Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PETS blood test question  (Read 3505 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
PETS blood test question
« on: February 02, 2005, 07:55:39 PM »
Who here has had a blood test done by KSU and successfully gotten their pet(s) into the UK?

I am confused because I went to the site of the sole approved tester in the US--KSU-- and their little table says that the UK requires an RNATT test, but that KSU is approved only for FAVN testing.  Doesn't this mean that the KSU test would not be acceptable??

The KSU table: http://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/rabies/table.htm

(We're starting the PETS process now.  We're hoping to move in July.  The pets won't be ready by then, so we'll have to find people to watch them for a couple of months.  We've got 2 cats and 1 dog to get ready.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 07:59:11 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

• Liked: 1
Re: PETS blood test question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:06:40 PM »
We had the FAVN by KSU done and moved over here in June so I don't know what to tell you....

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »
The DEFRA site doesn't say anything about what kind of test needs to be done, so I'll just have to assume that the KSU site is inaccurate or that I'm misinterpreting that statement.

It worked for you, so I'll assume it will be okay for us.
Liz

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 08:54:26 PM »
Best to call DEFRA and make sure.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Here Kitty Kitty........... Ouch!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 06:28:29 AM »
The blood test is for Rabies. YOu need your USDA approved vet ( if you can bloody well find one  >:()  to vaccinate your kitties and then to test the kitties and then send the blood sample to a special lab ( ON MARS) after 6 months, apparently - it can take 6 months for the rabies to lurk in the system. Once your furry friend passes they get a certificate ( green I think on special PETS paper) and then you have to travel within 14 days.

And dont forget the micro chip........... I used  Kennel club - otherwise the brits cannot read the chip

I am so fed up with it already, I might just quarantine my little furry friends. >:(

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 01:34:03 PM »
The blood test is for Rabies.

I do get that part.  RNATT and FAVN are two different methods of testing for rabies.  The site of KSU--the sole approved lab in the US--suggests that they do one method while the UK requires the other.

However, there is nothing on the DEFRA site that confirms this or specifies that a specific method needs to be used, so I will check with them and hope that the KSU site is wrong on that issue.

I didn't think you have to travel in 14 days.  My understanding was that once the blood test result comes back you can get the certificate (sans the tick/tapeworm treatment bit), and the certificate is then good from 6 mos after the blood was drawn through either 4 mos after the certificate was drawn up or the date the rabies vaccine expires, whichever is earlier.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 01:38:04 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 03:25:41 PM »
Rules are always changing, so this could always be wrong.  We're expecting our dogs to come over in March.  They had the FAVN test done and European AVID microchips put in.  But I don't think we'll truly believe they can enter the country until they're through customs at the airport.
Dr. Steve

***The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step***

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 07:53:28 PM »
Formica I would still double check with DEFRA and do let us know.  I used KSU and they are the only ones on the DEFRA site listed so I don't see how they can reject the titer tests.... 

I have a feeling that what has happened is perhaps some confusion as a result of new EU legislation, but who knows... ::)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hi there.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 09:33:07 PM »
I'm now quite sure that I misinterpreted the table the first time.  I looked at it again and now think that FAVN is a type of RNATT.  I didn't look very carefully at the other rows before, but I now see that they do RFFIT and FAVN, both of which are types of RNATT.  The statement that worried me seems to be saying that for the UK, a FAVN (rather than RFFIT) must be done.
Liz

Sponsored Links