Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Has anyone noticed?  (Read 1862 times)

Has anyone noticed?
« on: June 19, 2003, 12:37:52 AM »
lol well this could be the wrong place for this post but it'll get cut and spliced if it is ;)

Has anyone noticed, or has anyone else got bookshops with coffee places within them? What do you think of the idea? And this leads me on to the next part of this subject and the real reason for me starting it.  Elle and I were walking down Ilford town centre the other day, just after we moved in and we saw a coffee place (costa coffee) but it was attached to a bank!! Weird....  Has anyone else seen anything similar, or anything as equally as odd.  Elle said she hadn't seen anything like that in the states.

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: Has anyone noticed?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 02:09:31 AM »
in the US  we have barnes and nobles and there is a coffee shop inside the bookstore..i think it is a great idea becz you can relax and choose a book and look it over while drinking coffee...

there are a couple of them here in eastbourne also...we have costa as well...think its a great idea....
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 03:48:58 PM »
Yeah, Leeds has a bank with a Costa in it. It's weird. Whats even weirder is that it's always packed.

I don't know about you, but I don't see the point in that. I mean, would you find the bank relaxing enough to sit down with a cuppa joe? I can understand Barnes & Nobel, you can read books you're supposed to be buying and sip your chai tea latte. But a bank? Riiiight.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 11:38:43 PM »
I agree, I'm not really sure who had the idea and how they came up with it.  Was it some bank manager who said "You know, this would be going so much better if we had coffee and talked about me forclosing on a customers mortgage!" Or was it a guy in the coffee shop who said "Hmmm, the coffee could use some good banking as well as a cookie!"

But when you see what england is like with many things that it does, you have to wonder if anything really makes any sense anymore.....

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 11:52:23 PM »

But when you see what england is like with many things that it does, you have to wonder if anything really makes any sense anymore.....

Hee hee hee... this makes me think of something I've said to Jon once. I said "you know, I don't know if it's the fact that the country is smaller and therefore more compact, but I have never seen so many freakish things in all my life as I have in Leeds."

And it's true, it's like freak show here.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 12:00:42 AM »
And it's true, it's like freak show here.  ;)

Have you been to London yet? lol ::)

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 12:04:06 AM »
It makes me wonder what combinations they have left for us to see. Will they be having manicurists and cinnabon?  Will they have colonic irrigation and the fish mongers? lol  ::)  You know what I mean?  why not go the whole hog and set up the local doctors as a double glazing sales outlet too?  Then we can buy some double glazing while waiting to be seen.....

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 05:02:31 PM »

Have you been to London yet? lol ::)

Yes indeedy... {{shudder}}

It makes me wonder what combinations they have left for us to see. Will they be having manicurists and cinnabon?  Will they have colonic irrigation and the fish mongers? lol    You know what I mean?  why not go the whole hog and set up the local doctors as a double glazing sales outlet too?  Then we can buy some double glazing while waiting to be seen.....

LOL... I can't tell you how many times I've thought about double glazing while waiting for my GP. Man o man, whoever does that would make a killing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 05:03:06 PM by Ashley »

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 11:26:24 PM »
I know I can't believe they've not done that yet!! lol  It's only a matter of time before some cunning person goes to their doctor and puts it to them while asked to drop em' and cough!

And this is the post that takes me into the 500's!! Yay!!  :o

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 01:58:39 AM »
David and I were wandering about in Beckenham awhile back, and there was an old bank building.  I'm unsure whether or not the two are partitioned off, but quite clearly half of the building was a wine bar and the other half a bank.  All we could think of was that "They've turned my bank into a trendy wine bar" commercial.

Much lol
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Hiya
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 02:47:21 AM »
when i visited my brother in north carolina a year or two ago i drove by an interesting combination.  they had a laudromat with a bar in it.  i believe it was called sud's and buds or something like that ;D

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 02:22:56 PM »
The bank and coffee thing is sooo odd!!  There is one in Kingston.  My hubby and i went in to do some banking at stopped to get a coffee for the long wait in the queue (reasonable, I thought).  Well, they wouldn't let us take it in to the banking area!!  I asked them what the point was then.  They said it was good for the coffee shop as it brought people in, but the bank manager was tired of getting the carpets cleaned!!!!

Anyway, coffee and book shops are fab!!  There is a Borders with a Starbucks in Kingston and a few more in central london.  Too bad there aren't smaller chains doing it as well-- i have only ever seen it in Borders.

Kat
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 03:40:03 PM »
 A coffee shop inside a bank,that is very strange indeed :o

I dont think that would do as well in the states,with all the drive through windows huh??

Im intertested to see how many things have changed since we lived in the UK last.Hubby will be a but more shocked I think,esp in Stockton.He has already noted a few things just online ;)

Sponsored Links