Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How does one keep from feeling overwhelmed?  (Read 5750 times)

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: How does one keep from feeling overwhelmed?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 08:44:08 PM »
Hi Cleacia, I am Michele or Shel here...

I just thought I would let you know that I just went through all of the selling off everything and just shipping boxes.  I still have some boxes to ship, but the majority is gone.

I too am very big at making lists...  especially a 3 page list of contents of boxes; when shipped, how shipped, amt. of insurance for each and date arrived.

It is overwhelmng to say the least.  took me about 1 month after giving up my house and selling everything I own before I began to settle down again...  I still have some small panick attacks...  but I get through them ok...  

Unfortunately, my DF is not over in the states with me...  so not having anyone for support or help through out my move made my anxieties a lot worse... I cried and actually said a speech of goodbye to all my antique furniture that I had for so long...  and especially my bed...  gawd I miss that bed.  

After all the turmoil, I can now sit back and work on my wedding in November without worry about the moving issue anymore...  

Lists are a very good thing...  and yes, they help the time go by quicker as you check each thing off...  I am sure I moved a bit too early, but in the long run, I am very happy I did so...one less stress to deal with...  now I can count the days until November 8th.  [smiley=love.gif]

shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2003, 11:32:21 PM »
Ok I'm late on this thread, as usual.  Sorry.  But Cleacia I didn't see anything here about your cats going into quarantine.  I had two cats and had to find a home for one as I moved into my parents home (they had one too).  I was downsizing from an apartment to one room.  My other cat will have to stay with Mom/Dad.  I found that you had to put the cats in quarantine for 6 months.  Pay to ship them over and their upkeep in quarantine.  You could only visit once a week!  I found this too disruptive to my cat who is already 8 yrs old.  Did you know about the quarantine?  

Karen
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

Kcg and Kizmet
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 10:20:57 PM »
We had heard of the pets scheme and are looking into that.  

When my husband and I married in 2000, we decided against moving to England then because I couldn't stand the thought of my cat (we only had one then) going into such a long quaruntine.  However, a couple of months ago we heard that had been lifted and now pets only had to stay for a few days to a couple of weeks.  We are hoping to sit down this weekend and really look at the defra site and see what all has to be done.  We have 2 cats now and wouldn't leave them here in the States.  They would have to go with us but hopefully, we will be able to avoid the 6 months of quaruntine.

Cleacia
Texas

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2003, 10:26:36 PM »
Thanks for telling me about the changes in restrictions.  Obviously I had no clue.  But the decision has been made for me. I'll miss my cat terribly.  But my fiance and I have decided we wanted to travel alot on little weekends.  If I could not find a place for her, I would have taken her.  But she is settled at home now.  She doesn't take change all that well.  So I think this is best.  I'm glad Cleacia that you have a different option.  Kcg wish I had talked to you nearly a year ago.  

This is more upsetting than I could have thought.  

Kizmet
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2003, 10:38:48 PM »
Whether to leave pets or take them is never an easy decision unfortunately.  Believe me, I still have my doubts if this is really the best option for our female cat (who is 14 yrs old).  My family is all deceased and there are no friends that I would trust to take her, if they even wanted her.  Finding a home with a stranger is not an option.  So, that means either staying here in the States until she passes or taking her with us (along with our boy cat who is just 2 yrs old).  Our Vet has assured us with continued Vet wellness check ups that she should be just fine to take to England.  I was worried how her age would effect her traveling and he said she should be fine.  Luckily, she does seem to adjust well to changes.  Now if something changes and the cats do have to go into quaruntine for 6 months, then that would effect our decision.  I've read that they go to a kennel/boarding place and you can visit as often as you want and they stay no more than a few days to a week.  No worse than if we boarded them at the Vet.  I think the worse part will be the plane ride and my anxiety over them being out of my sight...lol.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2003, 10:58:12 PM »
Awww Cleacia, I'm so glad you have this option.  Unfortunately its out of my hands now.  I think in the long run this will be best for my cat.  It will mean a bit of a harder adjustment for me.  She's been with me for ever and helped me when I moved before.  Guess I'll just have to cling to my soon to be husband more.  

Good luck deciding.  

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2003, 11:51:04 PM »
http://www.uk-yankee.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=mov;action=display;num=1036177903

The above link is for the disussion on PETS.  We got the HomeAgain chip in our 15 year old cat, the chihuahua and the cavalier.

It is readable with the UK scanners and every day there are more and more routes that are approved which means NO QUARANTINE at all if you follow the procedures.  

Every so often I post updates on the link as my animals are my children for now.

We did not move to the UK two years ago in part due to our animals too.

Now we can.

On another note...I have travelled all over with elderly cats and they do just fine.  They do better than most people do.  :) The one that past last year was 18 and moved at 13 and 16 and was happy as a clam. Of course some cats just are plain stubborn and don't want to adapt.

Just remember that if they are outdoor suburb cats that throwing them in the outdoors in the UK might not be the best idea.  Mine have all been indoor or fenced yard delcawed pound kitty rescues so I can't let them out.

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2003, 12:08:21 AM »
Vnicepeeps, I had to move my cat for one day.  Fumigating my apartment.  She stayed under the bed and growled at everyone or even if the bed covers moved.  She even growled at me.  I've never traveled more than a mile or so with her in the car.  I don't think she has the personality for such a large move.  But thanks for the info.  I wish I had seen it before.   I'm lucky to have such good support from my parents that they will gladly take her in.  She has finally started accepting them as well.  It would be to hard on her.  Perhaps its not her age that has her crotchety about change.  Perhaps its just her makeup.  She doesn't like it.  As I said though I'm lucky I have such a great alternative.  Its not just the best I could do, its what will work out best for the cat.  Thanks again.

Karen

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2003, 01:03:18 AM »
It's like I said some cats are like, "no I am not moving from here!  No way....no how..."

If she had been driving around and moved before it might not be so bad....

I had a cat once that was like that....actually the one I have now is the meanest of the bunch...

My parents had to take all three of mine for a while when I was at the dorm again... so I can understand. :)

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2003, 01:20:44 AM »
Kizmet;
It does seem like this has been a hard decision for you.  You are doing what you feel is right for you and your cat.  And like you mentioned, you have a soon to be new spouse that will help with the adjustment :).
Cleacia
Texas

Vnicepeeps
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2003, 01:26:40 AM »
Thanks for the link :).

My little Abby (she's 14 yrs old) has been thru a couple of moves and does really well.  She also does ok when I have to board her when we go to England for visits.  Barton our youngest cat (named after where my husband comes from...lol) has only had one move but has been boarded.  I think they will both adapt well.  Sure the flight will be scary for them, as it is for me but once on firm ground, we'll all be ok...lol.

Our cats are indoor cats and will be that way in England.  An advantage there will be hopefully a house with a conservatory which I think they would love since they love to look out the windows.

Cleacia
Texas

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2003, 01:43:58 AM »
ooooooooooooooo a conservatory......

would love one of those....

Gosh I have not even got a date to move yet or any idea how I will do it and I already have the animals done and am ready to get the rabies shots early so we can have the certificate issued just in case.

I figure I will just leave most things here.  Will be stressed later on!

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2003, 01:53:15 AM »
You know what...lol?  I don't have much else on my list that gets as much attention as getting the cats sorted out...lol.  I figure no sense moving forward until I know that the cats can come and that they will be taken care of while in quaruntine..lol.

Our house is the next thing in the list....we need to sell it but that may take time.
Cleacia

kcg
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2003, 01:16:27 AM »
That sounds like a good plan :).  If we had someone to leave our cats with, then we would go over first and find a place to live before bringing them over.  You're fortunate to have that option :).  
Cleacia
Texas

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2003, 08:37:37 PM »

There's so many steps and you don't want to be over there with the poor cat and dog in a box and THEN find out you missed a step in getting them there correctly.

Exactly!  The way I see it, is any of the material things are replaceable if something goes wrong there but the pets aren't.  In the end, things will work out :).  It's a lot ot get orgainzed but it will all be worth it:).
Cleacia
Texas

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab