Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Move to limit economic migration  (Read 1126 times)

• Liked: 0
Move to limit economic migration
« on: February 06, 2005, 03:22:48 PM »
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1273448.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

Feb. 6, 2005

"Home Secretary Charles Clarke... will publish a five-year blueprint for immigration and asylum which is expected to include a major curbing of immigrants' rights to settle permanently in Britain.  The plan could involve blocking permanent entry for all but skilled professionals."

Re: Move to limit economic migration
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 05:34:48 PM »
I do actually understand the need to control migration, but surely this couldn't put limitations on people who come in to be with an English spouse.... I find this a bit scary and more than a bit extreme.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 05:37:25 PM »
I assume visas for spouses are not part of this issue.

Jim

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »
We'll get the details on Monday. It won't involve spouses, but it will certainly affect anyone who is trying to come here for work. Clarke is apparently basing on a system created by that racist troglodyte Howard of Australia. If that's the case, it will probably break down according to ethnicity and education. Of course, there's absolutely no data to suggest that migrants actually rely on state welfare mroe than natives and much data to suggest that they actually generate more GNP than natives do. This is policy that anyone in the Labour party ought to be deeply, deeply ashamed to pass by their lips. It's a sign of how degraded the party has become under Blair.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 06:03:34 PM by lightbulb »

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »
This is policy that anyone in the Labour party ought to be deeply, deeply ashamed to pass by their lips. It's a sign of how degraded the party has become under Blair.

Completely. It's very sad....

• Life not only begins at 40, it begins to show.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 07:31:21 PM »
OMG! I hope that doesn't mean I have to find a Brit to marry me!!! I don't wanna go home, Ma!!  ;D

Joke aside, in recent years, the UK was quite "lucky" as most asylum seekers would settle on the continent. Only since most of the other countries have reached their limits, it's England that has to take over a piece of the pie as well. I find this reaction a bit hysterical ... on the other hand, I'm not sure if it's such a good idea to have so many Eastern European countries become members of the EU while they barely meet the economical entry criterias. The first thing people would understandably do is take advantage of the freedom to travel elsewhere in order to improve their quality of life.
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." — Kurt Cobain

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 08:33:30 PM »
I assume visas for spouses are not part of this issue.

Yes, they plan to put an annual cap on the family reunion migration paths.   I was just speaking to a Conservative MP candidate about it on the telephone, and he confirmed that both sides have the same view about it.  However, neither side has come forward with explicit details about what "family reunion" means.

Michael Howard thinks he has the answer in quotas for work permits, asylum seekers and family reunions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3682702.stm

*BUT* if they start meddling about with families, it will almost certainly be put to a national consultation.  Hopefully, they will back off on it before that happens...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 08:38:03 PM by garry »

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 09:09:44 PM »
Thanks Garry.  I can't keep up with your abbreviations, but your inside knowledge of this subject is priceless.

FWIW, tonight's BBC1 news reported that the Labour version of this effort will not restrict spouses or children, just extended families.

Jim
(American, applying for UK residency next month; nobody in tandem with me)

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 09:27:03 PM »
FWIW, tonight's BBC1 news reported that the Labour version of this effort will not restrict spouses or children, just extended families.

Yes, I can see it now:  38. British citizens and those settled here should be allowed to be joined by their spouses or fiancé(e)s. Those allowed to settle may also bring immediate family (spouses and children

-- complete text at http://www.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm64/6472/6472.pdf

It's quite an opus!  We'll have to see what the Conservatives do in response.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 09:39:40 PM »

Hi Garry...I agree.....thanks so much for keeping us abreast of the latest...your inside knowledge is so helpful to us on this site!!!  ;)

Julie

Sponsored Links