Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: benefits  (Read 1499 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
benefits
« on: June 22, 2003, 07:16:42 PM »
I am in the middle off getting residency, it has not been a breeze but should be OK. I have to start a medical treatment that will last a year and will probably take me out of it for a good while. I have been told that I can get benys for this to survive on. But everything seems to be different for us. Do you think I will have any problems because of being a new resident? Thank you, Michael.

Re: benefits
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 08:54:12 PM »
It all depends on what sort of visa you have to be here.  Most visas are only valid if you do not take benefits of any kind.  Residency shouldn't have anything to do with it really.  If your visa says you are able to claim benefits for certain things, then I would expect you would be fine.

Otherwise though, visas such as spousal visas and student visas do not allow for such things.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 01:25:44 AM »
I agree with Wishstar, but you definately need to ask the Home Office. I don't know much about the other visas but in my case I'm not allowed to (I have a FLR visa and soon to have an ILR). If the conditions of your visa are that you're not allowed to take benefits from the government, they will seriously disapprove of it and possibly deny you any future visa you apply for.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 05:33:35 PM »
You can't claim benefits on FLR - you can once you obtain your ILR.  Michael, are you on your way to "citizenship" under your ILR, or do you simply have your FLR?  That will determine whether you're eligible.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 11:27:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

This may be a stupid question but does health care consitute a benefit?

Cheers,

[smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi there

No health care does NOT consitute as a benefit!

All the best, Trish

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 03:09:17 PM »
Hi Trish,

Thank you for the answer.  

Cheers,

[smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

Sponsored Links