Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you doing here?  (Read 1485 times)

What are you doing here?
« on: June 26, 2003, 01:54:21 PM »
I work in a Tourist Information Centre here in NI. We do get loads of Americans coming in through our doors! When l help some of them they don't realize l am American, they think l am Irish  :-/ Nothing bad about being Irish mind you but....l don't have the accent.
On the flip side l have had Americans come up to me and just love the fact that l am American and only want me to help them. "I can understand you better!" they whisper to me. But of course comes the questions,

1. What are you doing here? or What made you move here?
2. Do you miss home?
3. How do you like the weather?  A misconception even l had before l moved here............it doesn't ALWAYS rain here!! It actually rains more in Scotland than it does here in lreland!  

l usually don't mind answering the questions, but some days you just wish they would ask you something different!  

Any one else get other questions?

• Liked: 0
Re: What are you doing here?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 05:43:01 PM »
From some of the younger Brits I get, "Why did you leave America for here."  Mostly though, they just want to know where in America I'm from.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
~Helen Keller

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 12:02:26 AM »
That sounds familiar! I always got the old, "Why did you LEAVE America for HERE?" from almost everyone I met. I also got a lot of people asking "Don't you miss home?" Or they'd gush about how much they love America.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 11:47:49 AM »
"the grass is always greener" That's exactly what l thought too!  :-/

Now, l know better!  :)  

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 07:00:06 PM »
I get this a lot:

"So do you own a gun?"
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 01:45:18 AM »
I came from Florida. I'm usually made to feel I was a fool for leaving. If only they understood.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 11:04:48 PM »
I also work in the tourism industry and get asked all those questions almost on a daily basis.  I must admit I don't really get WHY did you leave America for HERE so much, but maybe maybe that is because I live so close to Yorkshire and they are a bit like Texans when it comes to loyality.  ;)  

I also get the Americans not realizing I'm an American thing as well.  We have a cafe on the premises which sells a whole variety (big pitch, now!) of gorgeous home made baked goods.  One of the things we sell is flapjack.  I had a whole group of Americans in one day saying how wonderful it is and what is it?  I told them and they proceeded to ask again no, what is it?  The whole situation was cleared up when they patiently and long windedly (new word!) described what they knew as a flapjack, which was of course a pancake!    
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

Sponsored Links