it is to talk here.

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2003, 11:51:23 PM »
I dont use screens on my windows, but at my last house i had a screen for the door.... it wasnt a proper screen door like you get in the US, but it was a curtain-like screen that hung from velcro at the top of the door, and had beads at the bottom to weight it down and keep it from blowing around.

It worked well, but I think the dog ripped it, so i binned it and havent got round to buying another one, ...spose im not that bothered.  I got it from one of those tacky 'Lillian Vernon-type' mail order catalogues that are in some of the Sunday papers.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2003, 10:28:08 PM »
Can I add my 2 cents to this thread even though I'm not in the UK yet..lol?  We get care packages but from England to the US.  My husband's mum sends him some of his favorite English things....ie...mustard...tea bags...candy.  She sends me this great hand lotion which strangely enough is made in Idaho but sold in England..lol.  Can't find it here though.

I'm hoping when we move to England that friends will want to send us care packages.  My family is gone so there isn't any family to send them.  I would gladly send them English items in exchange for any American treats that they send.

Cleacia
Texas

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2003, 10:31:43 PM »
Hi Cleacia, yes you can put your 2 cents in.  I started this thread and I'm american and not yet moved over.  I've sent care packages to my fiance but not gotten any back.  Which is ok.  It's more my nature to do this.  I like to bake so I send cookies etc.  Sometimes little treats for his kids.  I think its a great idea to trade off.  I think I shall do that too Cleacia.  Thanks for the idea.  

karen

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2003, 02:40:05 AM »
First thing, Ashley you are too funny I laughed my butt off  [smiley=laugh4.gif] the spider killing was to funny I use the hairspray too and the best thing is they can't run and hide to get you later( sticks them in there place hahahaha.......)

Kizmet122800 , I know when & if I ever get to the UK to live with my Mark I WILL have screens on my windows and  A screen door if I have to make it myself  ;) and I do agree with Mfredericka about pre sending some of the things I'll want and need most when I go , & I to send Mark things he likes from here now ,  :)(like Oreo cookies & he sends me the tea I love from there :D) I also plan on leaveing a bank account behind for such things so I won't have to have my family pay to send me what I want & need........

Wild  [smiley=daisy.gif]

Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

Thanks Karen :)
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2003, 07:27:31 AM »
I was trying to think if my husband (before we were married) ever sent me things from England.  He did send me tea once but I'm not really a hot tea drinker.  Mostly it was cards or candy or something.  He wasn't big on care packages.  He did like me to send packages though....lol.  His mum sends a lot of things, I guess it's her way of keeping in touch.

I forgot to weigh in on the spider thread....lol.  I leave them alone though I'm not thrilled when they make it into the house...lol.  DH will put them back outside unless our male cat finds them and eats them....lol.  I have spider webs all over my tomato cages outside and I leave them be because they are great organic bug killers....lol.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2003, 05:03:53 PM »
Wild, you had a wonderful suggestion.  I'm not sure I can swing it as I'm getting married and that sure is taking its financial toll.  But I could always leave some money with my parents for a care package or two.  Hope you don't mind if I steal it!  lol Thanks for the suggestions.

Karen

• AZ > Scotland > AZ *together at last!*
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2003, 02:58:29 AM »
I'm extremely lucky that my mom sends me boxes of goodies... peanut butter m&m's, ranch mix and good seasons mix, Nestle's Semi Sweet Choc Chips, Crisco Sticks, US magazines like Prevention, Better Homes & Gardens, Martha Stewart (then she doesn't have to feel guilty about throwing them away...  ;D ).

She spends a small fortune, and it is always fun to receive packages from home.  She usually includes pictures of recent gatherings or events... *trigger*, and I'm very very fortunate.

x
Life is not a dress rehearsal, find your spotlight and don't be upstaged!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab