Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Immigration and connecting flights  (Read 1575 times)

• Liked: 0
Immigration and connecting flights
« on: February 03, 2005, 11:21:51 AM »
Maybe I have nothing to worry about, but in 5 days I'll be taking a one-way connecting flight with Aer Lingus airlines from Chicago to Dublin then on to Edinburgh. Has anyone here ever taken this flight and would there be a problem with immigration in Ireland? I'm perfectly legal to marry, I have my VAF2 visa but my fiance will be meeting me in Edinburgh. If they decided to question me in Dublin he wouldn't be there. :-\\\\

Re: Immigration and connecting flights
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:25:04 AM »
I have flown from NY to Dublin to Manchester (though on the visa waiver system).  I told Irish immigration I was taking a connecting flight to England.  Once they stamped my passport with a 3 month Ireland stamp and once they stamped it with "in transit to UK" stamp.  Either way there were no problems and they didn't even bat an eyelid at me.  I'm sure they get it all the time.  Flights through Ireland can be cheaper from the US to the UK and I'm sure people do it all the time.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 11:31:42 AM »
You shouldn't even have to go through immigration in Dublin.  You'll never leave the terminal area. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 11:38:25 AM »
Sorry, I just re-read the original post and saw she wrote connecting flight- I had switched from Aer Lingus to Easy Jet, which was why I had to go through immigration.   :)

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 11:42:06 AM »
What about the card you have to fill out while you're in flight? Will I have to show it to anyone there or do I keep it till I hit Edinburgh?

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 11:53:14 AM »
You'll surrender your landing card upon entry to the UK. Im sure you wont have a problem :)

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 12:09:33 PM »
a.f.a.i.k., your Dublin to Edinburgh flight will be treated as an internal flight (passports are not needed for this route and there's no immigration control for passengers when they get to Edinburgh), so you'll need to pass through immigration in Dublin.  If your UK paperwork's in order I'm sure you'll breeze through;  it won't be the first time someone's followed this route on this Visa, even though it is for you. I'm just posting this as some of the other answers might imply something different in the procedure.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
You will have to pass through immigration in Dublin. I have done it many times asa visitor with no hitches. If you have a visa there should be no issues. I have heard visitors getting denied or questioned in the past, but as I said, it's easy and you'll be on your way to Edinburgh in no time whatsoever :)

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 01:01:56 PM »
I wish I had known about this airline  all the other times I've been to the UK..I could of saved alot of money and my fiance driving time. Last time I was over he met me in Manchester and it was a 5 hour trip :-\\\\ I had to stay awake and read the map to him ::) It felt like we were driving in circles trying to get out of the airport too!

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 07:19:30 PM »
Best of luck on your journey Kay!

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 01:47:52 AM »
Would it be wise for me to bring all our documents  in my carry on bag or no? I'd rather have them on me if needed .

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 07:11:38 AM »
The only document you're going to need is your passport with that fiancee visa in it.  Trust me, Kay...you've got nothing to worry about!  :)

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 01:14:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support through all this. My flight out of O'Hare leaves tomorrow and I'm so happy and excited! I hope I can sleep my last night here in my flat! (which is tonight!) ;D

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 01:40:38 PM »
Just a slight hijack, if Icelandair flies to your airport you can get to Glasgow, Manchester, London and other UK airports via Reykjavik for really cheap prices.  I know the Baltimore to Heathrow route is consistently the cheapest flight available.  The Aer Lingus flights I've looked at for the same route (except connecting in Dublin/Shannon, of course) are usually quite a bit more expensive.  The only downside is Icelandair only flies to about 6 or 7 US cities.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 01:51:41 PM »
Mine was a one-way flight to Dublin then to Edinburgh, it was only $325 and I thought that was pretty darn cheap. :) I don't know how much a round trip would be though.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab