Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: usda approved vets - for PETS scheme  (Read 3031 times)

• Here Kitty Kitty........... Ouch!
  • Liked: 0
usda approved vets - for PETS scheme
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:21:05 AM »
 ??? Hi there - has anyone recently, brought their dog or cats over to Uk from the states. I am trying to find an USDA approved vet - I am hitting a brick wall.

My regular vet wants to help but is as confused as me.

Any suggestions would be great
thanks

Re: usda approved vets - for PETS scheme
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
Hi there,

I'm just going through this myself, but I've been doing quite a bit of research.  Hopefully this will help:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/exp-pets.html

It's from the USDA/APHIS website that has a lot of information you should need.  There is also a link on the page to find you local USDA accredited vet.

Jenn

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »
Our dogs are coming over on March 3rd.  Just so you know, your vet in the states can do everything you need, but the USDA vet signs off on seeing the rabies test results - essentially that's it.  We found the USDA vet by contacting the USDA office in our state capital (Raleigh at the time).  Sent him/her the travel paperwork, USDA vet stamps it and sends it right back.  That was it.
Dr. Steve

***The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step***

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Im reviving this thread!

So, I was told my by vet, that she is USDA certified and can indorse the final health certificate.  Well, after getting off the phone with the USDA in Sacramento today, they informed me that even though she is USDA/APHIS "accredited" I still have to have the USDA vet sign the final certificate.  So just an FYI to anyone whos going through the Pet Scheme, you MUST have the USDA sign it.  Luckily, the USDA is here in SSF, so Im able to take him the certificate in person on my way to the airport.  For those that have more time, you can mail it and they will send it back, as others on here have already posted. 

Im kinda figuring out that our vets dont know much, if anything about this!  Its up to us to find out all the information and tell them what they need to do! ::)

Other good information on this thread as well... http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=15062.0

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:40:21 PM »
Most vets today are "certified" (My vet said it was a two hour class to get it), so you should have no problem finding a certified vet to fill out the paperwork, take the blood test, etc...  I didn't know this before, but luckily my vet is certified (something like 80% of all vets are), so I don't have to worry!
Then, you have to send your paperwork to your state USDA vet and you should do it one month or so before you leave.  That's the advice my state vet's office gave me.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 08:55:48 AM »
Most vets today are "certified" (My vet said it was a two hour class to get it), so you should have no problem finding a certified vet to fill out the paperwork, take the blood test, etc... I didn't know this before, but luckily my vet is certified (something like 80% of all vets are), so I don't have to worry!
Then, you have to send your paperwork to your state USDA vet and you should do it one month or so before you leave. That's the advice my state vet's office gave me.

Uber Yank - I'm not sure how you can it this documentation stamped a month prior. If you're flying either BA or Continental then they require that the health certificates be issued no more than 10 days prior to flight. A health certificate issued a month or so before would not be valid for flight. Your state vet may not be aware that the airlines have their own rules for allowing the pet to fly.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:01:27 PM »
Hmmm...that's interesting.  I'll check with the airline I'm using (BMI).  Thanks :D

Sponsored Links