Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving to Scotland, need help!  (Read 944 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving to Scotland, need help!
« on: January 29, 2005, 11:44:35 PM »
Hello,  it is truely exciting to find a website for yankees going to the UK.  I live in the United States right now however in the near future i will be moving to Scotland.  I need to find information on Visas and anyother pertnent information.  I will be moving with my wife so how does that work out.  will she need a visa because she might work as well?  also I will not only be working over there in scotland but building my own business how will that factor in?  This also might be a permenent move so how will that affect the legalistics?  thanks
Jason Methvin

Re: Moving to Scotland, need help!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 02:25:48 AM »
I'm not an expert, there's people here  who know far more than me who could tell you alot more, but yes, your wife will also need a visa, as well as your children if you have any. A good source of information pertaining to the type of visa you would need if you are coming over to the UK to establish a business is britianusa.com.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »
Are either of you British citizens?
When was the last time you visited Scotland?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 09:32:27 AM »
Um, yes, you most definitely need visas to stay here longer than 6 months and to work or look for work at all unless you and/or your wife are UK or EU nationals. 

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 06:23:02 AM »
Thanxs for your input all.
We are not UK nationals but rather US citizens.
I visited Scotland last spring for several weeks and feel that is where I want to live and make my home.  I am wondering just how that will work out?  Basically, God is sending me out to the countries and Scotland is my first stop and probably will most likley be my home.  I am interested in biological research and Lab work.  I have a feeling God will be using me and my talents later in Africa but first step is to Scotland.  thank you again for the input.
Jason

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 07:40:21 AM »
Well, Jason, spirituality aside, unfortunately Scotland's borders are not open to US citizens who feel compelled to move over.  You need a visa to do a/thing besides visit here.  You've got several options:

- Work permit - find an employer willing to sponsor a work visa for either you or your wife.

- HSMP visa

- Student visa - apply to enter university and the student can work part-time; spouse can work full-time. 

Sorry, but it's just not a matter of feeling compelled to move here, so you up and do it.  If that were the case, half the country's population would be American.  You'll have to get a visa before you can settle here.  Best of luck to you. 

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 05:26:50 PM »
Thanxs you are very helpful.
I did not mean to sound uninformed about what I have decided. 
I did understand that I needed to get a visa but I did not know which one.
I want to do this the right way and I wanted to find someone that might have done what I will be doing so that I might be able to follow by example.
Thanxs again,
Jason

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 08:13:52 PM »
Also if you are a religious type person have you thought about Mission work somewhere?  That might be one route if you feel  like moving somewhere.  Good luck!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hi there.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 02:16:03 PM »
If you work in bio research, you should look into the HSMP visa.  Maybe you'll qualify.

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/schemes_and_programmes/hsmp.html?
Liz

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab