Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shipping to UK - paying duty & VAT?  (Read 3590 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Shipping to UK - paying duty & VAT?
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:38:14 AM »
Has anyone had to pay VAT & Duty for packages?

I am having a couple of things sent to me from the US (2 big boxes with ~$180.00 value each).  They are being sent straight from the purchased shop. (non-gift items; boxes will be big enough I am sure they will get checked)    

On the customs forms for declared value - do you put it USD or GBP? 
Then how is VAT & Duty calculated.  (is it based on my US purchase price or what these items would have cost in the UK? - these items would have been £200+ for similar items - they are not sold here from what I can tell)
How do I pay?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 09:44:30 AM by henrygirls »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Shipping to UK - paying duty & VAT?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:46:35 AM »
If your packages are pulled for customs tax, they'll send you a letter.  Not sure how they calculate it - probably exchange the $ amount declared on the package into £ and then base it on that?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »
This is obviously not scientific, but...my mom sent a box of sheets and towels (my own...not new!) and checked "merchandise" on the box.  She put a value of $150.  We ended up having to pay £45 in duty (though we didn't get a letter -- ParcelForce delivered the package and gave us the notice at the point of delivery).

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 03:58:34 PM »
The only time I had anything stopped was when my mother sent over my great aunt's ring for my husband to propose to me with - and they didn't even try to deliver it - they sent a letter.  Maybe because they wanted over £300 for it?!

We wrote a letter explaining what the ring was and what it was coming into the country for and they finally delivered it.  But it took a full month.  >:(

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 04:04:44 PM »
The only time I had anything stopped was when my mother sent over my great aunt's ring for my husband to propose to me with - and they didn't even try to deliver it - they sent a letter.  Maybe because they wanted over £300 for it?!

We wrote a letter explaining what the ring was and what it was coming into the country for and they finally delivered it.  But it took a full month.  >:(

Eeeek!  I would have FREAKED!   :o

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 04:11:48 PM »
Um, yeah, I did kinda.  Well, not kinda.  I did well and truly freak for the entire month... :o

- Benjamin Franklin

• Hi there.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 04:24:33 PM »
Lola --- thanks for the data points ---- they charged you over 57%????  I though VAT was only suppose to be 17.5% + Duty (max 14%)

Peedal - Wow £300 -- glad you finally got the ring!

Thanks for your insight!

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »
This is obviously not scientific, but...my mom sent a box of sheets and towels (my own...not new!) and checked "merchandise" on the box. She put a value of $150. We ended up having to pay £45 in duty (though we didn't get a letter -- ParcelForce delivered the package and gave us the notice at the point of delivery).

It would appear the fee is £15 for every $50, then, because our friends payed £30 on a package we sent insured for $100.  And we'd put "gift"!!
 :o

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
i received a gift , sent directly from victoria's secret (US) to me in the UK. the cost of the item was $70, and i was charged £40 duty . the package came with fedex. i complained that the item was a gift, and that i could buy the same item here for the amount of duty i paid. the man replied ' exactly! that's the point of duty. he did say that if the item hadn't been sent directly from a company that i could have had the gift exemption.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 09:24:47 PM »
I've had various items of technical equipment sent over from the U.S. for years, and have come to the conclusion that the whole customs and import duty system is a complete racket. 

There are different import duty rates depending upon the type of goods.   VAT on most items is, as has been stated, 17.5% but there is a catch.  Customs & Excise don't just add the VAT to the original item price.  They add the import duty first, then add the VAT to the total, so you are charged VAT on the import tax!      :o

It gets even worse though.  The value that they use can be based on the declared item price plus the shipping charges.    So you can be charged import duty and VAT on postage.     The whole system is grossly unfair in my opinion, but that's the way it works.

You also need to watch the calculations very carefully.  Some years ago I had a whole batch of parcels arrive with the usual red "CUSTOMS - CHARGE" stickers on them, and somebody had taken the U.S. dollar prices and calculated the charges as though the figures were pounds Sterling.     
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 04:34:01 PM »
That's why I have anything sent to my mom, then she sends it to me, and regardless, marks it 'crap'.
Er, 'personal used items'.
 :)

Anything to make it devoid of any kind of interest.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

Sponsored Links