Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: CV Help  (Read 1142 times)

• Liked: 0
CV Help
« on: February 18, 2005, 08:46:15 PM »
I'm planning to move to london late this year to join my boyfriend. Fortunately we have a London office and i was told that they can just do an interoffice transfer. However, the Operations Mgr asked me to send them my CV.

Is there a certain format/guide that i need to follow?

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: CV Help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 01:26:11 PM »
This site should help. It helped me. I just learned that I no longer have to put my marital status on my CV.

http://www.trotman.co.uk/default.asp?action=article&id=397

Hope this helps.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 08:58:43 PM »
Thanks Ashley. 'will check that out! Enjoy the weekend!

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 05:03:58 PM »
I am working on mine as well.  In business, it seems to be very similar to a resume but I keep seeing inconsistencies on what to include.  Does anyone know of any other really helpful sites or can even post theirs minus the contact information?

Thanks.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 05:12:09 PM »
I just sent my CV to the London branch of my company today. I used a very straightforward format since I have worked for this company almost 6 years and I feel that they can contact my direct supervisor easily. My job is pretty technically specific though, so my training/experience is self explanatory.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:23:51 PM »
You know - I was agonising over my CV so much... Now most of the places that I'm applying have such a lengthy application form that they want completed...it's like doing an essay test for every single job app - honest!  I'm just doing the apps & forget the CV. The apps capture all the same info & then some -- it seems redundant to send the CV also.

Carolyn
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »
You know - I was agonising over my CV so much... Now most of the places that I'm applying have such a lengthy application form that they want completed...it's like doing an essay test for every single job app - honest! I'm just doing the apps & forget the CV. The apps capture all the same info & then some -- it seems redundant to send the CV also.

Carolyn

You really should do the CV as well. It may all be the same stuff but it's much more professional to have the CV as well as the application.  Professional slacker or not ( ;) ) You don't want them to see you like that.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 08:34:50 PM »
You really should do the CV as well. It may all be the same stuff but it's much more professional to have the CV as well as the application.  Professional slacker or not ( ;) ) You don't want them to see you like that.

I'll give it some thought.  The apps I've had lately - basically I'm 'pasting' my CV into the 'blank' the app has for that...and then these apps have a 'defending your life' section wherein you take the job's 'competencies' (listed on a matrix they give you) & explain point by point how you meet each competency & the evidence you have for that. Weirdest dang'd apps I've *EVER* filled out. By the time I've spent preparing my case -- which takes a considerable amount of time -- 'cause I meet all the competencies & 'give evidence'... Oh gosh - it's quite an ordeal really?!  I told DH if I took all this self-discipline & hard work that I'm putting into completing apps -- and put it toward writing instead -- geez - who knows what might happen?!

Oh & some of them are forms sent by e-mail & they don't really want your CV -- but basically the same info in their 'format'.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 08:41:28 PM by carolyn_b »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 08:41:07 PM »
yeah carolyn, you need both.

i remember filling out tons of apps, 5-10 page ones.....at agencies and at jobs....but it's a necessary evil.  and a CV is a MUST

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 08:47:41 PM »
Ok - thanks. I'll see what happens & let you know. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab