Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cricket for Americans?  (Read 1332 times)

• Liked: 0
Cricket for Americans?
« on: February 17, 2005, 08:31:25 AM »
While still in the U.S. (San Jose, CA), I was on a cricket team.  Granted, I was the only native-born AMerican in the entire 26 team league (!), as the vast majority of the other players were east Indians who had come over to Silicon Valley for tech work.  But they were very accepting and encouraging, as I had only played in a few pick up games when I was at Oxford 20 years prior.

Now that we are living in England (Durham), I'd like to continue playing cricket.  Durham as a ton of various teams, including a team for staff and faculty at the University, but I'm curious about other Americans who are playing the game (do you find the transition from baseball a hindrance to your stance, etc.?)...

Anyone else out there trying to keep a stiff upper lip against a sticky wicket?

~ Mark
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: Cricket for Americans?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 10:39:02 AM »
I used to play for a pub team. One of the other teams we played said they had an American who played for them the previous year. Apparently he knew nothing about cricket but quickly became their best batsman and was particularly famous for hitting enormous sixes.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 01:36:10 PM »
As an American woman I'm actually going to start learning how to play this summer for a women's team.  The other northern Americans who played last year were told that they were better than the women from England who were learning...so I don't think that being American will be a hindrance...

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:17:38 AM »
I'm now joining a cricket club (some location/clubhouse) so that I can continue to have that social outlet.

Onetiger, I'm curious to hear about your cricket endevours!  Have you played previously?  I was on a team in the U.S., but did not play on the first XI, as I am pretty unskilled.  I still remember coming home after my first day of batting practice in the nets -- a cricket bat is so much heavier than a baseball bat, and because the grip and stance often requires you to lift the bat to meet the ball, my wrists were tired!  I picked up an iron skillet that evening and nearly dropped it.

I'm looking to get on a squad here in England as well, though I admit to being a little intimidated to be out there with a bunch of fellows who grew up with the game.  Durham University has a faculty club that might be a good place to start.

Anyway, let me know how it goes!  I'm happy to see that I'm not the only cricket fan at UK-Yankee!  It's far and away my favourite game.

The Counties season starts today (13 April), hooray!  Any more cricket enthusiasts here?

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 09:59:46 PM »
I grew up playing cricket here in the UK,  but lost touch with it when I moved to the US.  I'm sure if I stayed my whole life in the UK, I would love the sport, but I don't really fancy it anymore.  I still know the rules of the game and I do occasionally watch some matches.  As an Indian, I do sometimes watch matches between India and Pakistan due to the enormous rivalry, and currently, both of them are playing ODIs in India after the Test matches were a draw.

bvamin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 12:19:54 PM »
I'd like to be a cricket fan, but nobody's ever taught me the rules of the game and I'm absolutely clueless about it.

Zizi, try this -- it's a explanation by an American for Americans. 

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ABOUT_CRICKET/EXPLANATION/CRICKET_EXPLAINED_AMERICAN.html

The explanations draw on baseball analogies, etc. to make it a little more intuitive for us.  Hope it helps bring you to the game...it really is a lovely way to spend an afternoon... especially if you've got plenty of Pimm's Cup!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 01:31:50 PM »
Zizi, try this -- it's a explanation by an American for Americans. 

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ABOUT_CRICKET/EXPLANATION/CRICKET_EXPLAINED_AMERICAN.html

The explanations draw on baseball analogies, etc. to make it a little more intuitive for us.  Hope it helps bring you to the game...it really is a lovely way to spend an afternoon... especially if you've got plenty of Pimm's Cup!

Thank you, Bunny!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »
I was hoping I was getting away from cricket when I split up with my ex and when I married an American I thought I was safe. No such luck.  He went to Lords last summer and last week edited a cricket supplement in his new job.  :P

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 03:31:38 PM »
As a huge baseball fan, I want to like cricket and learn more about it. DH knows a bit about it but he's not very into it or any sport for that matter. I once went out with him and some of his coursemates who were batting and fielding. They 'kindly' let me take a few swings. One of them actually sat down in the field while I was up though! As a former recreational softball player, I do have a bit of control over a bat - so I nailed him with it. He stood up after that!  :D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 02:33:41 PM »
Heehee!  Tomorrow night is my first cricket practice...if you hear laughter happening in West Hampstead by a large number of women around 7:30pm...it's probably my crew!

Sponsored Links