Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: visa waver question  (Read 723 times)

• Filed SETM - 24/06/06
  • Liked: 0
visa waver question
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:44:21 AM »
A couple years ago, my husband would have come to visit me in the states on the Visa Waiver program.  Now we're thinking of going to the states again together and I've been looking through the requirements.  On the way out of the country, would my husband have needed to talk to someone and get a stamp or something, because looking at his passport, I see only the entry stamp, and I believe we still have the little form and there is no indication of when he returned.  I'm afraid he's in a database somewhere, and if he tries to enter the country, he'll be pounced on.  Anyone remember the proper process for the visa waiver program and/or have any suggestions?

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
Re: visa waver question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 06:20:44 AM »
I vaguely recall that I got back to the UK with the return half of my Visa Waiveronce, and being (needlessly as it turned out) worried about it.  I'm sure it's quite a frequent  occurrence, and that the cards get lost between return checkin desk and authorities from time to time too.  There's no exit stamps from the USA - no mechanism for them to provide one

I've found that travelling to the USA on Visa Waiver, British Passport, American wife is easy.  Go through immigration together and the'll be far more friendly to your husband than they are to "unaccompanied aliens". (I'm guessing he's British, and can check all the correct boxes on the form - he's not, for example, left the USA claiming diplomatic immunity in the past.  Also guessing that you're going for holiday / to visit family and returning to the UK).

P.S.  If you don't get much/enough of an answer in the quiet "Travel and Transport" section you might like to try "Visas" too. But you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 06:22:21 AM by GrahamE »
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:18:09 AM »
My husband didn't return the little green card the last time he left the US (Oct 2003 -- the card was stapled in his passport and he lost it somehow).  When we returned for a visit in December 2004, he entered with no problems at all.  I think those little cards get lost all the time.  Graham is right -- going through immigration together is the easiest thing -- they're much nicer (and ask fewer questions) to my DH because I'm standing there with him.

• Filed SETM - 24/06/06
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 11:12:53 AM »
Thank you :).  Does filling the waiver app out in the first place not result in his being entered into some database?  I'm concerned that he'll be asked if he overstaid and be pressed for evidence.

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 08:10:29 PM »
Thank you :).  Does filling the waiver app out in the first place not result in his being entered into some database?  I'm concerned that he'll be asked if he overstaid and be pressed for evidence.

Maybe it does result in some database entry ... but the fact that he's outside coming in when the database says he's already insite will assure the immigration officer that the database is wrong  ;D ;D

Several of us have been there ... it's not been a problem ...
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi,

LOL - this brings back memories.  The 1st time I went to the states they forgot to take back the return slip.  As I was sitting in Manchester Airport awaiting my plane for the 2nd trip I noticed it was still there from the 1st, when I read it I was horrified to find I may not get back into the US, so i removed it from my passport, travelled and passed through immigration with no problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve

• Filed SETM - 24/06/06
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 03:13:16 PM »
Hi,

LOL - this brings back memories.  The 1st time I went to the states they forgot to take back the return slip.  As I was sitting in Manchester Airport awaiting my plane for the 2nd trip I noticed it was still there from the 1st, when I read it I was horrified to find I may not get back into the US, so i removed it from my passport, travelled and passed through immigration with no problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve

Oh dear, that's funny!  Thank you for the reassurance  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab