Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things about The UK you wish you had known  (Read 179262 times)

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
Re: LIST: Things about The UK you wish you had known
« Reply #390 on: September 06, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
I have reusable bags to bring shopping home in.  Reisenthel bags (well made and pretty patterns!  Can't find the ones I have online, but I know I've seen them at The Container Store in the US :) ) and some canvas bags but I'm short (5 foot 2) and when my arms are fully extended holding the handles, they always drag on the ground.   ::)  So they go over my shoulder.   ;D

I got some amazing, really heavy-duty canvas bags when a new Uniqlo store opened in London about two years ago.  :)  I happened to be there when they were giving out free bags (white with Uniqlo and city names all over it in red) and I cheekily got two.  :P  They're really good- besides having a few pomegranate stains (admittedly, white isn't the best colour to use for shopping bags and they were probably intended for clothes shopping) they've held up superbly.  :)

For big shops, DH usually brings his backpack and if it's a really big shop, I do as well.  :)

This is all well and good, but there's no way in hell I'm carrying even ONE shopping bag even ONE block ;) That's the point of the Trolley!
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Liked: 223
« Reply #391 on: September 06, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »
This is all well and good, but there's no way in hell I'm carrying even ONE shopping bag even ONE block ;) That's the point of the Trolley!

Understandable, but reusable bags are easier for us to carry than a trolley since we usually stop by the shop on our way back from work/going out and it's not always practical to bring a trolley with us.  :)  Since our reasons are primarily environmental and convenience, they work out better for us.  :) 

Our goal is to not use plastic bags- we only use them when we forget our reusable bags (about once a month).  :P  And they come in pretty colours and patterns, so they're a bit more stylish than bright orange Sainsbury's bags.  :P
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #392 on: September 06, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »

Exactly! I use shopping bags because I generally drive to do my shopping. But if I were on foot, I'd be sporting this bad boy:
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #393 on: September 06, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
Understandable, but reusable bags are easier for us to carry than a trolley since we usually stop by the shop on our way back from work/going out and it's not always practical to bring a trolley with us.  :)  Since our reasons are primarily environmental and convenience, they work out better for us.  :) 

Our goal is to not use plastic bags- we only use them when we forget our reusable bags (about once a month).  :P  And they come in pretty colours and patterns, so they're a bit more stylish than bright orange Sainsbury's bags.  :P
I do what you do TravelingFrog.  I pretty much carry my backpack every day (now that's *not* very stylish) and I use canvas bags or other recycled bags as well for shopping.  I'd rather have the weight on my back than be pulling something on wheels behind me.  This is why I also prefer backpacks to suitcases.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #394 on: September 06, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

Never said I used plastic bags ;) I also have a large quantity of quality shopping bags, but I don't carry them when full, as I can't. I also don't drive, hardly ever, and I try to make the most of times when I do. 

As far as carrying a backpack all the time, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.  These two herniated discs are from carrying heavy ass backpack/instruments around all the time and in general not being kind to my spine.  Just be careful.
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

• Liked: 223
« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
Never said I used plastic bags ;) I also have a large quantity of quality shopping bags, but I don't carry them when full, as I can't. I also don't drive, hardly ever, and I try to make the most of times when I do. 

Sorry if my post came across wrong- I certainly wasn't accusing anyone of using plastic. I don't really mind what others do- I just try to avoid it myself.  :)

Like Andee said, bags are just easier for us and we've usually got backpacks with us.  :). Plus we've got some dodgy pavement in the mile between our flat and Sainsbury's and a trolley might make it harder.  ::)

To each his own.... I was just throwing in my two bits.  ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 3
« Reply #396 on: September 06, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
I filled up my back pack and cloth carry bags and would drag my stuff home like a pack mule. I hated it so much and my back would be killing me. I also had to go to the grocery store all the time because I couldn't do a big shop. I'm an idiot for never getting a trolley and if I lived there right now I'd get one. The one Chary posted is lovely!

• Snaps
« Reply #397 on: September 07, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
The one Chary posted is lovely!

After I posted that pic, I went into Penzance for a meeting and I actually saw someone with that exact same trolley!!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #398 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »

As far as carrying a backpack all the time, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.  These two herniated discs are from carrying heavy ass backpack/instruments around all the time and in general not being kind to my spine.  Just be careful.
Hmm, never occurred to me I might be causing damage!  I always thought of it as good 'weight bearing exercise'.  I don't have a massive backpack (well, I do, but not for shopping!) but filled up with tins, jars, etc. it can get pretty heavy...
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Liked: 3
« Reply #399 on: September 07, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
I think if you have a good quality backpack it wouldn't be so bad. My backpack would drag down my shoulders and they would be killing me by the time I got home.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #400 on: September 07, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
I just walked home a couple of hours ago laden like a pack mule. I'm here to testify, my back hurts and I know I overdid it. Might have to buy a trolley and see if DH makes good on his threat to divorce me  ::)
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Snaps
« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
I just walked home a couple of hours ago laden like a pack mule. I'm here to testify, my back hurts and I know I overdid it. Might have to buy a trolley and see if DH makes good on his threat to divorce me  ::)

Husband vs trolley. Hmmm ... I'd have to think about that one for a while!  ;)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #402 on: September 07, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
Hmm, never occurred to me I might be causing damage!  I always thought of it as good 'weight bearing exercise'.  I don't have a massive backpack (well, I do, but not for shopping!) but filled up with tins, jars, etc. it can get pretty heavy...
Just trying to wriggle into a heavily laden backpack is not too good for you.  When DH was facing surgery the nurse said no heavy lifting.  He said "Oh that's all right - I'll use my rucksack."  She shook her head and said just putting it on might disturb an incision.  So I imagine it would not be too good on a regular basis for anyone prone to back problems.  (I think it helps though if you have someone to "load" it onto and off your back  ;))
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #403 on: September 08, 2013, 02:50:07 AM »
Sorry if my post came across wrong- I certainly wasn't accusing anyone of using plastic. I don't really mind what others do- I just try to avoid it myself.  :)

Like Andee said, bags are just easier for us and we've usually got backpacks with us.  :). Plus we've got some dodgy pavement in the mile between our flat and Sainsbury's and a trolley might make it harder.  ::)

To each his own.... I was just throwing in my two bits.  ;D

No worries, I've been a bit sensitive lately, so I might have taken it wrong, too.  I am the crunchiest, most environmentally sensitive person I know, with one or two SUPERvegan exceptions.

It never occurred to me either.  Basically, what I've learned since is you need to build up the right muscles to carry that much weight and you need to be carrying it the proper way, otherwise you can do damage.  Now I have a teeny tiny upper body, so my spine wasn't going to be able to bear much load, even if I was ripped [I did dance, work out, and do yoga ALL THE TIME], but if I had done it properly and not all the damned time, I probably wouldn't have these problems :/
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #404 on: September 08, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
I kind of like this one. It's rather Paul Smith-y.  :)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:20:10 PM by Courtney »
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

Sponsored Links