Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I've looked and looked, now I'm just stumped!! HELP!  (Read 1172 times)

• child is a precious miracle
  • Liked: 0
I've looked and looked, now I'm just stumped!! HELP!
« on: February 07, 2005, 04:20:57 PM »
Helloooo everyone, it's been a while since i've been on, or at least since I posted.
I have a bit of a dilema, and I recall reading something about moving companies etc. can even recall cascode saying about something....but...for the life of me, I am having horrible luck with moving companies so far, and I'm moving march 1st!!!!!
I can't settle on a quote, because, well, i've only been given one option, as none of the other moving companies that we've tried to get into contact with have returned our calls.
It's very frustrating, because the one company that has responded, wants nearly as much money to move very little, as I spent to move my whole house just this past august!!!!
we only have a couple beds/ mattresses, couple chairs, and about 15-20 boxes.....why does this have to be so expensive? Does anyone have any ideas?
(btw we're moving uk to usa)
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks!!!!
Wife to Karl, mother of 3
back in the USA to stay
http://mathews.me.uk

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: I've looked and looked, now I'm just stumped!! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 04:27:34 PM »
We got a few quotes moving UK to USA and were *shocked* at how expensive it was as well. In the end I ended up shipping over a few boxes with Parcelforce (check out their website for their package details) and we brought over 6 suitcases with us when we moved - left all the big stuff behind. It was really hard to do, but we just didn't have the money to move everything. A lot of it is still at my mother in law's house and when we go to visit this spring we'll ship a few more boxes with parcel force (or DHL) and do the suitcase thing again.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Here Kitty Kitty........... Ouch!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 06:24:08 AM »
I used pickfords to move from Shanghai to LA, and I will use them again to move from LA back to UK.

I know pickfords has a depot in Croydon Surrey ( south London ) maybe they are a little cheaper.

Or you could try a business freight company.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 09:28:37 AM »
Pickford's is ther same as Allied International right? 

I'm looking for some moving recommendations as well (for October) moving from Boston to the UK.
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 09:35:15 AM »
ASK questions of the COMPANY on the whole.  I knew someone who booked with a mover -- and the company went into receivership.  Normally stuff moving to the UK from the UK can take up to 3 months --- 5 months LATER -- the stuff arrived.

Best of luck!

• Here Kitty Kitty........... Ouch!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 06:45:58 AM »
Yes Pickfords is the same as allied.

Read the forum posts - what I should NOT HAVE BROUGHT, maybe you can get those boxes down 10 or so.

I am thinking about it , downsizing - I wanted to bring my Beautiful Kitchen AId mixer - but now I am thinking I am just a lunatic.
hehe

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 07:39:40 PM »
We've got some items of furnature which were Jenni's grandparent's, a small table and two chairs, a rocking chair, a small cabinet and a hope chest that we're defintly shipping. Trying to downsize everything else.

Sponsored Links