Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A Question About "Council Houses"  (Read 836 times)

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
  • Liked: 0
A Question About "Council Houses"
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
Alrighty, so here I am, happily married to the reason I breathe, and - even better - I'm allowed to live with him because - YAY - I was successful in getting that all important spousal visa (again YAY...some of you have read and followed my story...so, you know).   The thing is, we really need a place of our own to live instead of sharing a house, which is what we are having to do right now (it sucks big time).  Anyway, my husband and I both know that we are entitled to NO benefits, including housing benefits...but, what we are curious about is, does this include "council houses"?  My DH is under the impression that council houses are not classified as a "housing benefit"...but, obviously, before he signs us up on the waiting list, we need to know for sure!

A council house is a house that is owned by the district council - where we are it is the Charnwood Borough Council - and they rent them out - for less than what rent is like say from a leasing agency, but you have to go on a waiting list for them...

So, anyway...anyone (Garry, again, this means you  ;D) know if this is a problem or not?  Can we get on the list or not???

HELP!!

Ta,

Autumn
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

Re: A Question About "Council Houses"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 08:48:06 PM »
Your husband can receive benefit, but you can't.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 09:04:27 PM »
I know the answer to this, b/c I lived in my husband's council flat with him when I first moved here.  Your husband is entitled to apply for and take up tenancy in a council flat.  He's even allowed to claim housing benefit.  So long as he shows BOTH your combined incomes on the application and takes them in his name, he's legally entitled to it.  If he doesn't qualify for housing benefit, he can still take up tenancy in a council flat - he'd just pay full rent on it.  A council property is not in and of itself a benefit. 

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »
Yep -- what expat said!   ;)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 02:59:54 PM »
Just a comment. I'm sure every locality is different, but my understanding is that there is quite a long waiting list to get into council housing (could take years in some places). So it's fine to put your name on the list for the future, but if you really want to get your own place right away, you should probably just start saving up to be able to pay the rent on a small flat.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 03:15:47 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 03:15:29 PM »
So, anyway...anyone (Garry, again, this means you  ;D) know if this is a problem or not?  Can we get on the list or not???

expat nailed it down for you  ;D  With the caveat that you could be well in to ILR before you get in.  If I were you, I would bash on and not worry about it...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab