Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Washington ... Guernsey ... MANCHESTER  (Read 718 times)

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
Washington ... Guernsey ... MANCHESTER
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:17:10 PM »
Should I be posting a travelogue this week?  I'm in Manchester for 3 days to run a training course; drove up here along roads getting progessively busier. I started so early that I picked up a fox in my headlights near home, and arrived sandwiched between commuter cars to my left and right, head and tail.

Manchester grew in Victorian times as an inland port, with cotton from around the world arriving for working in the mills, and it was as late as 1900 (I think) that it became a city.  And what a city - magnificent buildings (though many sadly lost and replaced) including the great arch of the aptly named Victoria station, just across the road from the building I'm in.

I'm probably not going to get a chance to sightsee this week, but I recall running a course near here last year and taking in the docks in Salford, the new art gallery down there, the original London Road station (where the first mainline steam passenger railway in the world, to Liverpool, ran from), Chinatown, and on spec walking in (and getting seats for) Miss Saigon. We sometimes forget what magnificence and beauty we have close to home - I expect that some of you reading this may be doing so from within 50 miles of me, yet you might not have seen all the sights I talk about.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• AAGGGHH!
Re: Washington ... Guernsey ... MANCHESTER
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:59:59 PM »
If you find out that you do get to go sightseeing, you should definitely post some of those pics.  I've always wanted to go to Manchester.  I heard it was a beautiful town. 

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 07:33:35 PM »
If you find out that you do get to go sightseeing, you should definitely post some of those pics.  I've always wanted to go to Manchester.  I heard it was a beautiful town. 

In winter, and in these Northern parts, days are short. It's still just dawn when I arrive where I'm working and I don't leave until it's dark again.  But I did grab a few somewhat dull pictures of the Manchester scene and skyline as I walked across this morning ... before I discovered that I don't have my "camera to computer" cable here.  So it'll have to be pictures on Saturday.

You're right that Manchester has a beauty - but perhaps not quite the same classic beauty of Edinburgh, Bath or London.  With apologies, though, I do put it streets ahead of Peterborough, Stevenage, Skelmersdale, Cumbernauld and hundreds of other towns. It's very Victorian in parts, some of which are crumbling and others have, of recent years, been lovingly and lavishly restored.  In amongst these older buildings are more modern ones - some of which are monstrosities from the 1960s, but others of which have great architectural merit or are spectacular pieces of engineering in spite of their vintage. And then you have the Arndale, build in the 1960s, ransacked by an IRA bomb in 1996, and now modern and re-opened.
-- Graham

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 08:04:15 PM »
Gosh, I really need to read up on some more English history.  (maybe after grad school, keeps me quite busy)  I would still love to see the pics when you get to your camera to computer thing (adapter?, I'm not really PC intelligent) 

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »
Illustrations from a foggy ole town last Tuesday morning ...

-- Graham

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 06:00:53 PM »
From Manchester, on over the Pennines - the mountain range that runs up the country like a spine - past Leeds and on to York for work on Thursday and Friday.  York is a beautiful walled town from Norman times (1066 and all that) with much of the wall and gates still complete.  Add to that the Minster church, the Yorvic centre, the river through the City and the National Railway Museum and you have a tourist "honeypot".   Alas, work took me not into the centre, but to an industrial estate on the outskirts, and the evening was taken up with meeting up with friends I had previously taught ... so there's no pictures for me to offer  :(

Tomorrow ... driving to Munich ... and later in the week I'll be in Oxford;  what a diverse few weeks this is turning out to be.
-- Graham

Sponsored Links