Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I've been going to the hospital will they bill me?  (Read 5878 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: I've been going to the hospital will they bill me?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 09:44:10 PM »
I'm not religious but what's that thing about not judging others lest ye be judged yeself? 

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »
Kristi, I don't understand your point. All she has asked is, will she be billed for going to the doc? Upon clarification, she's apparently able to prove she is going to be a resident of the UK soon - which they HAVE asked her. Therefore, what you are saying doesn't seem to be relevant IMO b/c her practice knows what the deal is.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »
I'm not judging anyone.  I stated my opinion.  You always hate that though because you usually disagree with me.

balmerhon.. her hospital asked her if she was a resident.  She said yes but that's not techincally true.  She intends on getting her fiancee visa but she doesn't have it yet.  My point wasn't to anyone in particular.  Just that I find it irresponsible for people to suggest she just keep right on doing what she's doing when it's an abuse of an already overtaxed system.  When she gets her visa, by all means, go to the doctor every single day and have NHS foot the bill.  Until then, she shouldn't wait for a bill.  She should tell the hospital and pay for their services.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »

balmerhon.. her hospital asked her if she was a resident. She said yes but that's not techincally true. 
Actually, according to her post they asked if she intends to become resident and she said yes.  She doesn't say exactly what was said.

I went to link of DH thanks by the way. It states that I am entiltled to NHS service if I could prove that I am taking up residence here and they did ask me about that and I told them yes. Do you think that that's why they are continuing to treat me.  Note:italics Saf's.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 09:57:55 PM »
K -

...It states that I am entiltled to NHS service if I could prove that I am taking up residence here and they did ask me about that and I told them yes. ...

I take that to mean they asked her if she will (soon) be resident here. Which she can most likely prove via her visa application. Hence the advice that she is not in the wrong.

(edit - just saw Saf's post. Same idea...)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 10:00:31 PM »
Yes, but the link that JimH posted said that she's responsible for payment of services up to the point she applies for her visa.  If her application was in process, she'd be fine.  I was basing my opinion on the fact that she said she doesn't have her visa yet. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 10:00:47 PM »
Kristi, thank you for clarifying that you are not judging anyone, because that was not apparent from your posts.  I don't disagree with you that Dannygirl needs to get her visa sorted out - see my post above to her saying exactly that.  Others have said the same.  It is your manner and tone that are objectionable and I don't think I am the only one who would appreciate it if you would try and  express youself in a less peremptory fashion in future.  Thank you.

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 10:09:11 PM »
My tone?  What exactly can you tell about my tone?  If you don't like the way I phrase my posts, you don't have to read them.  I'm not going to change my posting style because it might offend someone's delicate sensibilities.  I don't tell you how to post.  If I disagree with you about something, I'm perfectly capable of agreeing to disagree.  However, not everyone is.  God forbid someone try to engage in intelligent conversation and discourse. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 10:18:02 PM »
dannygirl,

I'm not involved in any controversy over this.  I just want to point out that Kristi has correctly stated what that link says, as well as what our experience was.  

Keep in mind that the hospital may take a while to sort out what you owe.  That was our experience from a short hospital stay for my wife, who is actually British but was not ordinarily resident in the UK at the time.  The hospital did not seem to be sure what to charge, and it certainly did not know how to deal with my US insurance cover.  We eventually got a bill, and the hospital eventually got paid.  In the end, everyone was happy.

Jim

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 10:20:35 PM »
dannygirl,

I'm not involved in any controversy over this.  I just want to point out that Kristi has correctly stated what that link says, as well as what our experience was. 

Keep in mind that the hospital may take a while to sort out what you owe.  That was our experience from a short hospital stay for my wife, who is actually British but was not ordinarily resident in the UK at the time.  The hospital did not seem to be sure what to charge, and it certainly did not know how to deal with my US insurance cover.  We eventually got a bill, and the hospital eventually got paid.  In the end, everyone was happy.

Jim

So in your experience, Jim, (and I appreciate you do not want to be involved in controversy,) someone not ordinarily resident will get a bill for services?

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 10:28:22 PM »
Have to agree that she might NOT get a bill, but if the system was working properly, she SHOULD get a bill, because she is not legally entitled to use the Health Service.

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 10:33:02 PM »
My husband received NHS dental teatment when he was here on holiday, several months before we married. The dentist knew he didn't live here but still only charged him his NHS rate of £10 for an emergency wisdom tooth extraction.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 10:39:04 PM »
So in your experience, Jim, (and I appreciate you do not want to be involved in controversy,) someone not ordinarily resident will get a bill for services?

Yes.  Besides my experience, I remember a TV report on Panorama or someplace which showed how the hospital back office people went about doing just that.  (And came up short by millions of pounds.  But I'm not trying to start another thread!)

Jim

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2005, 11:02:06 PM »
I don't have a finance visa yet, I am here on my vistors still and I was wondering if they might send my spouse a bill because they did take his name and address. 

This confuses me, too. Did she tell them that her fiance was her husband?

Also, when they asked if she was taking up residence, they should have asked when. (I don't know if they did.)  You could have asked me last year if I was taking up residence in the UK, and I could truthfully have said yes because I planned to move the following year.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2005, 11:14:28 PM »
I'm actually surprised that some people have acted as if not getting a bill is perfectly acceptable and that dannygirl should just go about her business. She's not entitled to NHS care until she has her settlement visa. Encouraging her to just continue right along, IN MY OPINION, is shocking and irresponsible.

Well, I've read over this and I'm not sure where you're coming from Kristi.  The responses were pretty much get your visa sorted out and possibly expect a bill. The responses about not being billed were all in response to another posters question.   The hospital has asked the questions that they need to ask, she's been honest about her status and that is pretty much it.  Would you perfer that she refuse to attend any anti-natal appointments until she receives a bill?  Surely not.  The way the NHS works the baby will be born before it's sorted.  Not to mention the fact that it is highly likely that she will be legally entitled to NHS care sometime during this pregnancy and it would no doubt be a bigger mess to sort out the other way. 
The bottom line is that it is VITAL that a person receive ante-natal care and no hospital is going to refuse treatment.  And it is amoral to deny treatment to a person who needs it. 

Sweetpeach, your point is mute.  She's living here, she's pregnant, she is going to establish residency.  She gave the right answer.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab