Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Likely to find a job from the US?  (Read 2856 times)

• Liked: 0
Likely to find a job from the US?
« on: February 11, 2005, 09:49:32 AM »
Im going to start looking for a non-IT job in the UK from the US, but Im less than confident that anything will come of this.  Im a citizen of an EU country so its not a problem from that standpoint.  I plan on looking at supply teacher and asylum work crap because thats what I have experience in, but anything would be ok just to start.  Even food-related work.  And I have a degree for what thats worth. 

I dont want to move until I have a job offer or at least some promising interviews.  Anybody successfully do this? 

Re: Likely to find a job from the US?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:55:06 AM »
I think a few people on the board have been lucky to be answered at all when applying for a job in the UK from the US, or elsewhere.  I was not one of those people.  It was not till I was living in the UK that I actually received calls and emails.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »
You do have some advantage over US citizens -- at least you're an EU citizen and already have residence and work privileges in the UK.  That might get your foot in the door, but Stacey's right -- it's very difficult to get employers to listen to you when you're so far away with no exact plans for moving. 

If you're wanting to do some supply teaching, I'd say just go ahead and move over.  There's so much demand that I'm sure you'll get a placement within a few days of getting here -- agencies are everywhere!  If nothing else, you can do that while you're looking for something more permanent.

• Hi there.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 02:03:45 PM »
I haven't done it yet, but I'm in the same situation.  We don't have enough money saved up to support ourselves indefinitely while job searching, so we can't move over until I have a job offer.  I'm a UK citizen, so I can job search freely ahead of time.  My gf won't be able to until she has her visa.

What I plan to do is pick a moving date, and in my cover letters state that I will be living in London as of that date.  I hope that level of certainty will help.  (They don't need to know that I won't move if I don't get a job--if they don't hire me, what I do is of no concern to them.)
Liz

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 05:57:43 AM »
Kind of old post, but yeah thanks for replying.  I sent 10 resumes a couple days ago for teaching jobs (crap supply teaching mostly) and got basically 10 offers, though.  Theyre obviously as desperate for people to take those jobs in the UK as they are in America.  Still, its surprising certainly, because Ive been looking for a job in the US (New England as well as Chicago) for the past two years with very little to show for it.  Apply 5000 miles away and get flooded with offers.  Weird.  Not a job I want to do long term, but good to have something set up before I go. 

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »
i applied for jobs in the UK from the US. I think I applied for about 5 or 6 jobs, got three interviews and got the job i am currently at. Not a bad response at all. They interviewed me over video conferencing and i got the job pretty much the next day. So it is easiler than you think...i think a lot of companies are used to hire people internationally nowadays. Keep applying, otherwise, you just never know.
 :)

• Hi there.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 07:11:30 PM »
webgrrl, that's encouraging to hear.  I don't have a webcam to do video conference, but would gladly buy one; it would be far cheaper than buying a plane ticket and hotel to interview in person!  What field are you in?  Were you legally able to work in the UK already, or did you get a work permit through the job you got?
Liz

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:38:18 PM »
Formica
you don't have to buy a webcam, a lot of places provide video conferencing facility for a fee (check your local universities) and when i interviewed with my current workplace, they pay for that fee. They got the work permit for me and took care of all the paperwork, so this can be done. I am in instructional technology field. (how to use technology in education) I am sure people in other fields have done it...my work place is full of people from everywhere...so i think you will have a good chance. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to know more specifics.

• Hi there.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 03:21:29 PM »
I am starting the application process now.  I saw one ad for a job that I really, really want.  It's in a research institute that I had already picked ages ago as a great potential place for me to work.

My main concern is that the ad is out now and they want someone to start soon, but I'm not available until after my current project ends on 30 June.  I'm applying anyway, in the hopes that if they really like my CV they may interview me anyway and perhaps be willing to work with me on a start date.  We'll see.
Liz

• Another pint, please!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 10:05:23 PM »
Does anyone know if supply teachers have to have a teaching credential in order to be placed? Or does it depend on the school?

I have a M.Ed. and am now working on my Ph.D. in educational technology but won't have a PGCE equivalent--I actually teach some of the courses in my university's teacher training programme (a Master's in Teaching programme).

Anyway, just curious... supply cover would be an ideal first job as I get started but wasn't sure of the qualifications. Here in Washington, you have to have a valid teaching credential to be a substitute teacher.

-B

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 10:39:59 AM »

This is one of the bigger agencies that specialize in supply teachers.  It's probably best to have a word with them. 

http://www.timeplan.com/

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 10:49:53 AM »
Why would anyone want to do supply work!!! Be warned, it is a TOUGH job and the pay is combat pay.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 11:26:22 AM »
I agree!  Baylor, with your qualifications, you should be able to secure more fulfilling and better paying job.  I've noticed a lot of educational technology posts recently and most have been in the £30K range, which is pretty darn good for up here (Newcastle).

Not saying you shouldn't consider supply teaching, but you probably won't have to!   ;)

• Another pint, please!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm sure I'll be fine... I'm shooting for consultancy work, and I don't think I'll have a problem. You know, just planning for the worst-case scenario. :P

But my partner shouldn't have a problem finding work either, so at least we'll have one income as I look for something!

• My Site
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 08:33:17 PM »
Hello folks - I'll do my 'official' introduction elsewhere but just wanted to say how glad I am to have found you! Everyone seems lovely and courteous and helpful.

Some of the posts on this thread have been very reassuring. I'm a Polish citizen living in the US (for the past 10+ years) and am looking for web design-related work in the UK. No hits just yet but then again I've only started last week!

My question is as follows: how much luck have you had with .uk job sites, i.e. totaljobs.co.uk? I've started there, as well as with the papers (Guardian, etc) but I know that positions posted there always get FLOODED with applications. Thoughts?

Vera

Sponsored Links