Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancee visa questions: panic is setting in......  (Read 836 times)

• Liked: 0
Fiancee visa questions: panic is setting in......
« on: February 04, 2005, 02:37:13 PM »
I completed the visa fast track application a couple of weeks ago.  Since then I have found out that I am getting a nice tax refund, which will be in my bank account prior to me actually sending all the documentation in.  It will make my bank balance much healthier (thank goodness) than I stated on the application.  Should I write a letter and attach to the bank statements the difference in what I wrote on the application and what is actually there?  Should I not bother since my bank balance is actually healthier so it is positive? 
Also my fiance has an overdraft- his father and my mother are co-sponsoring us, and as stated above my bank balance is larger, so will this make a difference?  His father has offered to give him money to pay off the overdraft prior to us applying (I plan to send everything off in about 10 days or so to the NY consulate).  Will this be helpful?  Financially I will have about $4000+, his dad is willing to pay off his overdraft and give him about 2000 pounds.  His dad is pledging 500 pounds per month and my mother is pledging $1500 per month.  Does this seem like enough money?  Both of our parents have stated in their letters additional funds would be available if necessary.  Fiance has a full time job but he just started last week and is paid monthly on the last Friday of the month.  The job is also rather poorly paid, but is only temporary until he finds something better.
Should the co-sponsor letters from my mother/his father be notarized?
Finally I own a home in the US that is currently being sold.  I am making very good money off of it, but the sale won't go through until well after we apply for the visa- would a letter written regarding the house sale matter?  It is being sold privately, so there are no real estate agents involved.  We have tentatively booked our wedding in Scotland for March 10, so technically I will only be on the fiance visa for a couple of weeks.  I have a degree in social work and in looking on several different council websites think that I will be able to find a job rather quickly.   Thanks in advance for the help- I am really panicking even though I know our application is pretty straightforward.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 02:41:18 PM by cookie70 »

Re: Fiancee visa questions: panic is setting in......
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
You really don't need all that much money in either of your accounts, especially if your fiance is working, can provide 3-6 months worth of pay stubs, and a letter from his employer stating that he's working full time. My fiance probably makes well under what most people's husbands/fiance's from this forum make and I recieved the visa with no problem. We didn't have all that much money in our accounts either. The impression I got was that they just want to know if he can provide for you for 6 months, have proof of acommodation and proof you have a real relationship. I think the part about proving you have a real relationship is more important to them than showing them you or your fiance have money coming out of your ears. :)  I really don't think over drafts matter as long as he's been good about taking care of them.  You said his dad is pledging 500 pounds per month and your mother $1500?? You won't need that much support  unless you're used to a higher standard of living. By what you said about the money you make, the money you'll have from selling your house and what you will have in your account you shouldn't even need to worry about having a co-sponsor. sounds like you'll be just fine! :)

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »
I had been trying to figure out how much specifically was "enough" and couldn't find any solid figures.  From reading the posts on this board, I am sure that the panic and worry I am feeling now is very normal.  I just can't wait to get it over and be the one advising instead of asking!   :)

• Twitter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 12:03:31 PM »
You should be fine although having a co-sponser NEVER is looked down upon. It can only help. If you do decided to use them, I wouldn't put actual details of how much they'll supply since it is more than the consulate needs to know. In my opinion, mentioning amounts might hurt and your situation sounds like a no brainer for them to issue a visa so giving more than you need to know is not necessary.

Don't worry! You'll be fine :) Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 02:44:41 PM »
Thanks Hauntedmansion13- I am going to have the co-sponsor letters re-written to not put actual amounts.  I like your tag line on the bottom of your posts- that's exactly the way I feel......the amount of stress and panic I am feeling is not only making me physically ill, but driving my fiance bonkers.  I know logically we are straightforward- been together 2 years, spent time living together in UK last year, very supportive family to help us out, etc etc, but have had some trouble with the US side of things and so that is causing the stress I think.  Just want it all over and done with and able to live a nice, boring life together.   :)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 02:00:09 AM »
My cosponsor's letter showed an actual amount, in addition to a copy of her bank statement, which proved that she could actually afford to give me the amount she promised.

You might get away with a cosponsor saying they will give you whatever money you need, rather than an actual amount, but they are going to have to back it up with a bank statement. If you feel that you and your fiance have enough money on your own, and don't need a cosponsor, then don't use one. But if you do use a cosponsor, they are going to have to be able to back up their claim that they can help support you financially. The Consulate is going to want to see dollars/pounds, not just a vague statement that your cosponsor wants to help.

I don't understand why mentioning amounts would hurt. All that could happen is that the person applying would be told it's not enough money (which I don't think is going to happen in your case). But in a case where the cosponsor really wasn't offering enough money, and the applicant didn't mention the amount, the Consulate wouldn't just automatically approve the visa because they didn't know how much money the cosponsor was offering.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 02:08:24 AM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 12:21:26 PM »
I really don't think the amount of money required for support is as high as most people think, but then I think they concider each case differently. What my fiance and I had in our accounts combined wasn't even close to some of the figures I've seen stated here in this forum and I still got my visa. I don't know if it was the fact his sister owns the flat but is living elsewhere or the fact that he's working but whatever it was they were just fine with it. It could also depend on the area where you'll be living and the cost of living there, that could make a big difference whether they think you could live on an X amount of money. If we lived in Edinburgh instead of Thornton we may have needed to show them alot more in our accounts. Also if either of you have children that would raise the amount.
Cookie, don't worry! I know it's easier said than done but it's painless..really! You'll get that visa and soon be starting your new life with your hunny :) Are you going in for an interview at the Consulate or mailing everything in? If you decide to mail it in just make sure you have all your documents etc and if everything is in order and straight foward you should have your answer in a matter of days and your visa the same week. I got a call from them about the accomodation document they needed that I couldn't provide at the time because his sister had just closed the deal on the flat but they accepted a statement from her bank saying she bought it and she faxed it in to them the next day and they told me I was approved :) They were soo nice at the Chicago Consulate and very helpful with the questions I had.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 12:40:07 PM »
Both my mother and his dad have given us 3 months worth of bank statements each, proving they both have the money to sponsor me.  I am using co-sponsors because fiance has just started a full time job and also has an overdraft.  It is being paid by the time I submit it, but only just and obviously his bank statements will show it.  I only have $4000 in savings due to a large tax refund, otherwise I'd have significantly less.  I think having the co-sponsors can only be beneficial and both are able and willing to prove they have the money to co-sponsor me.  We will be living in northern Lancashire.
I will be submitting it all in to NYC via mail as soon as his stuff arrives, probably a week from Monday (Valentine's Day).  If all goes well, we plan to be married in Edinburgh on March 10.  Thanks for all the help and support, it is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:47:58 PM by cookie70 »

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 01:07:17 PM »
I know it's hard not to worry about these things, even if you know you have everything they want . I was a wreck before I got approved and I still worry about things like will they stop me still when I enter the country and question me further, or will I be approved for my FLR after we're married, there's no reason they shouldn't but I do tend to worry alot about things that I needn't worry about. ::)

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
I'm the same way- I worry about everything all the time!  It is my biggest fault and one which I wish I could get rid of as I tend to stress myself and my fiance out.  When we are together he can calm me down, but when we are apart it is more difficult.  Don't worry about not being able to enter- if you have a visa they will not turn you away.  When I was on a student visa I worried every time I left the country but never once had a problem when returning.

Sponsored Links