Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First and Second Class Degrees  (Read 1180 times)

• Liked: 0
First and Second Class Degrees
« on: February 24, 2005, 05:53:49 PM »
Hey Guys,

We were just wondering what it means when they require first and second class honors degrees, upper and lower?  My fiance will (as of May 15th) have two bachelors degrees and in both he will be graduating with honors.  Will he be okay with admissions?  Do unis just want to make sure that you graduate from an undergraduate program?

Also, given what I just told you about his degrees(from a SUNY school), do you think he will have a tough time getting in to a UK uni?

Any help would be great!!

???

• Liked: 0
Re: First and Second Class Degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 03:27:07 PM »
Hey Guys,

We were just wondering what it means when they require first and second class honors degrees, upper and lower?  My fiance will (as of May 15th) have two bachelors degrees and in both he will be graduating with honors.  Will he be okay with admissions?  Do unis just want to make sure that you graduate from an undergraduate program?

Also, given what I just told you about his degrees(from a SUNY school), do you think he will have a tough time getting in to a UK uni?

Any help would be great!!

???

Degrees from UK university are graded First Class, Upper Second Class, Lower Second Class, Third Class. For US students applying for postgraduate courses most universities will want a GPA of at least 3, possibly even 3.5.

As regards actually getting in - there are big differences in UK universities (as I imagine there are in US universities). It is possible to get into some universities with a very poor first degree, others are  be much more competitive and demand much higher entrance qualifications.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 08:10:37 PM by HME »
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: First and Second Class Degrees
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »
Yes to what HME said. In short, it will depend on the Uni your fiance is interested it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Sponsored Links