Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Are you a "druggie"  (Read 3938 times)

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Are you a "druggie"
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 02:59:41 PM »
I always have ibuprofen because it never fails that if I'm far from home, I'll get a killer headache.  When I travel, I have a small pharmacy in my toiletries..  because I'm always the first one with a cold, stomach bug or killer blister.

I don't like to pop pills too quickly though.  If I have a headache and I'm at home, I'll try drinking a lot of water and resting before I take anything.  If I'm away from home, it's pills all the way.   ;)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 04:34:43 PM »
I suffer from both a kidney disease and a "rare blood disease" (not quite as bad as hemophilia, but a bleeding thing) and can not take even so much as an aspirin or "Tylenol" to ease the pain of anything.  You name it, I can't (shouldn't) take it.

It's been this way my whole life, so I've found other ways to combat ailments.  Headache?  Loads of water and a dim room to nap in.  Tooth ache?  Chew on a whole clove or a stick of celery (both have natural anesthetics).  Cold?  Vit C and zinc...and keep it coming (on top of my daily Vitamin and Mineral routine).  I will only take something if I can not get out of bed--at all.  But, since my body has gotten so used to no drugs, I have a pretty high pain threshold.

When I get a kidney infection, or when a cyst on my kidneys breaks open, it is normally a high dose of Cipro, a kidney drug, then off to bed to wish I were dying. 

DF is a Nuropen guy--he gets headaches every week or so and pops them like crazy.  One of my sisters (though she will never admit it) is addicted to prescription drugs and talks proudly of taking her Vicadin all the time (can we all say "Valley of the Dolls"?). 

Overall, I think that people over-medicate themselves in the Western world.  I suppose this thought is likely because I have learned to cope without, but I often wish I could teach people the "natural" pain killers I've found...

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »
Overall, I think that people over-medicate themselves in the Western world. 

ITA.  In the world of professional sports, kidney probs from Tylenol is not an unusual thing.  It is nothing to mess around with, despite the ease of aquistion. 

If only our organs could talk...

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »
My British hubby would rather piss and moan about every ache and pain under the sun...My head hurts! My back aches! My piles are acting up!! But he never takes anything! Take a pill man and shuuuuttt up!!  ::)
Why is it the end of the world when my husband gets sick  ???

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 08:12:40 PM »
Take a pill man and shuuuuttt up!!  ::)

OMG I read that and burst out laughing!  Richard thinks I'm ill!!!

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 08:19:06 PM »
Everyone in this house comes to me when they have a pain. And like a few others, it never fails that I need something while I'm out- so always have tylenol sinus, ibuprofen, Zantac, codeine, etc in my bag.

Only my girlfriend is worse. She is a walking PDR, and has a pill for everything!.......lol

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 08:52:44 PM »
Better living through chemistry... that's my motto!

I take a lot of drugs (headache tablets, indigestion tablets, sleep aids, etc) ... i dont see any point in suffering if you dont have to.

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 08:57:47 PM »

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 09:10:16 AM »
I don't think I take too may pills.  I tend to have to be feeling pretty rotten first.  I used to get really bad migraines, but have since found that exercise, lots of water, and enough sleep tends to keep them at bay.  That said, when I do take an advil (of which I have a huge bottle of too!) I am rather inclined to have three or so.  But that's usually because by the time I break down and take the stupid things, I'm pretty convinced I'm going to die.  :)

No home is complete without a giant bottle of Pepto tho! 

Just a warning about Excederin:  I have not one but two horror stories of people I know who have over done it with that stuff and had serious, long term health problems because of it.  It really shouldn't be used regularly.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 09:18:15 AM »
My British hubby would rather piss and moan about every ache and pain under the sun...My head hurts! My back aches! My piles are acting up!! But he never takes anything! Take a pill man and shuuuuttt up!!  ::)
Why is it the end of the world when my husband gets sick  ???
Ok -- I know my husband is an only child -- and I know he's NOT living a double life -- but you've just descrived him!!!  Long lost brothers separated at birth? :o

(really -- what I want to know is when a cold is present -- WHY do the legs fail?  "can you get me a cup of tea?"  -- yes I can -- and so can YOU!)  >:D

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 10:03:08 AM »

I take a lot of drugs (headache tablets, indigestion tablets, sleep aids, etc) ... i dont see any point in suffering if you dont have to.

I agree whole-heartedly!  Not like you get extra brownie points for suffering

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 10:05:32 AM »
(really -- what I want to know is when a cold is present -- WHY do the legs fail? "can you get me a cup of tea?" -- yes I can -- and so can YOU!) >:D
LOL
You should see my poor miserable hubby try to take a pill. After much urging from me he'll take one pill at a time and gag it down. Watching him take a pill is like watching them eat cows eyeballs on fear factor! lol

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 10:06:27 AM »
No doubt.

Mndy, I declare that you are the Gwen Stefani of this board!

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 10:32:48 AM »

Amen to that!  I had to have a medically assisted childbirth, and was shocked when they offered me only paracetemol.  Um, yeah, RIGHT!  Needless to say, I got them to cough up the codeine.  C-sections?  My sister had a freakin' demerol pump after hers in the US.  I can only imagine them here, coming round w/two tablets of paracetemol after major abdominal surgery. 

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 10:44:48 AM »
Amen to that! I had to have a medically assisted childbirth, and was shocked when they offered me only paracetamol. Um, yeah, RIGHT! Needless to say, I got them to cough up the codeine. C-sections? My sister had a freakin' demerol pump after hers in the US. I can only imagine them here, coming round w/two tablets of paracetamol after major abdominal surgery.
After my c/s they gave me oral morphine which was crap! If things got too bad they would give you a morphine injection but other than that they gave you the morphine vials, paracetamol and ibuprofen. They give it to you all at once and you have to dose it out to yourself and log everything on a paper.
Right now I'm having some trouble. I have a horrible pain in my lower left abdomen. I have been to the doctor (quack) twice including yesterday and was told just to take paracetamol. I feel like my insides are falling out and they give me paracetamol! Love the NHS!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab