Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Total cost of moving dog to UK  (Read 2817 times)

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
  • Liked: 1
Total cost of moving dog to UK
« on: February 14, 2005, 07:10:21 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what to budget for getting my dog from the US to UK.

I've done the microchip and test, and her 6 month waiting period is up on April 23.

1.  Where do I get an airline approved crate, and how much does it cost?  She weighs about $45 pounds.

2.  How much do the airlines usually charge for animal as cargo?  I'll be flying her either Virgin Atlantic from Dulles to Heathrow, or American Airlines from Raleigh/Durham to Gatwick.

3.  Someone on another thread mentioned a fee that the UK charges to process the animal into the country.  This is the first I've heard of this!  What is it for?  Is it a flat fee, or does it vary with the size/breed/etc of the animal?

4.  Any other surprises (financial or otherwise) I need to be prepared for?

Please help! 
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

• Mellowing with age.
Re: Total cost of moving dog to UK
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 07:17:25 PM »
I got my crate at a pet store.  My dog is 90lbs so I had to get the biggest one they make.  It's a VariKennel.  Certain airlines have different requirements so check with whoever you fly with (check the DEFRA website for approved carriers and routes).  My crate was about $140 I believe but I got it about 18 months ago and I can't remember the exact price.

The rest, I'm not sure of because I'm still waiting to bring my pup over.  :-)  Sorry!  Good luck with your move..
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 08:58:21 PM »
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=343.105

has some links to our costs on Virgin... it's a bit of a read to get through the whole thread, but our entire experience is on there.... all for two dogs and one cat...

good luck!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 09:13:43 PM »
1.  Where do I get an airline approved crate, and how much does it cost?  She weighs about $45 pounds.

I got my cat's crate from PetCo -- I forget the brand, but it had a label on it saying it was airline approved. My cat weighs 25 lbs, so I actually had to get a medium-dog sized crate!!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links